New Netflix David Fincher series - Mindhunter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I saw it listed on InstantWatcher.com and didn't know it was Fincher, just saw that somewhere now. Psyched!

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Finished ! Looking forward to next season. Back to Justified on BD now, plus 3 different books. Ah retirement. :winkgrin:

Opeth, Brenald79 and Ed Hughes like this.
  3. After watching it all I think Fincher directed 4 /10 episodes. As I wrote earlier, the style and cinematography is so much like his Zodiac, Gone Girl and the Social Network films. Great writing and acting too.

Probably my second favorite show this year, right after the Handmaid's Tale.

GodShifter, ex_mixer and chacha like this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I like the timbre of his voice, along with his delivery. He really sounds like a guy from somewhere between the Northeast and Midwestern states, kind of grainy, along with the more careful elocution that people of his character's time period cultivated. One buys into his personification without hesitating at all.

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Starting the 6th episode tonight.... hard to stop watching.

" Sequence Killer"...great name for a Band or song...:cool:

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

During the interviews I was remembering all the times in shows an agent has been hurt or killed by an inmate. The FBI guys here didn’t seem concerned.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Interesting. I watched the 10 episodes in 2 Days also and I also felt is seemed like a feature film. I rarely watch a series in a binge like that but I definitely had a “what’s next” curiousity about it.

8. The name, Ed Kemper, sounded familiar, but I don't think I knew his story. This is so wackadoodle. Note the video has him saying some thing verbatim:

The Wikipedia article gives all the details. I can't believe this dude, that someone would do such things

Edmund Kemper - Wikipedia

GodShifter and psychtrailmix like this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I recognised him from Fight Club but looking at his filmography I'm surprised he hasn't been in bigger things as he's very good.

googlymoogly likes this.
  10. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Finished up last night. Loved that final scene.

Gardo likes this.
  11. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Also, Dog Day Afternoon’s theatrical release was Fall 1975, maybe spilling into 1976.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I could not stop watching this show, one of the best things that I've seen in a while. At first, Holden's character seems so buttoned down on the surface that you don't quite realize how out of control he's becoming with his obsessions, but when you look that deeply into the heart of darkness, it leaves a mark on you and his methods become increasingly questionable. The climax was absolutely riveting, culminating in that horrifying embrace from which he finally recoils. The use of music throughout was excellent, but their deployment of Led Zeppelin's "In The Light" was particularly effective here. Of course, the viewers are implicated on some level as well. Like Holden, we are fascinated by these monsters.

painted8, GodShifter, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  13. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Oh wow, I didn't know Ed Kemper was a real serial killer! haha... Thought it was just a character for this show...

14. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

7 Episodes in and really enjoying this. Netflix is killing it with the original content!

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

But being in the recent past is okay by me. I attended a theater in my neighborhood in Chicago, that ran films that had been released in the recent past. Only $1.00 to get in, and you could stay all day.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  16. Yeah in the late 60s through early 80s there was the Times Theater in San Francisco right between Chinatown and North Beach. Every day a different double bill for 99 cents.

Old classics and recent films a year or so later. Remember it started before you could rent and bring films home. It was great.

Myke likes this.
  17. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I remember that the local community college near me would screen films that were a few years old on Friday nights, a buck to get in (the days before VCR's). That's where I saw Cuckoo's Nest, Taxi Driver and Dog Day Afternoon...it was usually a very rowdy crowd.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Myke

Their gender alone made them off these guy's radar.

19. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Watched this and can't believe how intelligent this guy is, yet so f**ked up! And, he knows it but can't really control it. That is one scary human.

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

He’s “memorable” in the early 80s documentary The Killing Of America too.

21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

How do I watch this if I am not signed up for Netflix?

22. Myke

You don't.

Graham and Mazzy like this.
  23. Well, there are ways, but they are more illegal than running a stop sign, yet not as potentially lethal. :shh:

I have NetFlix, though I'm only on ep. 4.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Great series. I hope they do a second season.

GodShifter and turnersmemo like this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Netflix offers a free month trial (for most regions). Just cancel before the month is over.