How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Your opinion.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, there were too many negatives with cassette tapes. Sound quality, skipping tracks. This revival is certainly only nostalgia.

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Here is a creative Rehashing of the Cassette medium:

Artist Erika Iris Simmons (aka iri5) creates artwork from old cassette tapes.
    Which I think is a perfectly good use for those cassettes which are unplayable or atrocious quality.

[Note: like the popular "art/craft" created from vinyl records, I hope the artists are sensitive enough not to trash good quality and especially collectable recordings for their art]

Absolutely Incredible Art made with Old Cassette Tapes

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Well, yeah. That's why I said "I disagree", not "you're wrong". In fact, you can likely attach your quote above to every single post on this forum.

Ed

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hippocampus indeed. :)

6. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Many hi-fi cassette decks allow you to skip between tracks. Besides, it encourages you to listen all the way through, and if you need a break, you can return to the exact same point you left the program at.

7. alexpop

Still looking for pre recorded titles.
    But..some are fetching a pretty penny.

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Cassettes stink, give me one of these babies

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

LOL!! One of the many reasons these are terrible (surely you jest) is shown the flip of your tape. "Wave (Part 1)" and "Wave (part 2)". That speaks for itself, really.

Ed

10. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Dear god no. Yeah, such fond memories of my tape deck eating cassettes that I could barely afford, rewinding and fast-forwarding, the lovely hiss sound...

Yes, I've seen these comeback stories. At first I wondered if they were almost a parody of the vinyl resurgence. Then I realized some folks are being serious about this. Absurd. A terrible format--from artwork to sound to utility.

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

This is what the would-be pundit jokers on this thread are unaware of -- the SQ available on a high quality deck using the high quality tapes. There'd be a lot of jaws agape and shutting up if people knew what you've found out and what I found out 10 or so years ago. The caveat is that this means home dubbing of vinyl records to cassette, not commercially produced high-speed dubbed to ****ty tape, which I guess is what this thread is actually about. I still go back and forth as to which is better -- needledropping to CDR, metal cassette or digital file. I used to do all three. Now I only do cassette and 24/192. No point in CDR anymore, not for me, anyway, unless it's for the car. A type IV cassette on my Nak captures life in voice and acoustic instruments, CDR -- or rather 16/44.1 does not. The 24/192 files do a pretty good job, but a metal cassette is still superior if you ask me -- or rather if you ask my ears -- although I sometimes think I like the way bass tightens up in digital better. But since I'm more focussed on voice and acoustics, I tend to prefer tape. YMMV.

12. alexpop

8-Track?
    This happy madness.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I still have my Pioneer but rarely use it.

They were great for mix tapes for the car.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I don't know what it is exactly, but for some reason that looks like the kind of boots I used to see being sold along the arcade at the country fairs and carnivals I went to as a kid in 1970/1971/1972.

15. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I had a Nakamichi car tape deck and 8-track in car prior.

My only nostalgic interest in these tapes is playing a pink Led Zep 8-track in a late 60's muscle car.

I like cds and records.

16. alexpop

Wonder if they repackaged cassettes in a five inch cassettes box I'm sure they would have a more desired aesthetic appeal.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yup.

Most better decks have a search function where you fast forward with it and it finds the silent break between tracks, not 100% perfect, but usually quite accurate to jump to the next track. I don't like using it as it wears the tape and playback head.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

A well designed package with more visual might give a bit more draw.

I have some cassettes that have some VERY extensive booklets/packaging.

Yes Years cassette box set is great, Hendrix Woodstock cassette has a very large booklet included, just to name 2.

Shak Cohen and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Spoken word cassettes come usually in 5 inch format, though I think a box ala RTR would give the tiny cassette more aesthetic appeal.

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I'm remembering some 12" single-equivalent cassettes having longbox-style big packaging!
    I remember buying a cassingle of Whodini's " One Love " that way, at a Crazy Eddie store in '86...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  21. alexpop

Tower ( think for theft reasons ) had those long cardboard boxes for CDs. Looked very appealing bit of a hassle getting discs out..but had aesthetic wow factor.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've sold many over the last year or so. They were just sitting in boxes in the garage.
    I got six left if anyone is interested.

23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

Six cassettes? Six longboxes?

rple Jim, post: 17390898, member: 21612"]I've sold many over the last year or so. They were just sitting in boxes in the garage.
    I got six left if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

24. alexpop

Great cassette titles don't pop up in b&m shops again all subjective.

25. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

..." b&m shops "?

expop, post: 17390903, member: 2428"]Great cassette titles don't pop up in b&m shops again all subjective.[/QUOTE]

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.