How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Longboxes cds The Smiths spring to mind. The great thing was they housed the cd/jewel case inside..but they just screamed out to me put them in your shopping basket, of course that could apply to cassettes as well.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. alexpop

Bricks & Mortar^

WLL likes this.
  3. alexpop

Noticed though that non cool album titles go for 50c to 2.00. Beatles fetch 5.00/10.00 in b&m/ thrift stores.

4. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

[​IMG]

no "rehashing" here. for this stupid old git tapes never went away. daftly, I missed the whole download thing, prior to that gave cd's a go but they were just a jarringly loud no thank you. I started on cass walkmans in the mid 80's and still pocket one on my way out the door every day. Had a listen to my daughters iPod 10 years ago to see if I should get with the program but it was just a tinpot squawk. No thank you. Continued on with cass walkmans. Some MEAT in your music.

had about 3 of these over the last 20 years:

[​IMG]

Sony WM FX-888.

Production ceased in 2003.

if you can find one of these you are SORTED.

mine all eventually broke.

usually its either the auto reverse that roots them or the jack hole gets loose and the sound cuts out intermittently (it's back! oh its gone) and proceeds to drive you bats**t insane. I love these things so much that would persevere for months walking/commuting keeping one finger pushing against the phones input before eventually crying no mas.

Currently using

[​IMG]

Sony WM-EX900.

Stone cold killer. Daftly though, the volume only has 3 default settings.:

-Mildly pleasant.

-Loud.

-Skullshaftingly loud.

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The answers in the ad

"With their hybridity of source and potential for subjective reading, they rise among the first works of Post-Modern thinking within the creative fields."

I'm in

6. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Among the last purchases of cassttes I recall making, especially new " full album " cassettes from a " real record store ", were, turn of the century/-ish, purchases from the Virgin Megastore in San Francisco (It was a...Forever 21?? not sure...when I last left SF.)of:
    Los Fabs' " HELP!" album - a British pressing with an oddly rearranged track listing
    Lem's" You Can't Stop The Bum Rush " (" Steal My Sunshine " album.
    That was that!

7. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Your observation that a metal tape captures life in voice and instruments but 16/44.1 doesn't is very interesting, as is your opinion that metal is still better than 24/192! I've been meaning to acquire a Sony HAP hi rez player and do some comparisons myself. I think the lowly cassette really does do something very pleasing to the ear that's pretty hard to describe.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

More for trashing...

Except for Hearts Of Fire Soundtrack.....until the tracks become available on CD.

9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It would be cool as an alternative format to CD/digital. I would think cassettes and cassette decks would be cheaper to make than vinyl records and turntables. And if they did it right, using good tape and dubbing from analog sources at the right speed, they could actually sound good.

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I still have my cassette collection, but my 3 head denon deck needs repair...

11. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I think they should be prohibited and anybody involved in producing new cassettes should be imprisoned.

johnnyyen likes this.
  12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you don't mind shipping it, Sventech Electronics in Missoula is a top notch Cassette Deck Repair Service.

13. Sprague Dawley

I think a "sound" beating should suffice, haha, see what I did there, oh god never mind

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I never thought cassettes sounded as good as LPs. For quality playback on my home system I would never use them. At the time, they filled the need for a portable format and they were much better than 8 track (and more portable). For use in a car system or earbuds there are better options now and any advantage of cassettes being analog is wasted in these applications. I think this is a format with very little to offer these days outside of nostalgia.

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I haven't had any way to play them in many years, so . . .

Of course, I haven't had anything but a CD player in many years--no turntable, either. (And definitely no 8-track player, although surprisingly, I still had an 8-track player that worked for about as long as I still had a turntable and cassette deck--I last had all three 10-15 years ago.)

Last time I bought a pre-recorded cassette was probably . . . 1983 or so? I still bought blank cassettes until the mid 90s, at least, mostly to run off copies of demos or band rehearsals, and I still had a cassette multitrack that I used occasionally until the mid 90s. Sometime in the mid 90s I switched to a CD burner instead though.

And the last time I bought something on vinyl would have been the early 90s--I was buying 12" singles on vinyl. The last time I bought an album on vinyl was probably 1986 or 1987.

16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I have a working Dragon and even I don't want to see cassettes come back. I mostly use it to play old audiobooks that have never been released in digital form.

17. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Good portable music in their day but i threw all my cassettes away when i moved a few years ago and didn't even flinch, i haven't missed one of them.

I really don't understand the "cassette revival" lately.

18. Sprague Dawley

That's like having a Concorde and using it to taxi around the runway all day....

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

True. I know it shines when it comes to home recording but that's not my thing.

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

No worries. At least yours is up and running. Mine has been on a shelf for 3 years, now.

Of course, I listen to a lot of tapes. Just on other decks.

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I did a lot of A/B'ing needledrops more than 10 years ago between my Nak and my CD recorder and the Nak consistently produced results I preferred. The one caveat is that the CD drops seemed to tighten up the bass, and I came to the conclusion that was the one thing digitising seemed to do better.

With metal tapes and 24/192, the cassette still preserves a helluva lot more life than the digital file, but the digital files come out good and I listen to them quite a lot. That ease and convenience, you know...

22. You may want to step into the 21st century as I pods, phones, etc. can have lossless encodes on them and, depending on headphones sound great. 10 years is a long time to not retry something. Technology changes and sometimes it gets better.

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I took great pleasure recently rescuing a Technics dual cassette deck from the trash and getting her working again with some rubber-bands!

Propinquity likes this.
  24. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

You don't think that it depends on what year the cassette was made? Seems like some of them -- even from the same brand like Maxell -- produce much better, tighter bass response than some other years.

Definitely, the convenience of digital can't be beat. But there's no charm in digital, it's just not very fun.

Guitarded likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.