Sennheiser HD 660 S

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Storey, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I paid $199 for mine, and only about $150 or so for the Little Dot. The LD is way better, and costs less. Drives the 598's better, too. All around better amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I use a Little Dot I+, and I’m thrilled with it as well. I think I got mine for a similar price. I did buy the HD6XXs from Massdrop in June, and a few weeks ago a Bottlehead Crack so they won’t be my set up for long, but I do enjoy them!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Yeah, I wrongly returned my 600s for 650s thinking there'd be more pronounced bass but felt they were too dark
    I'm annoyed I didn't buy a Bottlehead Crack when they were on sale 2 weeks? ago...

4. John Storey

Did you know about the sale? I meant to post it here but never got around to it... I’m hoping I don’t find the 650s too dark, but I’m not too worried as I don’t mind a little base.

5. Benzion

I'd buy the Bottlehead Crack, too, but I will consent to being drawn and quartered before I agree to assemble one myself...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. John Storey

I’d give it a shot! I’ve been doing soldering type projects for quite a while, and the Crack really doesn’t look like a very complicated project, I can’t speak from personal experience, but I wouldn’t hesitate!

7. Benzion

I have held a soldering iron maybe twice in my life, and more as a novelty, than as a tool. That's the extent of my experience.

8. John Storey

The hard part about soldering is when your in a tight space, and for the most part, as far as I know, the Crack is primary wire to wire, or wire to large terminal, very easy stuff. As long as you take your time you’d do great. Ive been soldering since I was 11ish, and had no problems. Being a beginner, I bet you’d do a better job, you’d be cautious, and ensure your own work. What does scare me though, would be a faulty component, or mistake of my own, causing damage to some of my hi-fi. But I shouldn’t tell you that, I can’t think it would help!

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hmmmm....

[​IMG]

The HD 660 S are, at first glance, difficult to distinguish from the 650s. They retain the open-back design, slide-adjustable headband with two big pads, and much of the same familiar construction. These are all good things, because the HD 650s remain a paragon of good, ergonomic headphone design. The biggest aesthetic change is in the matte black and anthracite finish to the new 660 S, which wouldn’t look out of place in one of those Rolls-Royce Black Badge limos.

But the real difference in this new model is on the inside. Sennheiser has created an entirely new transducer for the HD 660 S, which is said to have lower harmonic distortion and produce an even more natural, uncolored sound. Each pair of Sennheiser 660s is hand-matched and tested so that the left and right ear cup produce near-enough identical sound (within a tight tolerance of +/- 1dB). Also significant in this update is a lowering of the impedance, down to 150 Ohm, which means you now have a better shot at powering the 660s without the need for a dedicated headphone amplifier. Should your smartphone still have a headphone jack, Sennheiser believes it will be able to power its new cans. They’re still best served by a nice high-end audio system, but the fact you don’t need it to listen to them is helpful in making the 660s more versatile than the 650s.

SandAndGlass and billnunan like this.
  10. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

At $500 US, these headphones should sell like crazy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

The tricky parts with the Crack (and other Bottlehead kits I've built) is the point to point stuff on the tube socket. It's very cramped and a pain in the butt to do tidily. Worth the effort though! The Speedball upgrade is a must-have. Pairs really well with my HD600s.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. John Storey

Good to know! I’m looking forward to the experience hands down!

13. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm wavering. Should I go for the 600 at $287 or wait for these? That 600 seems like a good price for it being brand new.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with the 600's, there's a definite reason for their longevity (I've owned mine for over a decade!). At twice the price, it remains to be seen (heard) whether or not the 660's are twice as good!

kBear and Boomy like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In terms of bang for the $$ yeah $287 is hard to beat, I would say almost impossible. Those cans used to go for more than the 660S is being sold for today if I remember correctly.

SandAndGlass and Boomy like this.
  16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Over a decade? Nice. Would you say that they are even better because they are burned in? I don't know much about that--some say it's a myth, so I need some opinions.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 600's sounded great fresh outta the box and continue to satisfy me today! I don't doubt that there may have been some 'burn-in' after a decade (!) but truthfully, I've never noted a change in the basic sound signature of the cans. All I know is they sound great!;)

Boomy and Robert C like this.
  18. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Get some helping hands! It's too hard to do it with just two hands, especially the leds on the tube socket.

John Storey likes this.
  19. I went for them recently. They are stellar headphones. I can’t recommend them enough!

Best,

Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Just went on Sennheiser's site, looks like you can buy them now (the 660s).

21. John Storey

Yeah, I noticed, still “avalible soon” in Canada though. Just in the US for now I guess.

22. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Doh! A few weeks ago I bought the 650HD but at least it was a great deal at $315.00 free shipping and no sales tax

billnunan and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. John Storey

I may be wrong, but according to audiobot9000.com the 660s has a 95.8 sensitivity, that’s lower than the 650s. Doesn’t that mean they are harder to drive then the 650s? Even with the impedance difference, audiobot9000 says the 650 will require .14mW and the 660 .26mW to drive? Perhaps someone can show me where I’ve gone wrong?...

24. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Pretty scathing (and honest) HD 660s review from Tyll at Inner Fidelity. This is worth watching in full if you haven't already.

25. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I was damn near ready to purchase the 660S for myself as a Christmas gift. Thanks Tyll. I will stick with the 650s I already own.

Ghostworld, npc210 and John Storey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.