A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Well, yes it's dated, but really almost every single piece of art or pop culture is.

When the album came out, I really loved it. Over time, I actually started to like it less, along with many other 80's productions. But I've come back around and really enjoy it again. In fact, I can say I love it... But I can actually say that about every Pink Floyd album, so I probably am too biased to ask... :)

The thing that can be difficult for many people when they love/like/know a band so well, is to put aside a lot of what they know about the album's history. Such as the fact that Nick & Rick are not involved to the fullest extent, the Roger Waters situation and all that adversity all can subconsciously take play when listening to this album, which then makes those flaws show. But if you can put all of that aside and just listen, I think the album is a huge success. - I am a huge Rick Wright fan and I would've loved for him to be featured more, but he's not, so I put that aside. - One thing that has really struck me in recent years is exactly how much I love "On the Turning Away". I liked it when it came out and then it started getting airplay and I just sort of took it for granted. When I hear it now, it just sounds so beautiful and classic, as much so as anything else they have done.

I don't see the point of comparing A Momentary Lapse of Reason to The Final Cut, it's obviously absolutely nothing like The Final Cut... thankfully so. That is no disrespect to The Final Cut, I love that album, but it wouldn't make sense for this to be anything like The Final Cut and it would have been a really bad move, artistically, creatively, commercially to try to make it anything comparable.

Overall, I love the album. I think it gets overlooked a lot and receives a lot of unfair criticism. - I would love to hear a completely new remix on it, just for fun though. There is a lot of density, which always leaves room for a lot of different ways the music could be presented.

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Nassau Coliseum August 1988.

Stormrider77, cutrX, RangerXT and 5 others like this.
  3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not for me. Too be honest, I just enjoyed listening to it for the music, without the lyrics dominating.

4. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

It was my first Floyd album. Still love it.

5. Indeed, I don't know that Waters could or would have made better albums with Floyd at this point because Waters had burned all of his bridges with the band members.

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've always liked side one of the album. But I think AMLOR really goes off the rails on side two. It gets kind of new age-y in spots but "Sorrow" is a pretty cool track. I like both "The Final Cut" and "The Division Bell" better.

PhoffiFozz, Carlox and 24voltsdc like this.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For me, it's the best Floyd album without Roger.

Maestro63 likes this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

True statement here. Without Water's input, Pink Floyd couldn't make anything comparable to The Final Cut. Unlike you though, I find AMLOR boring.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Gilmour takes over and Pink Floyd embraces the 1980's. And underrated effort, perhaps a bit mixed and uneven, but enough compelling moments to recommend it. I would listen to this album 10/10 times over The Final Cut.

11. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Piece of **** album with horrible songwriting and terribly outdated 80s production. A travesty.

It may (!) be better than The Endless Boredom, but only very slightly so.

And The Final Cut beats it by a mile.

12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I take it you're not a fan? :rant:

PhoffiFozz and RangerXT like this.
  13. The Bishop

It’s enjoyable, which is more han can be said of The Final Cut.

My cut off point with Roger Waters, is Animals.

Now there’s an album which beats Gilmour Floyd by a mile.

vallilalainen, moodyxadi and RangerXT like this.
  14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

The difference is that Roger Waters had something to say on The Final Cut. You may not like what he had to say, but he had something to day. Gilmour on the other hand...

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  15. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

AMLOR is my favorite due to its consonance with so much of my own values, experiences, where I was at when it came out, loads of other reasons....

Animals is my pick for Best Floyd album. Dark Side is incredible, but this is thematically so much more coherent and truly has that prog rock/spacey/social commentary combo that makes the Floyd the Floyd - IMO.

16. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

And he said it, again and again and again like so many times before. Rogers' dystopian anti-war stance wears me out. But, hey, I agree to disagree. No harm, no foul.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

To me, this is a David Gilmour solo album dressed up to be Pink Floyd. "A fair forgery" rings true to me. Some of the songs are OK, but overall, it's not that memorable or exciting.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Both 1980s Floyd studio albums are kinda difficult to enjoy for me.
    They sound like solo works with Pink Floyd members as a backing group. I don't listen to these albums so much.

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

the most underrated PF album, imho

Roger had his albums and this was the start of Davids turn with the name. funny the Roger people like to say its a "fine Gilmour solo album" forgetting completely that the previous couple were "Fine Waters solo albums"

20. The Bishop

Oh, I liked what he had to say at the time: I just don’t want to listen to it anymore.

Gilmour, on the other hand, did all his talking with his guitar...that’s what I like.

21. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

Not my favorite by any means, and I tend to prefer the live versions of the songs (except for Learning to Fly), but it has enough Gilmour solos to entertain.

moodyxadi likes this.
  22. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Reminds me of Daves About Face album. Doesn't get enough love.

PhoffiFozz, Ken.e., moodyxadi and 2 others like this.
  23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I think the working relationship between them all was pretty shot by this point. Gilmour and Mason decided to weather the storm from under the safety of the Pink Floyd umbrella for obvious reasons.

As for album quality - Waters made solo albums which are far superior to anything that was made after his departure IMO.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Give it a listen maybe some of each album will click in.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm not against the albums if you think that. There are even some songs on them that I love. In a way they're just a bit too different to the band's general sound, but that's my opinion.
    I will listen to the LPs soon again anyway. PF is one of my favorite bands and I respect anything they did. I listen to their works in chronological order mostly and I never skip albums or songs.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.