The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

Well, the first episode is in the books. What'd you think?

I enjoyed it - seems clear they've prepared for the battle with Negan, and it's setting up well for the next couple of episodes. Though as usual, not everything goes exactly as planned (coughGabrielcough).

2. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Fairly weak episode I thought. Tons of gun shots and explosions but very little really happened. Instead of just shooting Negan when they had the chance... they shoot out a bunch of windows wasting a crap load of ammo.:shrug: I wish they would just tell the damn story in the order it is supposed to happen instead of flash backs, flash forwards, thoughts, dreams etc. Also, it seemed like there were more commercials than ever.[​IMG]

3. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

So they go from not being able to drive on any roads and are being constantly watched to sneaking up on everyone and doing what they please. Yeeeeeeah. I liked the episode but it makes no sense.

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Mixed bag. It wasn't the over-the-top shock fest of last year, but neither was it a bore.

The Good:
    I thought that Dwight being the "mole" for Rick explained how they were able to clear a path to the Saviors.
    The episode didn't waste a lot of time setting up the fight. That was refreshing.
    Interesting blocking as the various Hilltop/Kingdom/Etc. members discussed strategy before the war.
    Definitely interested in staying with the show.

The Bad:
    The editing. I found myself confused by the constant back-and-forth, with not much to indicate where we are/were in the story. Lame.
    I really have zero idea what they thought they were accomplishing, except for the scenes for what I guess is the "future"
    Wasting tons of precious ammo........on windows? Am I missing something?
    That van blowing up as the walkers approached looked awful.

Dan

Shawn likes this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I think shooting the windows out was simply to create a lot of noise to lead the horde the final little bit.

HippieDrill likes this.
  6. notesofachord

The flashbacks/flash-forwards keep it interesting, IMO.

HippieDrill likes this.
  7. spewey

spewey Senior Member

How is Negan still alive???

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  8. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

First ep was ok, there was a bit of tension but as others say a lot of nothing. The challenge will be for them to keep up this pace and not descend into a talk fest after episode 2 like usual.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. notesofachord

Yeeeeeeahhhh, I'm thinking it's going to be a while before he bites the dust.

10. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Not a good episode. Totally ridiculous that Negan wouldn't have been gunned down on the catwalk like that. Stupid. Wasting tons of ammo to create noise when there's 15 cars with horns was stupid.

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This episode was really, really stupid. I mean just horrible. I can't believe it's still on the air! Bad acting, bad writing, and they're all just terrible characters! WORST. SHOW. EVER...

Wait. I almost fell in line with everyone here! I actually LOVED IT! Negan doesn't die because he's a sly dude (and isn't supposed to die, but we won't get into that). The forward jumps in time weren't jumps forward. They were the fantasy of what Rick WANTS to happen. It was really easy to figure that out! Plus, they used Weird Al's "Another One Rides The Bus" for those sequences. Brilliant!

HippieDrill and notesofachord like this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I thought it was good not great. I think it should packed a bit more punch for a season opener, especially considering how low their ratings have been in the previous (well, low for the Walking Dead anyway). I don't understand why they shot at the windows either, I guess maybe they didn't wanna take a chance on accidentally killing Dwight the mole or Eugene and wanted to separate them a bit idk. Liked the future scenes but am curious as to what it means, it's kinda strange how everytime they show those scenes, they cut to a teary eyed Rick(also in the future, but a bit closer to shows time) who seems like he just lost something pretty major in his life.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I think the idea was to keep them away from the upper windows so they would not see the approaching hoard.

notesofachord likes this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

They have turned what could have been an all time classic tv villain into a farce. Either avoid these scenes or write something engaging around it. They are nursing this like a last beer, since Negan over = show over. Now whatever happens to him will be anticlimactic.

They did something like this in a previous season, so dream or no dream, a festival will happen just like that one.

15. notesofachord

Yeah, I'm not getting the negativity shown here. Kill Negan in the first episode? You guys really expected that? Surprising. If you guys think the dragging out of the inevitable is excruciating, how did you feel about season two? It was obvious (to me at least) that Shane and Rick would fight it out at the end, but it took 16 (not that engaging) episodes to get there. I struggled to get through that one (admittedly binge-watching it, not waiting week to week) but I thought season three's prison vs. Woodbury/The Governor plot to be much better.

Honestly, if I have any criticism it's that: the fight against Negan & The Saviors is pretty much just a rehashing of the fight against The Governor all over again, only on a much bigger stage.

16. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Was not impressed all that much.

Liked seeing all the Lookout guys taken down, but otherwise, they shot about 2000 rounds into windows.
    And we were told before, they did not have unlimited ammo or could not waste it....???

I get they were trying to lead the Horde towards the Saviours, but, it could have been done a dozen ways, without using up so much ammo.

I felt like I was not sure exactly what I was watching.

beat_truck likes this.
  17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Of course, I didn't expect Negan to get gunned down in the first episode. However, the staging they used for the convo between Negan and his seniors and Rick's group was RIDICULOUS if the intent wasn't to kill off Negan - there were so many of Rick's group armed and ready they could have taken Negan and his seniors out in a heartbeat.

If you're going to try to push some plausibility to the audience, THINK about the plausibility of the setups you're filming. They should have had Negan and Co. protected and barely visible in order to pull off the fact that NONE of them was shot and killed. Stupid.

18. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Anyone could have instantly shot most of them up on a platform on the side of the building, but no they do not.

I thought the ultimate mission was to get rid of Negan and his Command people............uh no....??
    They went there TO fight and kill so it was not like they were unsure.

beat_truck and jriems like this.
  19. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I thought that the shooting out of the windows was to send a message to Negan's people inside and unnerve them. Maybe Negan can't take care of them as well as they thought.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

OK episode. Yes, you must suspend belief and not ask questions like "why not shoot Negan when he's in the open?"

For me, the silliest part was that Negan and his henchmen actually thought that loser from Hilltop had control over his people. It was fun to see him get the boot, but ridiculous that the shrewd Saviors would have thought he had any power at all. Wasting an incredible amount of firepower on the windows was also silly and inconsistent.

21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Leading to horde to Negan seemed a bit too similar to what we recently saw on Fear The Walking Dead, right down to explosive ammo.

22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm about done. The special effects were crappy. Early shot of walker that obviously had fake teeth glued to the outside of the actor's cheek. When all the walkers were shuffling on the road going under the bridge, half of them (assuming the real actors) had shadows going north, the others (FX) had shadows going east, some didn't have shadows at all.

Like others have mentioned, Negan and his crew were standing RIGHT THERE and could easily have been mowed down. All the anger and hate against him and nobody - NOBODY - took the shot. The one cool moment was when Rick started counting down, got to 7 and started blasting away - cut to commercial - to find out he's shooting the WINDOWS! And they unload all this ammo into the windows when NEGAN AND HIS CREW ARE RIGHT THERE! Wasn't Eugene just recently scrounging materials to make one or two shells? Now they have thousands of rounds to burn.

Like I said, I'm afraid they've lost me. Maybe the producers are purposely screwing up the show due to recent lawsuits with AMC.

23. Wait! Nobody's going to mention the super fast ass zombies who kept pace with Daryl's motorcycle?

Okay, then, I'll mention the 300+ zombies - all of them, mind you - who were right behind Daryl the whole time as Daryl sped to The Savior's complex. When Rick looked over woods, did you see how far the explosion was from the complex, yet Daryl and the Zombies made it there in, oh...maybe two minutes? :rolleyes:

24. notesofachord

Yeeeeaahhh, it's a freakin' TV show, not great art. I was pleasantly entertained, but I guess I shouldn't have been because the standards for TV are so high now. Okay, got it.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Rick is waiting for Negan to lose his flock then he will kill Negan on his knees bashing his head in with his own precious "Lucille"...

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.