New Otis Redding "The Definitive Studio Album Collection" Vinyl Box Set! (MONO)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Oct 23, 2017.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Bullmoose is taking preorders for a new Otis Redding 7lp set, the studio albums in mono. If they’re as high quality as the record store day issues, this will be a great set at a pretty good price ($15 per lp)

REDDING,OTIS - DEFINITIVE STUDIO ALBUM COLLECTION

2. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Nice pickup. Loved the Rhino RSD Pain in My Heart, that was AAA from the original masters by Doug Sax I believe. The two-fer stereo/mono Rhino did of Blue was OK. That was digitally sourced. So was the Rhino Dock of the Bay in mono I believe. My guess is that it would be like the Coltrane mono set and the Ray Charles mono set that they've done the past few years. Should be nice for those wanting good sound and quiet surfaces.

3. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I'm excited about this. I just added it to my Christmas list, Dan. You can never have enough Otis.

dmiller458 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

I know! I’m only missing two of the LPs, not a big fan of the Carla album, but I’m still thinking about getting this anyway.

CusBlues likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes! If these are as good as Rhino's past reissues of the Otis Redding albums, I will be thrilled. I've been hoping for an Otis box set for years.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have all the original lps, and to a record they all have thin, lousy sound. So I’m in for this if they’ve been redone nicely.

fuzzbo likes this.
  7. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

If the quality is at least on par with Sundazed or a somewhat lesser degree the Rhino I am in but I will wait for a couple of reveiws before taking the plunge.Great price if all is in order.

8. samthesham

I Emailed Bullmoose inquiring whether the box is analogue or digital no word yet.But their description is more than enough to whet ones appetite for more Otis.Hopefully all of us who purchase this baby will receive a unexpected treat.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious how you know Rhino’s Blue was digitally sourced. My copy blows away my original. In fact, it changed my inherent prejudice against reissues.

Mazzy, RiRiIII and e.s. like this.
  10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A very nice set, which is on pre-order for 1 December for just under £70 here, which is very good value. According to Amazon UK "Dictionary of Soul" has been re-mastered, but no other details. I have Pain In My Hear, Blue and Dock of the Bay on Rhino or Sundazed vinyl already and the others on CD so it's a tough call - all mono is tempting though.

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Since this Mono box is released by Rhino, is it safe to assume that where appicable the same masters as with these recent mono LPs (Pain in my heart, Blue, Bay) will be used for this box as well?

bmusic, samthesham and shutdown66 like this.
  12. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Weren't Soul Album & Sings Soul Ballads reissued in mono by Rhino earlier this year, so 5 of the 7 are available individually (assuming one obtained the RSD Blue)?

13. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I don't believe it was digitally sourced unless we are talking about the stereo LP in that set. I thought the mono Doug Sax cut sounded amazing and very much all-analog.

e.s. likes this.
  14. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Yes these were reissued in mono this summer as part of a serie celebrating 60th anniversary of stax records ( Albert King 's born under a bad sign was another one in this serie). They are good sounding records but my feeling (= my ears) is they are digitally sourced, they could breathe more and when I am listening to them, I have the tendency to lower the volume of my amp (when I listen to AAA records, my tendency is the opposite, bringing the volume up )...so no exact science here of course but just my opinion...

sjaca likes this.
  15. 0476pearljam

Was the mono blue on the rhino two records set cut by Doug Sax ? I only knew that the us version of the pain in my heart mono reissue was, but not the european one (I cracked the ceiling in a shop and no TML in the deadwax of the european version for the limited edition record store day's pain in my heart release from a few years ago)....

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The European one sounds really good despite being digital. I have both. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it if the price is good.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    e.s. and 0476pearljam like this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Sundazed mono "Otis Blue" is superb, and recommended if you can find one.

18. 0476pearljam

Yes, has someone made a comparison between the sundazed reissue from years ago and the rhino reissues from the past years ?

FashionBoy likes this.
  19. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Yes exactly. Two records, mono & stereo cuts by Doug Sax/TML, and a 45 blue vinyl.

The mono sounds wonderful. I have the Sundazed mono as well and it pales by comparison to the Rhino IMHO. At least the Sundazed cut that I have, not sure if it was recut at a later time by a better engineer or from a better source.

sjaca and 0476pearljam like this.
  20. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Nice - I've got the 5 CD Original Album Series with the first 5 in mono and really like it.

21. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Love me some Otis.

Dissidence likes this.
  22. samthesham

How does the mids & highs sound on those remasters?I have 3 origs and they tend to sound somewhat thin especially Live In Europe.I also 5 original CDs&Original Album Series sounds pretty good for remasters.But some new great sounding AAA Otis would be very welcome indeed.

23. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Just pre ordered from Amazon uk. I wish more boxsets would be priced like this. Less than £70 for 7 LPs makes this a must buy for me. It’s a great feeling to buy new vinyl without a feeling of being slightly ripped off.
    Now just hope the pressings are good.

johnnybrum likes this.
  24. 0476pearljam

Those remasters are very good sounding, good balance no doubt about that...My concern is I THINK I can hear very clearly they are not mastered directly from tapes (the music lies in the void and not in the air if you see what I mean)...But I don't feel ripped of because I knew before I bought that they were mastered at capitol (some digital in the chain) and for the price, I prefer to have those records on long player than on cds...

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Ordered one at about £70 on Amazon UK. Looks good. I have some Otis on vinyl but it is quite old and has been played many times on different gear. Never quite sure where we are on Otis. On another thread I read that the music released post 1970 or any unreleased material is not owned by Rhino/Warners. Anyone know?
    Just looking and Pain in My Heart has been released in last few years on Rhino (was it for RSD only?) and Music On Vinyl (who make their records in Holland I think).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017