BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

True and we should be grateful for that!

2. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Where did you find the single disc editions for preorder? I can't hunt them down, and the Eno shop only shows the double 45s.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

amazon has them for $17.13 each

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I have no idea why, but I couldn't find that in my initial search. Got it now. Thanks!

5. MadMelMon likes this.
  6. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up!

7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I had kind of decided against these but agree that the 331/3 option at a lower price may be worthy of consideration.

8. tipustiger

tipustiger Well-Known Member

I bought "Here Come the Warm Jets" and there is this low looping whooshing echo when track A1 fades out and before A2 starts. Its hard to describe but its not on my EG reissue. I don't have the original pressing so I'm not sure if its an artifact from an earlier pressing. I haven't heard this sound on Spotify either. Does anyone else have this issue? Its sounds like its not a pressing defect but something actually in the recording.

9. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I've listened to three of the four and I defiantly hear problems with TTM. Not horrible, but definitely noticeable.

The first thing I noticed is the right channel seems quieter, shifting everything to the left. At other points I hear not really drop outs, but as Norco74 said, it sounds like the tape has flaked away. Maybe these tapes have indeed aged and deteriorated?

Having said all that, these are fantastic transfers, very detailed and deep. I'm comparing to the early '80s Japan Polydors (not the recent counterfeits) and I also have several UK red label Polydors. I don't have any of the DSD cds.

The 45 rpm frequent side flipping thing is not a problem for me, and I usually appreciate the faster play speed when it results in quieter play. However, there is more vinyl noise on these than there should be; they really could be quieter and I blame whoever pressed them. (Mine say "Made In Germany" on a sticker on the back).

Overall these are great reissues of some absolutely incredible albums. If you don't yet own these records, this is a great opportunity to get what is probably the best that we can expect.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’d just like to add that I bought all four and they were generally very quiet for me. However, I think pressing plants are at capacity right now and I’ve certainly noticed in general that there have been some QC issues especially at Optimal. I’ve had a lot of pressings recently from Optimal that have had significant no fill and have had to to be replaced. So it’s not exclusive to these releases I don’t think...

11. Norco74

Regarding bad pressings, I have been quite lucky lately with no defective lp in Sep-Oct

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  12. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Pardon my ignorance, but are the 33s half-speed mastered or is that only done on 45rpm LPs?

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Half-speed mastering can be done at 45rpm or 33rpm; the "tape" or source is played at half speed and the cut is done at half-speed too, either half 45rpm or half 33rpm.

That is a good question regarding the 33rpm Eno reissues; has anyone been able to determine if they're half-speed?

"Half Speed Mastered" seems to be a big selling point for Abbey Road Mastering, so I'm going to bet they will be.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think they’re standard speed at 33rpm, and they’re not part of the Abbey Road Half speed series. They’re just general reissues.

15. Mateo Sanboval

Thanks for responding. I had hoped the Abbey Road Mastering/half-speed process would be utilized on the 33rpm reissues, but I got a little skeptical when I saw them selling for under $20 in places. I'll probably spring for these anyway, but I'm always wary of untested vinyl reissues these days. Still, I don't want to pay $35-40 for the 45rpm editions with their apparent dropout issues.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The dropout issues are vastly exaggerated and the 45rpm reissues sound great if you see the mostly positive reviews. If you’re worried about drop out issues specifically, they will of course be on these new cuts aswell. Dropouts originate from the master tape wear. Miles Showell will have captured these in hi -res format and then will have performed any restoration before cutting the 45’s..the files used for these will likely be the same. The only difference is these won’t be at 45rpm or cut at half speed.

17. Mateo Sanboval

Copy that and good points all. My point is that it might be easier to stomach purchasing the 33rpm editions, (tiny) warts and all, at $18 a pop. That said, I'll probably wait for the reviews to come in.

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. Norco74

Abbey Road have released Tubular bells 1/2 speed master on 33 rpm last year so why the new Eno won’t benefit from the same treatment?

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed. I would be surprised if they weren't mastered on the same day as the 45's at Abbey Road.
    The mastering part doesn't add much cost, i'm guessing the single LP in a less deluxe non-gatefold jacket
    is the only difference. Hopefully also pressed at Optimal.

Norco74 likes this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

They still have to cut another lacquer for the 33rpm and I believe they aren’t half speed so those are the differences.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

At £20 /$20 these likely will be from copies of the files transferred to GZ or Optimal via internet and cut at the plant (unless it specifically advertises them as half speed at Abbey Road). Quite a few standard reissues have received the Showell half speed treatment including the new Who 'Live At Leeds' and 'Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy'.

22. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

As I mentioned upthread, the new 33rpms are cut at normal speed, by Miles Showell from the same recent remasters, and pressed at Optimal.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Have you got a copy to verify this?

24. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

No. As I also mentioned a couple of pages ago, I communicated with Miles Showell about it.

25. Mateo Sanboval

I wonder how the recent Peter Gabriel 33RPM reissues were source/mastered compared to the 45RPMs of the last year or two.

Thanks for the information, @Billy Bird. Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.