The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Apart from mono instead of fake stereo on the original vinyl and the mono mix of "I Can See For Miles", it seems that it's quite similar. Also, that's assuming the the "(Full Mono Version)" of "Magic Bus" is the same version as the original vinyl.

There is no ideal version of this album, unfortunately. The original vinyl, both North American and UK, suffers from fake stereo. The Steve Hoffman mastered CD appears to have not-great sources for "Substitute" and "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere". "The Kids are Alright" should be the full version. I don't see the point of substituting the edited version. Also, my favourite "I'm A Boy" is the stereo mix of the single version. The alternate is not as good. Even the mono mix of the single is better.

GetRhythm likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not unless somebody wants to send me a copy.

Presumably Magic Bus will be the same substandard mastering heard on recent digital releases.

I don't have any use for the edited TKAA, but I believe it's edited on the original release. For that matter, I'm not aware of a release of MBBB where it *isn't* edited.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Just out curiosity, which tracks on that version are fake stereo? My copy - which is also an early Track too ('Porky' in the run-out groove) - is missing its cover & the label info is curiously all over the place. Sometimes its easy to spot the fake stereo, other times I think what I've always believed to be mono, might actually be slight fake stereo.

There was a thread on this a while ago but I seem to remember it was quite contradictory...

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's a Danish site and the listing is for Polydor. So EU/UK.

Terry likes this.
  5. Adam9

I haven't heard recent masterings of the long "Magic Bus" but it sucks that the version on the original vinyl is fake stereo. You're right that all releases of MBBB have the edited "The Kids Are Alright" which is too bad.

6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The best Who compilation, hands down!:righton:

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Also a scheduled US release on Geffen. 602557748284

8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

My original Decca LP sounds schweet!:bdance:

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I found one if these over the summer along with the UK Track Live at Leeds first press, both VG++, and ridiculous bargains at around $17 a piece. I was more than happy with the sonics on both LPs.

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Well when I was 13 all I had was a dubbed Maxell xl-ii cassette dub from my brother's used copy of a early 80s Decca pressing....and I LOVED IT. I also was listening out of a one-speaker box cassette player. No wonder I never became the type of actually lists his gear on the SHF.....bad upbringing.....but oh the innocence of first falling in love with rock music before awareness of fidelity, mixes, fake stereo, good/bad pressings.....

Newscot likes this.
  12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It's not a bad sounding LP by any means - I think from memory only about 4 tracks are actually fake stereo - I'll have to check my copy when I get home as to exactly which tracks they are.

13. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Anybody pick up a copy of this or the new Live at Leeds yet?

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  14. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have listened to this new reissues? MBB&B and LAL?

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't played it for years, but I seem to remember the original UK MBB&B having the full version of The Kids Are Alright.

16. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Loved this album when I got it over 10 years ago but listened to it recently and hated it :(

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

How come?

18. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

That version of I'm A Boy is one of the main ones. Sucks big time.

chacha and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Adam9

No, it had the edited version.

Man at C&A and lukpac like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I never noticed! It was my first Who album but I haven't heard it for well over 20 years. I won't have had anything to compare it to. It's still at my parent's house. I'll go back and get it soon.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, it's crap compared to the single. Apart from that and the fake stereo I can't fault it. I like the version of Magic Bus.

22. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Mine will be here on Monday. A perfect comp of the early stuff.

luckyno13 likes this.
  23. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Let us know what you think.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I never understood why they put that version of I’m A Boy on Meaty Beaty. It’s awful compared to the original version. Isn’t there also another tune on this where they used an odd mix? I forget.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Saw an unboxing video on YouTube. Leeds looks dreadful packaging wise. If you reissue this you have to do the memorabilia.

Avoid and buy an older reissue. They reissued it in the UK and Germany properly in the 80's so you don't have to get an original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.