The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just finished Leeds--am I the only one who was hoping that crackles would be returned? Oh, well. Nice clean, quiet lp. Meaty plays now. Sounds quite good.

luckyno13 likes this.
  2. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

A new Meaty is on the way to me from What Records, who had it for only £16.99 where everywhere else seems to asking around £22 for it - will hopefully have it in the next few days...

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Magic Bus.

Is Leeds not the original mix?

chacha likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Nah. Was hoping for said crackles and the backward guitar bit on Magic Bus.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well that’s weird.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So is there a new Leeds LP that’s the original track listing but the new mix?

7. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I presume the mono version of "I Can See For Miles" will be the BBC version that Astley apparently believes is the original single. He has been told about it, and as usual, he was incredulous and confused, and he totally forgot about it immediately. That guy couldn't scrub a toilet if you showed him how.

JP Christian likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

On MBBB?

9. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Yeah, this reissue, according to post #15, unless I'm reading that incorrectly. He has only ever used the correct mix on the Japanese "Singles" SACD, and who knows why.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Because he doesn’t like it.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The stereo mix is on the reissue of MBBB.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

This LP? So the listing is incorrect?

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I thought it was the stereo mix of ICSFM that was used for this latest reissue. I’m looking for the album to confirm but I don’t remember where I placed it.

It certainly isn’t the alternate mono mix that can be found on the Singles Collection LP/CD or original Track 45RPM copy.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    lukpac likes this.
  14. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

How do think this reissue sounds?

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So how many songs on my 1971 original Christmas present of the Decca were fake stereo ?

Seems to be my only reason for buying a copy of this reissue.

16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Sonic comments?????

17. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Love to know as well (but I have a Track copy mastered by Porky Peckham)...no-one seems to know here! Lol.

Myke likes this.
  18. JP Christian

Ok, I can't vouch for the US Decca as it may be different but here is the original UK version from what I can tell - now that I've had a proper listen - turns out there a lot more fake stereo tracks than I first thought (the album cover only denotes three tracks as mono, say the rest are 'stereo') -

I Can't Explain - Mono
    Kids Are Alright - Fake Stereo
    Happy Jack - Fake Stereo
    I Can See For Miles - True Stereo
    Pictures Of Lily - Fake Stereo
    My Generation - Fake Stereo
    The Seeker - True Stereo
    Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - Mono
    Pinball Wizard - True Stereo
    A Legal Matter - Fake Stereo
    Boris The Spider - Mono I think - or very subtle fake stereo
    Magic Bus - Fake Stereo
    Subsitute - Mono
    I'm A Boy - Fake Stereo

So there you have it, half of the tracks on the original album are fake stereo - with three genuine mono tracks as stated on the album cover plus Boris the Spider which if it is in any form of stereo, it's so narrow/subtle that it is virtually mono - and three genuine Stereo tracks - having properly listened to the original LP I'm quite shocked how many tracks are fake stereo after all!

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I’m a Boy is true stereo.

I thought Boris was as well, although I may be mistaken.

dee likes this.
  20. JP Christian

I'm a Boy true stereo? Absolutely not! Not on the UK track anyway - I can't hear any discrete elements - instruments, voices or otherwise in either channel, just very extreme difference in EQ

Boris is so close to mono, when I push in my mono button on my receiver on my 2nd system - there is no difference.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe you'll find the tympani and horn are in the left channel.

22. JP Christian

I've just listened again and you are right - but it's like they've applied fake stereo EQ to a what was a true stereo mix - one channel is a muffled mid-range mess and the other is a smiley EQ mess - it's the latter where all of the percussion cuts through and the horn also veers to one side as you say, but everything else is just muddy in one channel and tinny in the other - I'm looking forward to hearing the new version even more so now.

dee likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's simply the mix. The backing has that weird fake stereo sound to it, but the vocals don't. Some releases of the song attempt to even out the backing, but then the vocals get out of balance.

dee and JP Christian like this.
  24. JP Christian

I've just listened again on my main system and yes, more obvious it's true stereo but it's still pretty wonky sounding! I remember when I got my first Who compilation on CD (Who's Better, Who's Best) how I much preferred the version of I'm A Boy on there... I wonder which version will end up on the new one?

25. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Thanks. Dammit. I had my suspicions re My Generation as I hoped it would be mono but it didn't sound like my old re-issued 45 from the 1980s. Grr. Thank goodness three of my favorite early singles there are in pure mono (the rest, I can take or leave IMHO).

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.