MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. japes

japes Senior Member

I checked the theater locator link a few pages back to see what theater were participating in my area and the closest ones were almost an hour and a half away.

I live in my state's capital and I can't believe their isn't one theater that's participating. Looks like I won't be signing up any time soon.

It's a shame because I live less than a mile away from a multiplex.

2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

It really isn't a matter of the theater participating it is whether MoviePass supports them. Perhaps contact MoviePass and tell them which theaters in your area you would like them to add.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

From what I can see, if the theater accepts MasterCard debit cards, and MoviePass can get their listings and prices, they can add the theater.

Personally, I think they need to contact my wife and offer her a job - then the 400+ movies she plans to see this year will be deductable for them. She does phone work currently for a bunch of chuckleheads who make her commute two hours from Chicago to Schaumburg to do a job that can be done anywhere you can put a phone and a computer.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same here. But if I look in the app, it says my card was shipped. I wish there was a way to check, because sometimes my mail does get lost, and I don't know if they are behind on sending out my card or if they sent it and it was lost. Very frustrating either way.

6. Chris DeVoe

If your mail is anything like mine, it has at least a dozen fake credit cards in envelopes every week.

mmars982 likes this.
  7. Steve Martin

My app also shows shipped, but I'm thinking it isn't.

mmars982 likes this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Yeah, back in the $35 a month days they had very responsive customer service. Seems like the preparation for the big price drop rollout was negligible to non-existent, and customer service has gone out the window a bit (or quite a bit).

9. Chris DeVoe

It's a lot easier to ramp up digital services than physical ones like card delivery and a customer service system is ten times more difficult than both of those put together.

10. mds

mds Forum Resident

I am probably going to subscribe but being retired I prefer the matinee which is much less crowded and the tickets for a senior are typically $9.95 in my area. This means I have to commit to more than one movie a month. With "Winter Coming" I don't think this should be an issue.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This is a ridiculous steal if you live in NYC. Movies here generally cost $15 a pop, so with one a month you are already saving money. I saw 5 in the first two weeks - that was $75 in films for $10 with two more weeks of the month to go. There's no way this will last forever so milk it while you can!

Chris DeVoe and RayS like this.
  12. RayS

This business model reminds me of this scene from "Tin Men" (r-rated language warning).

benjaminhuf likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've been to a total of two movies all year before getting the MoviePass, and I have been to 3-4 a week since. I'm really liking it. My favorite part is probably that it allows me to leave a long movie early and go watch the rest of it another day. I'm assuming at some point this low price is going to go up, and then I'll probably drop it. But until then I'll take advantage of it all I can. Only complaint was waiting almost 2 months to receive the card, during which there were a few movies out I would have seen if I had it.

14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Could MoviePass be the future of movies?

Discuss.

Here's my 2 cents of speculation....

My guess is there's a chance mp will become the future of movies. I'm already used to seeing movies twice a week instead of twice a month. Right now, I'm loving it at $10, but I'd easily pay double that.

I think of this $10 rate as the promo introductory rate. I could imagine at some point, a la Netflix, they say something like, "Sign up by Dec. 31, before the rate goes up to $12.95 a month! Your rate will be locked in for the next 12 months." That could really start a rush. But it's still such a great deal at $12.95, in a year they could try for $14.95, and so on.

And theaters obviously like to fill their empty seats, and also sell snacks. About half the time I buy some chocolate when I see a mp movie. What if in a year half of their seats are filled with mp customers, and then mp says to the theater, "listen, we need a sustainable long-run model for both of us. For the first ticket a month, we'll give you full price, but ticket #2 we pay 90%, #3 80%, etc." which would cut down on the millions of dollars mp is losing.

And what if, as time goes on, mp starts getting significant ad revenue from movie studios, as well as movie theater chains. Maybe movie pass could even see that you've bought a movie at X theater, and instantly send you a coupon for $1 off an ice cream at the local ice cream parlor, or 5 bucks off a dinner at a local restaurant. What if the local car dealership had a combined promo and said, test drive a car before your movie, and we'll give you a mp coupon good for 5 boxes of chocolate at your local theater over the next month, etc.

Eventually, in the long run, through things like these, is there a chance MoviePass could last for the long run? And, way, way back in the 1940s and 1950s many people went to the movie theater every single week. Maybe mp can bring that kind of frequent movie going back?

RayS and mds like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

My wife thought it was the deal of the century when she was paying $50 a month.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  16. mds

mds Forum Resident

I totally agree. They are competing with Netflix. With people staying home more now that they have monster TVs and sound bars to watch HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and FIOS or Comcast first run movies why go spend $60 or more for a night at the movies? I think $10 a month seems to be the sweet spot. They certainly make it up with how much money you have to drop for popcorn, candy and sodas.

17. RayS

But right now MoviePass isn't seeing a cent of that increased concession money. So the business model, as it currently stands, is a gaping money pit.

benjaminhuf and IronWaffle like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

At $50/month, I'd view 5 movies/month as "break even" territory based on local prices.

Actually, it might be more - one local Regal has $6 tickets on Tuesdays, so I usually go that day.

So for me, I'd say 7-8 movies a month would be needed to break even.

That'd be a stretch for me - I go to a lot of movies but to see 7 or 8 a month every month ain't gonna happen...

19. mds

mds Forum Resident

I also agree that $50 would fail. I can go to a matinee for $10, which I think is fair. I go about to about one a month so I am debating if the $10 a month fee will be worth it to me but am probably going to give it a shot. I believe that I may go to two or three movies a month this winter, but as the summer months approach I will probably fall back to no more than two a month.

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

My wife has seen, so far this year, 404 films in the theater. #404 was a revival of Young Frankenstein, and no matter how much you like watching movies at home, comedies are always funnier in a crowded theater.

SandAndGlass, C6H12O6 and benjaminhuf like this.
  21. mds

mds Forum Resident

I am assuming she is going alone, and do you think this behavior is the norm in terms of how many movies someone would typically see by themselves? You are not suspicious? :hide: Or maybe she just likes :-popcorn: Just kidding. Yes I agree, I would see more movies if I had a pass, but I doubt I would give your wife competition in the number I would go to.

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This is true. I've seen Robert Altman's M*A*S*H who knows how many times at home. Then I saw it on the big screen, and even familiarity couldn't dampen how hilarious, because not only did the reaction of the packed crowd amplify the humor, you caught things you never saw before, either because it was more visible on a big screen or because you'd catch it from the reaction of some people in the audience. (For example, early on when Tom Skerritt has something whispered in his ear, he flinches, like "what are you doing man? don't get so close!" but it was a quick throwaway gag, and I never caught it before until people around me start snickering at his flinch.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Steve Martin

That is a violation of the new TOS they just posted...

This is in section 2.17, reasons they can suspend your account..

I assume they can use GPS data from the app to determine if you are abusing that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Geez thanks for letting me know. I had no idea. I've only done it once so far, so I guess I'm ok. I thought they encouraged going to see a movie more than once, but I didn't know they cared if you left early.

25. RayS

There are no listings for my local theater in the app again. (They have no listings on Fandango either, so apparently it's not a high priority of theirs). I sent a message about two hours ago via the chat feature in the app, and the silence is deafening. :) Customer service has gone south since the big price cut. Looks like tonight's movie might be out of pocket for the second time in a row. :-(