Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box (2016 Remixes only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nexus5, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I asked him on twitter. He blocked me.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't doubt it sounds better when you apply de-emphasis, but there is absolutely no way pre-emphasis was applied in error to these mixes in the year 2016.
    Unfortunately, it is probably just someone's idea of "good sound"...

rnranimal likes this.
  3. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

That’s disappointing, he’s normally quite responsive.

I know he took a break from social media around the release date.

Bluebair likes this.
  4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'm not surprised AJ hasn't responded to your criticism, how would you react if you were (metaphorically) slapped in the face..

sathvyre likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Meddle is fine with me, Obscured by Clouds is fair, and Pompeii is an utter disaster I still can't believe.

drevil, pinkrudy, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If not asked rudely, I don't consider critique of my work as being slapped in the face. Not unless maybe it was charitable work, which this was not. Customers paid good money for this product and it's not unreasonable to have questions about something like the extreme treble boost. We're wondering if it was error or choice. Considering it's the biggest treble boost I've ever heard on a mainstream release and the same versions/songs repeated on the DVDs don't have it, I think it's reasonable to consider this may've been the result of an error. We'd like to know. If he's not up for answering, well, he wouldn't be the first to ignore us. But blocking someone for asking, unless they were rude, shows a level of sensitivity on the subject which makes me instinctively draw certain conclusions.

7. bek0727

bek0727 Forum Resident

Right? I don't know how this isn't more widely reported. It's obviously awful. Maybe because nobody bought the box set? I'm also surprised at the lack of quality control. Could Waters/Gilmour be too busy to even listen to those terrible mixes?

8. Philippe Chambin

Philippe Chambin New Member

Totally agree. As I explained in my post, how pre-emphasis would have been applied to files that aren't even Redbook CD-DA, is beyond my comprehension as a mastering engineer. But that sonic signature really reminded me of a similar issue.
    It'd be nice to get the explanation from the horse's mouth :)

9. Kim Olesen

I wasn’t in any way rude.

JulesRules, Max Florian and Onder like this.
  10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That's not the way AJ saw it. You questioned his integrity, criticised his work directly to him. It's one thing commenting in a public forum, but straight to the man, that's impolite. In Denmark maybe it isn't but here in UK it is..

11. Kim Olesen

And how do you know how AJ saw it?

Max Florian likes this.
  12. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

And screwing thousands of Pink Floyd fans by selling them average products at full price isn't impolite, perhaps? (This reminds me of the 1994 remasters, that according to some weren't remasters at all, but just repackaged Floyd albums.)

13. Kim Olesen

Let me add that i asked him if the finished item had been thoroughly checked by anybody since Pompei was unusually bright sounding. I did NOT attack him or even question his work.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Max Florian likes this.
  14. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

It’s possible that the sound was messed up during the disc authoring stage. Can’t find it at present, but I have read an interview with Phil Taylor, DG’s guitar tech, describing how he, Guthrie and Jackson have had problems over the years with mixes / masterings they has taken great care with being altered by the company manufacturing the disc without their involvement.

15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ok then, you told him that you thought Pompeii was unusually bright and asked if the finished work had been run through "quality control". Sorry man but in my book that's a little insulting. I think we definitely have a slight Brit/Dane etiquette thing going on here. I'm not saying you are wrong in your opinion as many have commented on the "perceived brightness" issue, just as many at quite happy with the sound of Pompeii, I'm one of those but then I haven't whacked the volume up like I would have done in the past, just moderate volume settings for me these days so it sounds ok to me..

16. Kim Olesen

You said you had knowledge of AJ finding my question rude. Andy has a public social media account. If you have that as a professional you get asked questions from time. That is the very nature of social media. I have to deal with questions from people about my work several times a week. That is the nature of having done work people know and having an online presence. Some questions i choose to ignore, some i don’t. But do not imply that you know what AJ thought if my question unless you have first hand knowledge!!!

Oh, and stereotyping me on my nationality....now that on the other hand IS rude.

Max Florian likes this.
  17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

In that case I am also stereotyping myself. Maybe as a Brit I/we are too reserved to be so upfront in posing the question you asked in the way you asked. I can only assume that because AJ blocked you he did not like the tone of your query.

18. Kim Olesen

Well there are plenty of brits here who have asked questions to industry people via social media. Perhaps AJ was embarrased that his work had come out with a mastering mistake. Or perhaps he was in no position to talk about it and therefor blocks everybody who asks any question. All assumptions. As is yours.

19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I decided to try something. I took the Meddle 2016 mix and de-emphasized it (as if it was from a CD with pre-emphasis) and it sounds fantastic! The harshness was completely gone.

Edit: I see someone touched on this above.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    drevil and Max Florian like this.
  20. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

The "Obscured by Clouds" remix is *terrible*. I say this as someone who generally prefers remixes of vintage recordings.

21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I de-emphasized Clouds as well and put “Wot’s... Uh The Deal” on. It sounded great!

drevil and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. Earth Spirit

Earth Spirit Well-Known Member

sounds fine to me. got the vinyl rip of both 2016 reissues and the 2016 mix. same digital source I think, of course it'll sound different in vinyl cause of limitations.

23. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

It;s not unlistenable, but it is disappointing. There is more clarity on these remixes so it's just annoying that they're so top end heavy. Luckily I have earphones now that don't make me wince with top-end heavy stuff.
    Pompeii sounds amazing though from memory. Was pretty damn happy with it. Can't imagine there being a version that even compares with it. Haven't heard Meddle.

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Listening now I prefer the 2016 Obscured remix, but totally wouldn't blame anyone for hating it. The high-end doesn't bother me nearly as much now with my earphones and I get used to it almost immediately. A slight startle then pure bliss. Comparing tracks side by side makes the 2016 an easy win for me. It's just more powerful. Beginning of Free Four and Obscured are good examples of that.

StormSignal likes this.
  25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

How do you de-emphasise it? With EQ changing things yeah?
    Will the one on Spotify do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.