BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love Eno. I really dont need any reissues; i am happy with what i have. I think i have all his music and none seem to have "issues". Not investing in any more

Ethan B and audiotom like this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

The 45s are nice pressings - outside of some quality control issues - non fill for me baby
    I am glad they have provided these
    and if you don't have a pristine original these are a no brainer

Still the original first pressings are so much more open and natural sounding

nice to have the option

that said - Eno's flow on sequencing is critical and broken up in the 45 format
    some really killer transitions neutered

I'm going to order the new 33 1/3's - it's Eno - it's his main cannon

3. the avant-guvnor

the avant-guvnor Well-Known Member

The dropout issues are not exaggerated, rather when combined with pressing issues, overall the releases are disappointing.

The quality of the 45rpm pressings is poor. I have received the 4 45rpm LPs now from 3 different suppliers and they all exhibit the same pressing issues as have been discussed in these forums. All LPs have had to be returned. I don't think that is bad luck and is a real shame because, where the vinyl is clean, the 45rpm reissues do sound superb.

So, IMO, the work done by Miles Showell on these releases has been badly let done by a combination of tape degradation and more significantly, pressing issues.

Do you have any evidence for Miles Showell's processing methods or are you just speculating here?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Evidence is in the article that's been posted 2-3 times in this thread that explains his process completely.

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Even if you stick only to the 1970s, don’t forget (No Pussyfooting) (1973), Evening Star (1975), Cluster and Eno (1977), After the Heat (1978), Music For Films (1978).

None of those are what gets called “ambient”, if that sort of thing puts you off.

After the Heat is virtually Before and After Science’s sibling, with sinister Eno vocal pop (Broken Head) and pretty intense instrumental rhythms (Base and Apex) among the more “laid back” pieces. Even Music For Films is often a grinding, crunching thing, with small but essential Another Green World type contributions from John Cale (viola) and Phil Collins (percussion)..

Michael D, soundQman, mne563 and 2 others like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You got bad pressings, mine were okay. I still maintain my opinions. You are entitled to yours...

7. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

100% this.

richard a and BlueSpeedway like this.
  8. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Back in Blighty there was you, there were milk men every morning.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Hard to label Eno’s music as it was always kind of unique and very avant-garde. MFF, Evening star and No pussyfooting have less or no rock elements to them but you are right this was not ambient music yet. Definitely far from the 4 reissues but nevertheless challenging hence our interest to listen to this even more than 40 years after their release date.

10. BlueSpeedway

Music For Films isn’t that far from Another Green World, the lack of singing on the former doesn’t change that for me. I believe much of it was recorded at the same time, or close to it. Hence the appearance of Collins and Cale who are both on both albums. There’s also a Music For Films era track not released until later which is a reworking or different version of Green World’s track In Dark Trees.

And 801 Live (1976, with singing), Cluster and Eno (1977, no singing) and After the Heat (1978, with singing) I strongly believe are 100% essential parts of the era; an era that the focus on the brilliant but IMO erroneously called “quartet” does a disservice to.

Michael D, gr8trak and Norco74 like this.
  11. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

wait, are you saying that the issues don't exist? if that's the case, let's swap!! since I'm imagining the drop outs on my copies of BAAS and HCTWJ, you should have no problem with 'em, right?
    if you're just debating how prevalent the QC issues are on these, then ignore me. :)

12. BlueSpeedway

Pussyfooting and Evening are definitely I guess not going to appeal to everyone who likes the others, as they still sound pretty far out 40+ years later. For me, Evening Star’s 28-minute An Index of Metals is one of the best things to ever grace plastic and my ears. I listened to it recently for the first time in quite a while, very loud while ill and drugged. Fabulous!

13. Norco74

Try the official live in Paris they have released last year or previous one. Close the light, burn a candle or whatever you like and let the music carry you on a magic carpet ride. You can try this straight as the repetitive motive of the music will send you in a trance anyway...

Michael D and BlueSpeedway like this.
  14. Norco74

Right. I was 16 when I heard Another Green World for the first time. To this day this is the one I have listened to the most despite the fact that I have most of his output. Probably the one representing the best his whole musical palette, past and future.

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. Mateo Sanboval

Ah, just the state Eno was in when he first conceived the notion of his version of ambient music.

Norco74 and Jerry James like this.
  16. Norco74

Ambient or Discreet?

On the playlist for tomorrow a.m.: Discreet Music, Ambient 1 and 2. Ambient 3 was always the odd one IMO, never really got into it. Will readdress that later on. Ambient 4 is a late night affair for me so tomorrow night closing piece.

17. Mateo Sanboval

Supposedly, if memory serves, Ambient 1 was spawned from this experience.

18. Drugged? perhaps. but the music was not L_O_U_D.

The sounds of the outside atmosphere in correlation to the music he was listening to -- which was 'in and out, above and underneath' the threshold of his hearing.

That is where the concept of "Ambient" became.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

Here’s the first time Judy Nylon told her full story of her oft-mentioned 1975 post-hospital visit to Eno, bearing an LP listening gift for the unwell, leading to the birth of Eno’s “ambient” and more.

For those who don’t know, as well as her own activities, she was the “ooh la la” vocalist on his Seven Deadly Finns single, collaborator on the King’s Lead Hat RAF B-side, featured in a then-unreleased Tiger Mountain promo video made in 1974, and is the subject of the song Back in Judy’s Jungle.

The scene: Eno had been knocked down by a London taxi while crossing the road, having literally just recorded the used vocal take for his and Manzanera’s track Miss Shapiro. Over to Nylon, 2001...

LITERATURE: INTERVIEW WITH JUDY NYLON

20. Mateo Sanboval

Oh, don't be such a Funky Pedant. He was laid up with a busted something, sick, and on meds. It was just a humorous observation, not a rough draft of my Ambient 1 33&1/3.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. OK

:)

ya got Ambient 2 - The Plateaux of Mirror?

It's da bomb.

22. the avant-guvnor

the avant-guvnor Well-Known Member

Agreed. The point is though, that it is disappointing to get bad pressings 3 times and I don't believe that this should be happening for any audiophile release. Down to poor quality control IMO.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

These are done at Optimal right? I think I’ve had a hell of a lot of defective pressings across the board recently from them. I tried 3 copies of the latest National album and they all had really bad no fill distortion....

I’ve had more issues with them recently than any other pressing plant. It seems they are struggling maybe at the moment... I do agree with you though.

24. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

All excellent lps
    You can find them easier than the 4 vocal albums

I fondly remember as each one of these came out - how engaging each was in it's own special way

I recorded tzima n'arki to reel to reel - ran the tape backwards and recorded to cassette

Eno recorded it, figured out how to sing it backward and laid the backwards vocal down phonetically forwards on the backwards backing instrumental track

oh wow - somebody did a youtube

If God had listened to my story - none of this ever would have happened...

some other pretty cool eno song visuals if you let youtube continue playing

25. tipustiger

tipustiger Well-Known Member

I've uploaded a video so you can hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.