Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

She plays an entire 30-minute CBS "Your Hit Parade" program, complete with songs by other artists. Her notes claim it's from 8 Nov 1943, although other sources say 6 Nov 1943 (which agrees with the Saturday night air time). The program appeared on a "Radio Days" CD on a no-name label.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It is a magnificent piece of work. :)

I hate to sound like a broken record here but if you love the set, don't forget to treat yourself to its companion disc from the Smithsonian. You'll love it just as much.

NorCal, DmitriKaramazov, MMM and 2 others like this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Must give as well ... I found myself buying it for a friend this Christmas.

MMM and Simon A like this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes. I have that one also. Very well done.

Simon A likes this.
  5. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I picked up a copy from Amazon Marketplace for $5. Listed as used / very good, arrived new / sealed.
    Thanks to @Bob F for the recommendation on another thread.

paulmock, Bob F and Simon A like this.
  6. Has this release turned anyone into a heavy smoker yet? ;) Talk about the times changing, but I can't get over how many cigarette, smoking and tobacco adverts they used to have on public radio!

I've been listening to this set quite a lot lately and I particularly like the in-between song banter with other guests. The exchange with Nat King Cole makes me laugh every time.

paulmock, Simon A and bluesbro like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think I got a case of smoker's cough just listening to it. :)

paulmock, Simon A and SteveM like this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Nice shot of Sinatra and Fred Allen at CBS.
    s-l1600-235.jpg
    March 14, 1945?? (I'm guessing they worked together multiple times; that's but one possible date.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    ZippyPippy, rangerjohn, MMM and 4 others like this.
  9. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Regarding Fred Allen, one of the funniest shows in which Sinatra is a guest is...the May 16, 1943 show. It's on the Radio Spirits Box Set.
    the Segment in which FA tries to get Sinatra to record his song "Chili " is really funny... even today.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Haven't played those CD's in ages...I'll have to dig that one out.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Where is the best price on this?

12. MLutthans

s-l1600-79.jpg s-l1600-80.jpg
    Tickets posted on Ebay.

I'm surprised that this takes place at what is now the Sunset Bronson studios, which are only 4 or 5 blocks east of Columbia Square, which is where I had assumed these CBS shows originated.

Richard--W, Tord, NorCal and 7 others like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

VERY cool!

MMM and colormesinatra like this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Note that the entire "Your Hit Parade" show was not broadcast from Sunset Blvd.—just the Frank Sinatra numbers. Much of the program aired from New York with vocals by Joan Edwards and the Hit Paraders chorus.

On the ticket date of May 20, 1944, this is what radio listeners heard: Sinatra led off YHP from Hollywood with the #7 song of the week, "I'll Be Seeing You." This was followed (in New York) by the Hit Paraders with "Poinciana" (#6), and Joan Edwards with "It's Love, Love, Love" (#4) and "Goodnight Wherever You Are" (#8). Frank from the remote feed performed "I Love You" (#5), then back to Joan Edwards in NYC with "Amor" (#9), the Hit Paraders with "I'll Get By" (#3), and Joan with "San Fernando Valley" (#2). Frank wrapped up the half-hour show with the nation's #1 song of the week, "Long Ago and Far Away." (A Hit Paraders song is tacked onto the end of the AFRS rebroadcast, sans Lucky Strike commercials.)

Richard--W, NorCal, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  15. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

Thank you all for sharing all your knowledge here; I'm continually learning so much from the posters here both on facts and sound quality (which has helped me spend money wisely).

bozburn, Simon A and Bob F like this.
  16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Spend more of it, in my case.

Simon A likes this.
  17. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Martin- curious if there's any talk of a Voice On Air Volume 2? I haven't heard anything about how the first set sold, or what the chances are of a sequel. Any gossip you can share?

Hep Alien and Simon A like this.
  18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Count me in!

19. MLutthans

Print ad for one of the Vimm's programs, with Milton Berle, 1944:
    200635.jpg

NorCal, stevelucille and Simon A like this.
  20. MLutthans

Promotional item from the Lucky Strike shows:
    s-l1600-172.jpg s-l1600-173.jpg

Steve...O, Simon A and colormesinatra like this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the 192/24 download from HD Tracks?
    Does anyone know what the sources are? Ie., is this a real 192/24 transfer from whatever sources they found. Or is it upsampled 44.1/16?...

I'm thinking about getting it.

Also, caution, "Songs for Swingin Lovers" is available from Qobuz at 96/24. It sounds like 44.1/16. There is nothing above 16 or 18 KHz.
    I am guessing Qobuz are less than diligent about their sources.

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I have a question for you Gentlemen. Do any of the tracks that were recorded for broadcast and which were featured in the various compilations (Sings Cole Porter, Sinatra Sings Gershwin, Sings Rodgers And Hammerstein, Swing And Dance With Frank Sinatra, and all other greatest hits type releases) duplicated in the A Voice On Air set (and the Smithsonian companion disc)? I would also like to know if anyone has put together a list of what has been officially issued by Columbia and what has not? I'd like to make sure I have everything that has been officially released. Thank you for your help! :)

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Many thanks Bob! :)

Bob F likes this.
  25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wherever possible - meaning tracks which got new, raw transfers done by us specifically for the set - they are true 24/192. Given the logistics of this set's material, and the numerous avenues needed for all the sources, this was not always possible, but the best available source for each song was always searched out and used. In relation to 24/192 + new transfers, as much Chuck, Andreas, and myself were committed to optimum sound quality, the music/repertoire came first. Most of the new transfers we did though were not only 24/192, but also played back through a restored, vintage tube McIntosh C8S preamp with Telefunken 12AX7's. All the restoration/mastering for every track was done at 24/192.

BTW - Last I checked, the HDTracks samples are just mp3's, if you were thinking of sampling that first to make your decision.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017