Tommy Bolin: Private Eyes [Speakers Corner]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylsolution, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see this is being released today, per normal they claim :"This Speakers Corner LP was remastered using pure analogue components only, from the master tapes through to the cutting head. All royalties and mechanical rights have been paid."
    I guess I will have to check it out!

2. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

What a great album

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

4. vinylsolution

Per the link I included, Release Date: 2017-11-01

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

That's a great LP, one of my long-term favorites. I'll be in for this if it's a step up from my well worn copy.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Such a great album.

7. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

Listening to the Speakers Corner release right now. This is my third vinyl copy next to a previous original American and European pressing. Sounds great. Clean pressing with a solid bass and smooth sound. Not a new revelation but a great copy to have of this excellent album. No further information who actually mastered this version beside the common info on the standard sticker on the front. If you don't have a copy already this is a good place to start however.
    BTW it has a nice glossy cover and an insert with details about the recording and musicians

ashlee5, Reese and patrickd like this.
  8. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

SACD Please!

9. vinylsolution

Are there any clues in deadwax etching?

10. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

Hell yeah! A 5.1 of P.E's would be adorable

Grampire likes this.
  11. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

I just ordered this!! My Speakers Corner version of Cheap Tricks debut is jaw dropping

12. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

I've always heard that the master tapes to PE were lost, hence no chance of a remaster. Did this edition ever come out on CD?

dbz likes this.
  13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I may have to check this out. From their website..

Who cuts the records?

In order to obtain the most faithful reproduction of the original, we have the lacquers cut on the spot, by engineers who, on the whole, have been dealing with such tapes for many years.
    Some are even cut by the very same engineer who cut the original lacquers of the first release. Over the years the following engineers have been and still are working for us: Tony Hawkins, Willem Makkee, Kevin Gray, Maarten de Boer, Scott Hull, Rainer Maillard, and Ray Staff, to name but a few.

Are your records cut from the original masters?
    In our re-releases it is our aim to faithfully reproduce the original intentions of the musicians and recording engineers which, however, could not be realised at the time due to technical limitations.
    Faithfulness to the original is our top priority, not the interpretation of the original: there is no such thing as a “Speakers Corner Sound”. Naturally, the best results are obtained when the original master is used. Therefore we always try to locate these and use them for cutting. Should this not be possible, – because the original tape is defective or has disappeared, for example – we do accept a first-generation copy. But this remains an absolute exception for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  14. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I've had this for a while but was waiting to give it a serious listen. It's playing now. I'd say it's a very solid pressing - more bass and a little more detail in places than my old vinyl copy (of somewhat unknown vintage). In fact, after years of hearing the old copy, this sounds noticeably warmer to my ears, which will take some adjustment. I'll have to dig out the older copy and do a real back to back but it's nice to have a clean, quiet copy of this. On tracks like 'Hello Again', the instrumental detail on strings is clearly enhanced, and two sax tracks are clearly distinct on 'Sweet Burgundy' where I used to not notice before, but it does sound warmer overall (meaning fuller, emphasizing the bass side more, which I know some will find pleasing, but a little softer on the treble side). The album is such a time capsule to me, a mix of rock, funk, jazz, and simple acoustic guitar work, with Tommy singing well on top. It just takes me back to years ago and yet it still sounds contemporary. Makes me miss him all the more, I can only imagine what he'd have done. Since I think you can still find cheap used copies of this LP for $5 in lots of places, no harm in having both but I think I'd give this version the nod :) Meanwhile, I'm gonna spin it again and go post-toastee....

15. vinylsolution

I find the Speakers Corner to have a bit less bass, yet a bit more detail than my original WLP pressing.
    I shared hi-res transfers I made of both with some friends, and that was a fairly consistent appraisal among some pretty serious Tommy fans.

The original promo has the narrowest of deadwax / runout too, they used up the wax on the original compared to the SC edition.
    That said, I'd not part with either of them.

[​IMG]

dbz likes this.
  16. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

It's all about the bass on Private Eyes

Purplerocks and Jeff Minn like this.
  17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I caved.:help:
    Had the only copy on Ebay UK in my watch list.
    Sat with some Sweet Burgundy and watching the listing timing ending.
    Had my gun cocked and loaded and now I'm crisp and toasted and my soul is jumpin' for joy.

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Finally got around to getting a copy of the Speakers Corner release of Private Eyes. This is the first vinyl release I have gotten of Tommy Bolin and so glad that I did, this LP sounds fantastic.
    I have picked up a few other Speakers Corners LP's recently and can say they have all been excellent. If I see a title I like that's released by Speakers Corner I won't hesitate buying it.

19. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

I have a mint Japanese pressing of P.E. - wonder if I need this vinyl as well.
    I know I need the SACD, BPA, DVD-A of it. (dreamer I know what you're thinking....)

Purplerocks likes this.
  20. jc hifi

jc hifi Well-Known Member

Excellent dynamic range and dead silent with great bass response via celestion ditton 66.
    Went through my collection and for some reason i’d seemed to have lost the original european copy. The SC copy is well sorted. Great job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.