Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

Still waiting to hear back about the missing disc 2. I've only listened to the first disc and it sounds great. I'll check out disc 3 to see if there are any issues w/ that one like you're experiencing US Blues.

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  2. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Haven't had a chance to give the show a spin. Hope the bass isn't as distractingly loud as the Hofheinz Pavillion release, found that mostly unlistenable the bass is so much louder than everything else. Vocals super low (except Donna, go figure), not a pleasant listen.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Perhaps I was not clear: I was one of the first people to order the E72 steamer trunk and never received one. I was not charged for one, but they messed up the ordering process magnificently.

Ryan Donahue and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I remember that ordering the steamer trunk was a real mess. The webpage collapsed, then we were given a reservation number, etc etc. I was not a member of this forum in 2011, so I guess I missed a lot of fun.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The sad thing is that this is the 21st Century. And yet Dead.net, to this day, cannot handle the volume of input they get when a desired item hits the store. WTF?! I want my Jetson's Lifestyle and I want it now! :cool:

7. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I was not a happy camper the afternoon when the May 77 Get Shone the Light Box Set was announced. Finally my wife was able to get through around 6:30pm.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

No problems here at the end of disc 3. Plays fine right to the end on a an old Panasonic portable I have at the office.

BTW, guess I'm "Rat Head," from Skullf**k.

budwhite and notesofachord like this.
  9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Starting my second listen: still good :)

I’m on disc one and really noticing the kick drum on certain songs this time, which I hadn’t until someone pointed it out.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    bmoregnr likes this.
  10. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

It seems like the closer you are to the Tennessee shipping facility the later they ship it. I have yet to receive a shipping notice (I reside in GA) whereas the gentleman from Hawaii received his discs days ago.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The kick drum (and other drums) on this release sound fantastic.

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...but you had to sell your kidneys just to get your Porch Crusher, right?

US Blues and Rne like this.
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Here's hoping yours arrives soon. It wasn't that long ago that I received my copies 2-3 weeks after everyone else.

RueBourbon76 and bmoregnr like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, yes, and you nice people were there to read my posts filled with anxiety :laugh:. Nice memories.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Simply for the purpose of helping to close the loop on our DaP24 discussion, I got a really nice email response from Jeffrey; what a real gentleman as we all know. He didn’t bite on my request for more details on how it was done, and I think at this point that is for the best anyway. What did come across very clearly is he is appreciative of all our comments and I think he sees the points made which he said were helpful. He didn’t make this an excuse but the low end on this was a tougher nut for him to crack as it wasn’t getting the power it deserved. Certainly he didn’t want to offend or upset anyone and instead wants to do right by us as he respects all the listeners out there. So again, some really good points were made by everyone on the thread and it was a fun discussion for me to follow. Jeffrey specifically noted the comments I sent from @Archtop as being excellent observations. So all in all pretty darn cool we can have these discussions here amongst friends and then be lucky enough as fans of an organization where those thoughts from time to time can get heard by the GO’TPTB.

16. David Beckwith

Excellent news! Glad we got verification from the man himself. I still think this new release sounds fantastic. Let’s be honest, there’s always some messing around on any release. I’m just glad to see Jeffrey and Dave doing what they think will be best for each show at hand. Cheers to them!

ianuaditis and bmoregnr like this.
  17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

It's also one helluva time for Dave's Picks flippers/scalpers on ebay. NEVER bid on any DaP with a Seller who refuses returns. Buyers BEWARE!

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'd say NEVER bid on any DaP on ebay PERIOD.

Starve the bastids out.

Olompali likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I never have. I’ve actually never bid on or bought anything from
    eBay ever. I only recently even looked at some of them. I made a mistake to request to “watch” a bid on Dave’s 14 - I got notification after it was completed that it sold for sonething like $35 to $40 which is less than half of the best price I’ve seen on that release over the past 6 months.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

It’s a necessary evil if you wish to have the physical product and came into the game late. You can’t just go buy most of the archival material in physical format otherwise. I will certainly say some sellers are better than others and I’ve sold a few things there I didn’t need or became obsolete. The worst offenders are the buy it nows at outrageous prices or those who start auctions at 3 or 4x retail on new items.

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Have i ever paid over the odds for a few retail GoGD sets? Yes, yes i have. But some ebay Scalpers are just redonkilous!

22. David Beckwith

I missed out on a few of the Dicks Picks years back when they were initially released so I backfilled on the 2 or 3 I was missing a few years ago...had to wait a while until I saw them at fair prices. I can never understand some of the asking prices for those things on eBay...best way to put them all out of business is to subscribe to the series!

ScramMan2 and ianuaditis like this.
  23. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I made it through about half of Dave's 24 disc 1 last night before I had to pull the plug (too much going on with Halloween & World Series among other things).

As for the show quality: On first listen, I agree with the "good, not great" camp, although that might change as things get more interesting as the show progresses.

As far as the sound goes, it's not THAT bad, although I think I'd prefer if it was less futzed with. There's plenty of Phil. I wouldn't even say too much - the amount of bass is fine, but to me it sounds bloated, fuzzy, and lacking the definition and detail that is usually there w/ Phil. I don't really hear the "doubling" effect, but it sounds a little smeared and artificial (thus sounding more like a "synth" bass at times than a stringed instrument).

It sounds like JN is not offering any further details on his methods, unfortunately (although I very much respect his accessibility and response that he offered). If I had to guess, I would say maybe he used a multiband compressor, in an attempt to bring the bass levels up without altering the sound of everything else (?)

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Jeffrey asked that I pass along his last two emails. For context my first email was basically my earlier post on my listening notes abridged to take out the non-listening bits; that and I added that responses about the low end were pretty even on this thread along with it being pretty well liked on Dead.net, and provided about four of @Archtop’s comments in the thread that I thought would be on point to what a well versed musician bass player heard with no prompting. Here were his responses less some salutations.

“As always, thank you for your thoughtful comments. Man oh man, I really got a controversy going didn’t I? As I was working on DPv24 I had no idea I would be creating a problem for some people. I did indeed add some low end that was not in the original two track, all because I just wasn’t getting the power from Phil’s bass that I felt it deserved. I thought I was enhancing the performance and now I see to some I was in a way altering it (excellent observations by the bass player; is that @Crispy Rob?), and that is not what I intended.

‘normally delivered in the manner of a well-born Englishman— the product of an Eton Cambridge man—having a lyrical, fine and sophisticated quality; this has the effect of making it a bit cockney.’

That’s a great way to describe it! In any case, I apologize to all those out there that were offended or unhappy, I respect those many excellent ears in your forum and want to do well for them. I’m starting work on DPv26, and it will sound great and the bass off the tape is strong. Unfortunately I also felt there was a bass problem on DPv25, so I’ll probably get more complaints when it comes out! However in the future I won’t be altering, I’ll hopefully be only enhancing!”

Next for some more context, in my reply I pointed out such things as no not a huge controversy; we appreciate his thoughts and that he gives ours a listen; I pointed out the bass player was @Archtop, and that on the forum Archtop is a verb and I tried to lay a nice Archtop on him… (I was a little pressed for time so searched for dorian via @Archtop and laid the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs after the jump from this post The Grateful Thread ). He replied…

“ ’we especially appreciate that you are listening to us and making us feel like we are all in it together.’

Hey I’m very conscience of you guys, and even though I don’t subscribe to the forum, it’s very important to me that in general you in the group like what I’m doing (you can’t please everyone). I appreciate our emails as you’ve become their unofficial spokesperson and that’s a good thing. Sometimes it’s takes awhile for me to respond, and although I’m not trying to discourage communication, if I had to answer a bunch of emails I’d probably never get to any. In any case, I figure if I can please you guys, the true “picky Deadheads”, I’m heading in the right direction. It was good for me to hear back about this DPv24, I realize I was getting a little off-track in my goal to have it sound great but be invisible in the process.

I love those Archtop comments. I’ll pass them on to my son who is an amateur musician and a jazz fan, he’ll love ‘em. thanks again, Jeffrey

once again, please pass on my response (this one and the last one) to the group.”

With that I sent a hearty thanks and of course an invitation that his son should join the fun on SHF with its plenty of jazz fans and experts.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This is the only thing wrong with your comment. He has GD stuff to master, we can't have him falling into the SHF vortex.

(I kid of course, I actually love that in this place a truly rank amateur such as myself can rub elbows with GD bigshots.)

GerryO and footlooseman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.