Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

2. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

ssstand likes this.
  3. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Hurwitz did not complain about this box but about another new Bernstein box (there are so many), the 100 CD box from Sony.

4. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

bluemooze and ssstand like this.
  5. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

6. password196

password196 Forum Resident

I love his Strauss opera recordings.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I own this box and love it:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You're right, my mistake. With all those Bernstein boxes one can easily get confused ;)

ssstand likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not an opera fan, otherwise I'd be all over this.

10. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

Understood. I, on the other hand, am a huge opera fan and this is an incredibly significant release. I've been enjoying the Bohm boxes that DG has put out related to his orchestral work, and I can't wait for this one.

On another note, my copy of the Bernstein 100 years box was delivered on Friday. I get larger orders delivered to my office rather than my home, so I'm just beginning to explore it this morning. I don't like Hurwitz, but I would be interested in his criticisms if anyone has access to those.

My first impressions are that this box is a lovely thing. Sturdy box, elegant and comprehensive book, and the 100 CDs. Very similar to the Gould/Perahia/Ma/Rubinstein boxes. I am personally very fond of the replica LP CD covers, and they look splendid. I read somewhere that his contains approximately 1/3 of Lenny's complete Columbia output. I love him, and would purchase other boxes if they put those out with the rest of the content, but there is something to be said for a more selective approach. I think Bernstein was a genius, but like most he was better at some repertoire than other parts of it. If they nailed it in the selections here, this is plenty of Lenny for 99%+ of the population.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

He seems mystified by the selection of what to put in and what to leave out, that the original jackets don't always match what's on the disc and that they didn't fix some mastering problems.

Specifically, he complained about
    • A mastering defect in The Sorcerer's Apprentice that was there on previous releases
    • Original jacket of Harris's 3rd symphony includes symphonies by Randall Thompson and David Diamond, which aren't included in the box. Instead the Harris symphony is accompanied by Bernstein’s “Jeremiah” Symphony.
    • No complete symphony cycle.
    Since I have both Sony Bernstein Symphonies and Concertos boxes, I already have everything from Sony, so this box doesn't interest me.

bluemooze, ssstand and ubertrout like this.
  12. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

It's just a bizarre release, neither fish nor fowl. Presumably most Bernstein fans got the much more interesting Symphonies and Concertos/Orchestral Works boxes, and are waiting on the vocal/miscellaneous box. Sony could have included all of those along with a "greatest hits" assortment to reach 100 CDs, but instead they just did a potpourri. I suspect the Bernstein 100 set they actually created was made more to put purchased than listened to.

As someone who didn't get the previous DG boxes, the new one is really interesting. The liberal inclusion of 36 DVDs, and the Beethoven Symphonies on blu-ray audio, makes it even more tempting. I suspect I'll let the price drop a little more, but the asking price is hardly unfair.

bluemooze and ssstand like this.
  13. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I've listened to about 20 from the Mozart box and a few from the LvB box.
    I'm impressed enough to have the Schubert box on the way and a couple of others in my cart.
    I'll probably get the Bach box after the holidays.
    How are the BC Vivaldi, BC Dvorak & the BC Brahms editions?

Customer service at Brilliant Classics is outstanding.

I sent this e-mail @ 2:25AM

[​IMG]
    Their reply with .pdf attachment that I received @ 5:46AM

[​IMG]

14. wonderful

wonderful Member

well i dont like so much Karajan, many other people feel the same to example:

"
    Names to avoid

Karajan, Ashkenazy, Kissin, Lang Lang, Maazel, Mrs Mills and Richard Clayderman. Forget you ever knew these people."

The 168 best classical music recordings

for me this one looks more interesting:

Luciano Pavarotti the complete operas

others

Haydn Edition
    2017 | Box set

Alkan: Edition Box set

Milestones Of A Legend
    2017 | Box set
    by Alfredo Campoli

I looking for tips box of music played in

Steinway & Sons piano

bluemooze likes this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Vivaldi box is great. The Frescobaldi box is another good one. I also recommend the Shostakovitch box. I'd get it if I didn't already have around 1/3 of it as smaller sets from Brilliant. I have the symphonies, concertos, miscellaneous orchestral works, chamber works, some songs and some piano works.

Another good one is Messiaen Edition Volume 1. It's the complete piano works, organ works and songs. I bought it specifically for the piano works by Peter Hill. The box was cheaper than the individual Peter Hill CDs and I got the organ works and songs as a bonus.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

A wonderful example of why I no longer get my recommendations from people who don't know my taste.

Papageno, crispi, David*M and 3 others like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:agree:

18. wonderful

wonderful Member

I had listen my selft to Karajan and i say i dont like him!

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Isn't it great when a companies customer service is outstanding? :edthumbs:

Mowgli likes this.
  20. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

The Vivaldi box is one of my favorites. I've been rotating between it, the Quartetto Italiano, and Bernstein boxes.

Mowgli likes this.
  21. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Completely agree. I hope they are working on a volume 2!

I also got it because I wanted the Peter Hill Catalogue d'Oiseaux, which are OOP and hard to find. For a bit more than the cost of those CDs I'm glad to have the rest of the works as well. I haven't listened to his Vingt Regards yet but I am looking forward to it.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Presto Classical's annual box set sale has begun.

bluemooze and dajokr like this.
  23. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Not a new set... Abbado Symphony Edition 41 CD set, which had been overpriced for a long time, is US 64.00 at moment on Amazon Canada.

It is 83 canadian dolars, which converted into US Dollar means 64.00 dolars.

I bought one now, specially for the recording of Mahler´s Second Symphony (Ressurrection) with Lucern Festival Orchestra, which is my very favorite recording of one of my favorite pieces, and also for his Brahms´ symphony cicle which I have not listened to yet but is regarded as one of the best "modern" cicles.

https://www.amazon.ca/Symphony-40-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00BN1QV0S

RiRiIII and dajokr like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

bluemooze, bigstar87 and hvbias like this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

George have you heard Arcadi Volodos play the solo works? Funny I posted a few days ago in the discussion thread I was looking for another complete cycle to complement the Katchen.