Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, who knows? Maybe it's just arbitrary parts pricing.

2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

KAB ELECTRO - ACOUSTICS       HTTP://WWW.KABUSA.COM

It's under the NEWS link on his INFO page.

Given the great reviews of both the G and GR, I wonder how much of an effect the "tin-plated" wire has on the GR and especially the G -- if it's used there? I would assume that any arm can be rewired. That's not something I would expect to have to do on a $2k to $4k TT though.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I wonder if the G/GAE arms have different wiring...or anything else different other than a magnesium arm tube. I doubt Kevin would spend over $1,000 for the privilege of dissecting that one.

4. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

The GR seems sold out everywhere in Europe.

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Isn't the sound signature mostly a function of the cartridge rather than the turntable?

Robert C and Tiger-Eyes like this.
  6. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Where are you? Available pretty much everywhere here in the UK. I'm demo'ing a 1210GR next week.

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was emailing with Kevin of KAB about the differences between the tonearms of the G/GAE vs. the GR. He doesn’t have a G arm for comparison.

He didn’t know much for certain except that one has a magnesium arm tube and the other one is aluminum. He said there was some suggestion that the bearings may be better in the G, but he didn’t have any specific evidence.

He also thought the G arm would at least have the same wire that was in the M5G, and that is pure copper.

As to the great cost difference, his research lead him to conclude that aluminum alloys are less expensive and have a lower die casting cost. Magnesium alloys are expensive, and the die casting cost is quite high.

Somebody needs to buy one of those G arms and take it apart!:agree:

FashionBoy and AArchie like this.
  8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Just a quick update on the GR/G headshell - there are a couple of slight differences. One is the finish - where the GR has a slight texture to it the G headshell I purchased from Panasonic is smooth. The only other difference that I noticed was a pleasant one, the finger lift, along with being thinner on the G, is also longer - making it that much easier to manually place/lift it on/off of the record.

I don't have a scale but weight felt the same. Wiring looked the same. Other dimensions were the same.

It does seem weird that they crafted two different headshells that are very similar with one costing $9 more than the other.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

No. I've heard instantly noticeable very obvious differences with the same cart on different turntables. I'm sure others have as well.

10. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I've read that the differences are the magnesium and the bearings. I would think/ hope the wiring is also upgraded, but I haven't found anything supporting that. I think we'll learn more about it when the SP-10 tone arm options come out.

11. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I've been calling around looking for a 1200G and while GRs are readily available, Gs are scarce. However, I found a GAE if anyone wants to spend $5k!!!

displayname likes this.
  12. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Still waiting for them to release the price of the upcoming SP10R.

displayname likes this.
  13. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That could be scary for us mere mortals.

PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  14. displayname

Is your wallet a dump truck? Because it's going to be a truckload of cash.

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

We’ll see. If I can get it either through MSRP or discount at around $8k, then I’m going for it.

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Don’t blame you. I think it will probably be under $10k. $8k for that actually isn’t bad considering the prices on the high-end audiophile turntables currently on the market. And I’m guessing it will be better than most of what’s out there at any price, given how good the SL-1200G is. Look forward to seeing this thing next summer!

17. displayname

From what I've read the general guess is probably somewhere in the 8-10 range, but that's before you add a plinth and arm. I think it's going to be hard to get your hands on the full SP10 for under 10. Unless you have some connections.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I’m even more impressed after seeing this. Can we get Panasonic to start manufacturing vinyl records in clean rooms?

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

He needs to wear a white glove if he's going to be touching all the parts and components while touring the factory.

FashionBoy and PhilBiker like this.
  21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Not that different than those Rega, Pro-Ject and VPI tours.:rolleyes:

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

two questions-
    do these new tables come with decent alignment gauges?
    how does the sound of the G compare with the GR?
    thanks.

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It comes with a tool to set the overhang. The alignment is set by the S-shaped arm.

I haven’t compared the G to the GR, but the GR is very very good.

recstar24 likes this.
  24. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Be aware that third party headshells (at least the Ortofon and Nagaoka headshells I have examined) differ from the stock Technics headshell in the vertical angle between the bayonet mount axis and the mounting surface for the cartridge. It has two ramifications when using such third party headshells:

A. The recommended tonearm VTA adjustments for the various cartridge heights given in the Technics manual will not apply and visual VTA alignment is necessary. This has a silver lining in that certain low cartridges may not require spacers.

B. Using the Technics overhang gauge will introduce a small overhang error. Using a standard protractor may be preferable.

Of course, if only using the stock headshells, then the overhang gauge and the VTA step table work fine.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

A: This is the opposite of what I've experienced when using Ortofon headshells (SH-4). On my MK2 I have to bottom out the VTA with the Ortofon HS whereas with the Technics HS my VTA would be about 4. I have a 1200G coming and I anticipate using headshell shims with the Ortofon HS. If anyone knows of a nice HS that holds the cart lower than the Technics HS, please share. :)

B: I don't see why there would be an error unless the tonearm isn't level in both cases. I use a 90 degree card to ensure that the needle is lined up with the gage when using the ortofon HS since it holds the cart so much higher than the Technics HS and it's hard to "eyeball."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.