I'm through with Best Buy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jerryb, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought a Roku Ultra from Best Buy a few weeks ago. It's not working right so I went to start a return and it said no longer eligible for return after 15 days. 15 days? It always used to be 30 days.Now it's 15 days for most products unless I become a member of their club and pay extra for 30 day returns. BS.

2. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

YOU WANT ME TO GO DOWN THERE AND SORT THEM OUT JERRY? I'LL DO IT, YOU JUST GIMME THE WORD.

3. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I remember back in the day when warranties were free. All you had to do was send in the card and you were covered.

johnny q and Dave like this.
  4. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Never mind the store's return policy, how are manufacturers making such crappy products that they don't work within 30 days of purchase?

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the demise of HH Gregg just bolstered best buy's dominance of a very thin market........the only thing i buy at best buy is CD's with bonus material that i cannot get anywhere else.

6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I don't call them Worst Buy for nothing. Haven't been in there for years.

I did take some older TVs down there for recycling when we moved out to Oregon. A service they used to do for free cost me $75. I would have taken them to an electronics recycling drop put on by our county if I had known what they were up to.

HH Gregg was always really weak in Wisconsin, I think they closed all their stores. I had never set foot in them either.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Next time read your receipt. That's not just for Best Buy, it's for anything where there is a possibility that you may return it. Two week return policy for electronics has been in place for many years for them and I think for most retailers these days.

I know that sounds harsh but it's just smart shopping. Been burned a few times myself but that was on me for not checking the policy in advance.

audiomixer and Galley like this.
  8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Costco has a 90-day return window for most electronics. Granted, their selection is more limited than other electronics retailers and frequently changes, but I've gotten in the habit of checking there first when I'm in the market for electronics-related items. I bought my current TV and two different Rokus there.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You know why their return policy is so narrow now? It's because it was heavily abused by scammers. Talk to anyone who has ever worked the returns counter at a retail store. Work returns for a week, and you will understand that the world is filled with people who have no conscience and are willing to basically steal from stores any way they can.

It's the same reason stores like Costco have tightened their return policies on electronics.

Don't blame BestBuy. Blame all the gonifs who ruin it for all of us

ggergm and Galley like this.
  10. Most ROKU hardware is flaky. My impression is that they have more DOA units than most consumer electronics.

Steve Simm likes this.
  11. What scam was perpetuated by someone returning something on, say, day 18 vs. day 15?

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's not that scam, per se. It's just that as more people game the system, they clamp down harder on returns.

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Maybe two decades ago Best Buy stopped taking returns on big screen TVs for a couple of weeks after the Super Bowl. People would buy a big screen for a party with no intention of keeping it. They'd return it afterward. Maybe Best Buy has changed their policy since then but I thought this was a smart move against customers who thought returns were a game.

14. So if you legitimately bought a tv near the time of the Super Bowl, took it home and discovered it was genuinely defective you couldn’t return it?

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I didn't work for Best Buy. I owned a competing store across the street. You'd have to ask them. But I think if the big screen was defective, that would be a strong mitigating circumstance. They were simply trying to keep people who abused their return policy from having a free big screen TV for the Super Bowl, back when big screens were expensive, large, heavy and rare.

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

they all more or less suck.

BestBuy went all in with their TVs a few years ago and support for almost anything else is negligible.

They're OK if you want a TV.

Altho certainly there are better stores for that, too.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

What kind of waranty does Roku give you? If they are like other companies they may pay for return shipping and they can send you a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.