Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha, no I invited his son; Jeffrey was invited long ago to no avail and I think I agree with you, I'm glad he didn't bite so he can spend more time mastering GD.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

bzfgt, trd, adamos and 9 others like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I tried playing the bass at one point in my life. It's best that I stick to banging on my congas. :nyah:

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have picked up the bass from time to time, but everyone is usually better off if I stick to the guitar.

5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

so whats DP26?

bmoregnr and Dahabenzapple like this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Am I the only one slightly worried about the bolded part? I'm assuming that he was pleased enough with the results on DaP24 that he decided to use the "ultra-bass" effect to enhance the low end on DaP25. I'm not too happy about this. Seriously, with those of you familiar with the circulating tape of 11/6/77, is the bass anemic? Did it really need this odd processing to give it more ummph? I'm listening to the stream off of the archive right now and the bass sounds fine to me. "A bass problem" - really? It needed "altering" as he put it?

bmoregnr, Dahabenzapple and US Blues like this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yes. Enjoy DaP 24 now instead of being worried about something that hasn't come out yet.

ScramMan2, trd and budwhite like this.
  8. notesofachord

Majority rules and all that. Most people want more deep, rumbling punch from the bass, even if it's not on the tape and has to be created through processing. Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.

I think Mr. Norman has done a fantastic job with the mastering of our favorite band's music. I look forward to each new release. However, there is something odd in the bass sound on this newest release that bothers me and at least a few others here. If our complaints and displeasure will influence him to not use similar techniques on future releases then I'm all for complaining.

Sorry if it upsets the peaceful buzz and bliss of the community here, but it is what it is. Hey - I get it. Most people don't want to log in after a long day at work to a thread about music and a band that they love and hear anything negative. Yep, a bummer. That's what The Grateful Thread is for. This thread is specifically about the 2017 Dave's Picks and some of us don't like the sound on DaP24.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Cassius, Archtop, martinb4 and 2 others like this.
  9. If you were a true obsessive, you would be thrilled to have 2 different versions of the show to listen to and compare ;)

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Being obsessive I'd note that the "circulating source" (as we call ROIO's, Recordings of Indeterminate Origin, aka. bootlegs) is incomplete.

I was listening to 25 Aug 1972 in the truck yesterday and I could hear the bass boost come on-line during Beat It On Down The Line. In the truck I can turn down the bass to minimize the impact, my home system does not have tone controls.

11. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

While the circulating 11/6 sounds good, I can’t say that I recall hearing much bass or low end in the mix. So I can see why Norman thinks it may need some boosting.

12. notesofachord

As long as it doesn't result in the strange octave doubling sound again, then I have no problem with that. Twist them EQ knobs away, but stay away from the new toy, whatever it may be.

13. ...and bring us some Summer '69 for the May 2018 Dave's Picks 26 :D

14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks for doing this @bmoregnr it’s really cool to get these responses. You’ve also done a great job of conveying the observations and feedback here in the spirit it’s intended.

15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Someone should also tell Jeffrey Norman that he shouldn't use any digital compression on the Dave's Picks or any other releases. Thankfully the HD Downloads have been compression free but no need to do that on the CD releases. Also there isn't an option for a HD Download of the Dave's Picks series.

saundr00 and bmoregnr like this.
  16. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Has he been asked why the last few years worth of GD HDCD releases are no longer encoded with the peak extension employed?

bmoregnr and nitsuj like this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha! He's no dummy so don't ask me.

I got so close to editing that line out you would not believe; I am sensitive to the pre-judging comments that were made earlier in the thread and certainly knew this would be noted. But a) whatever it is it's in the can, and b) maybe it is something different being a '77 Betty tape not needing so much, so we'll just have to wait and see. I hear what you are saying, but worried if one or two releases out of a growing list of hundreds and hundreds have something not exactly perfect, not too much; my read of his next line is ok I see this may not to be a viable solution moving forward, and so I think that is where the focus should be placed in the spirit of partnership.

Believe me I have, five times four different ways.

It is a really good question. I am laying low for a bit, but I'd be happy to bring this up maybe if there is some DaP25 or RFK '89 feedback to give.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  18. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Regarding 11-6-77, I'm personally ok with the bass being boosted there to give it more power. While the first half of 77 is often bass heavy, the second half of 77 through early 79 can be a bit bright. If Jeffrey found a way to balance that out by adding more low end that's fine with me. It's just a different way to hear the show. There's always the Charlie Miller mastered tape out there if people want something different. Looking forward to that and whatever is in store for #26 as well!

19. trd

trd Forum Resident

Well now this is just fantastic

20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Thanks @bmoregnr for being such a thoughtful ambassador. I appreciate you reaching out to J-Norm and sharing his thoughts.

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, nicely done.
    And big thanks to Norman for being so forthcoming

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

No problems here if Phil needs to gets a B12 shot if Dr. Norman PhD demands.
    DaP 24 sounds killer to these ears. No complaints.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Why is the HDCD logo on the packaging if it's not being employed? That's just nutty if so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.