May I show-off my new website, for those who know (and know of) me? Audio Note at The Audio Home..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Warren I really like the changes you made. I like the font you're using and the way you did the slide show pictures. I also like the annotations of what gear is in the pictures and available to demo. Your home is quite beautiful as well.

SandAndGlass and Warren Jarrett like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's not his home, that's his AUDIO home! He doesn't live there, he hangs out there. Every room is dedicated to audio, records and tapes. It's a neat house, on a little lake. You get to hear what Audio Note stereo gear sounds like in a real house with real rooms, not a store.

Go visit, it's truly musical fun.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

So...what kind of beer? :D

Manimal, beowulf and Erik Tracy like this.
  4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Nice store, Warren. I've always thought one of the biggest flaws in most stereo sales is that the gear never sounds the same at home as it does in the store. It generally sounds better in a home. You've overcome that flaw. Congratulations.

Do you do any whole house audio systems? Having the gear displayed in a home environment would also overcome a standard objection to selling them through a store.

5. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

I happen to like XX (Dos Equis) and TsingTao, so that is what I have now. I think I have some German pilsner beer too. If you like IPA craft beer, you will have to BYOB.

But it mostly just sits there, because I usually drink a little scotch or cognac when I am listening late at night.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Manimal, bhazen and pdenny like this.
  6. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That's very laudable :righton: I hope things (continue to) work for you this way.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

What kind of scotch? :D

8. Warren Jarrett

I had to check my cabinet and write everything down before answering. But a little disclaimer first, lest anyone think I am an alcoholic (like my best audiophile friend who died from mixing prescriptions, recreational drugs, and alcohol).

I drink 3 or 4 small glasses of alcohol a week. I like the taste of fine liquor, but hate the aftermath of getting even slightly drunk. I haven't had more than 2 drinks in one night for decades. Some of my bottles have been slowly consumed for more than 20 years. I just bought a new Glenlivet 18 (about $80) last week, to do an A/B comparison with the Glenlivet 18 bottle I've had for 25 years. The result: it tasted exactly the same, the old one has a slightly more harsh alcoholic burn, but VERY slightly.

So now in my cabinet is:
    Scotch - Johnny Walker Blue Label (my smokey standard, but it's $150 a bottle), Glenlivet 18 (my single-malt standard, 2 bottles), Glenmorangie 18, Balvenie Double Wood 12, Sheildaig 18, Glenfiddich 15, Grangestone 21 (none of these, except the Blue, are all that great)
    Gin - Bombay Sapphire, Uncle Val's (delicious, highly recommended)
    Tequila - Don Julio 1942 ("wow" good), Correlejo Anejo, Herradura Reposado De La Familia, Herradura Anejo, Tres Generationes Anejo (all of these are very good to sip, not to "shoot")
    Cognac - Remy-Martin 1738, Courvoisier XO, Hennessy Napoleon (an infinitesimal portion of this blend is guaranteed to date from Napoleon's lifetime)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. Steve Hoffman

I haven't had a drink in 40 years but I like to smell good liquor.

10. Warren Jarrett

I'm not THAT dry.

Manimal, bhazen and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

That's a nice selection of scotch!

I do like the Balvenie Double Wood! That's a v. good value.

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Might I suggest two additions to your cabinet?

Casa Noble Anejo
    The Macallan 18

13. Warren Jarrett

Only if you come visit, when you're in LA, and have some with me.

snkcube, FashionBoy, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Must be thirsty.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh - I see. Thanks for explaining.

16. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Very nice page Warren. 2 Things you can do....1) Set up another home on the East Coast in the NY/PA/NJ area so I can visit...and spend $$. 2) Do what Audio Note fails to do and that is make a comprehensive list of whats available from them with descriptions, list prices etc. As somebody who actually has AN Products (Jinro, AN-E SPX) I find it VERY frustrating how hard it is to find information about what is available. Every once in awhile I have to pester Richard Austen with A/N questions and I really shouldn't have to do that...nor should anybody else. Don't know what AN's problem is in this regard but somebody should address it. There is a dealer in MASS I think that has a site with some literature available that describes each level of Audio Note and the sound differences as you go up the ladder...but that hasn't been updated in Eons and its also incomplete. Just something to think about. Congrats again on your fine page!!

17. Warren Jarrett

It is true that people call me from all over the USA to ask the price for a particular AN product, because the prices are not published anywhere for the public to see. And, there is no website, not even AN's own, that provides a comprehensive list of every product AN has to offer. There are two reasons for this: 1) Audio Note wants the public to call its dealers, so that we can clarify that every product is available in more-than-one level of internal parts quality, which provides a range of price and sound for each individual product. 2) Audio Note provides such a gigantic variety of product offerings, including custom variations of products that they have never made before, each customer's needs (for price and performance) needs to be addressed individually. There is just no way to make one comprehensive list, with all descriptions, prices, levels within each product offering, and sound difference for each option.

For example, just the Oto integrated amplifier has 6 versions shown in my price list. So, when someone wants to know what an Oto will cost, there is a discussion necessary before an answer can be provided. Finally, one Oto that I sold (to a very happy customer) is a version that is not on the price list at all. He auditioned one Oto at home, bought another version of Oto, then decided the difference was so rewarding to him that he wanted more. He now has a custom Oto designed for him, incorporating the priorities he required, that he didn't realize he had until he listened and learned about the variations available. He just loves the final result, but it was a process, not a simple buy-off-the-shelf purchase.

Another example is my absolute favorite product that Audio Note makes, the AN/E speaker. There are 14 variations of this model in my price list. There are also sub-variations that can be custom implemented into this product, plus cabinet color, cabinet finish texture, and stand color. No other manufacturer offers such a large variety of price and performance options, for a single product. They all choose some set of compromises, in the interest of buying simplicity and production convenience, hope everyone will simply love it that way, and provide an off-the-shelf product. That is a lot easier, but it is not AN's way.

So it is indeed complicated to decide which Audio Note product fulfills each buyer's price and performance desires. Audio Note doesn't make just one "compromise" product, hoping everyone accepts it that single way. Audio Note wants each buyer and dealer to discuss the best compromises (or lack of ANY compromise) that is appropriate for each customer's budget and sound goal.

One final example to share with you is regarding Steve Hoffman's full Audio Note UK system. Within his set of AN components, he only has two that are absolutely no-compromise products, his step-up transformer and his amplifier. Everything else was designed and offered by Audio Note to be "compromised", at prices and sound levels that are not absolutely as high as AN is capable of providing. Yet, together, the system is astonishingly wonderful to hear, in Steve's opinion and mine. This is just two people's opinion, not for everyone. BY FAR, not for everyone.

Shiver and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

I appreciate your thoughts, as always. I will remind you that I have an AN UK M9, their best phono preamp (the M10 is line only) and I use Sootto, their best wire. So that's 3 1/2 no-compromise products.

Still, I'm with the majority, I want to not be bewildered when I investigate AN UK on line. I guess that is the way they want it. It is intimidating though and I'm not sure that something can be labeled "no-compromise" one day and then there is news of an upgrade the next day. All companies are guilty of this. It's this "space race" mentality that I dislike about our hobby.

oregonalex, SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  19. Billion$Baby

I have heard these "reasons" before. The fact remains there should be a basic/generic list of the types of Amps available using certain tube types. I remember asking Mr Austen about Amps using 211, 2A3, 300B etc and he rolled off names like EMPRESS, PALADIN and others that I never saw on any list or any AN dealers site. I sincerely believe the lack of the most basic information of product availability is why A/N is not as popular or well known as other audio manufacturers. I don't think I have ever seen a A/N Advertisement in any of the industry mags that are out there UNLESS the Add was from a A/N dealer....and surprisingly the only guy that use to do that (In NYC) is out of business now. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews on any of their amps either. Is that because AN doesnt make their Amps available?

So basically unless you have a AN dealer in close proximity that has product you can listen to in person your SOL and have very few people that you can ask due to the lack of consumers that have heard the product before or own it.

Joe Spivey and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Me too!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Warren Jarrett

I appreciate your comments and note the inconvenience. I can answer you that, in view of this inconvenience, I welcome any phone call or message with questions, and am never "bugged" by requests for pricing or model explanation.

22. Steve Hoffman

Audio Note UK is a British company that makes outstanding state of the art audio products using valves. The reason that they do not advertise is that they do not have to. Word of mouth seems to be enough. The waiting list is a year or more for most of their items. This is special audio that is not mass-produced but meticulously hand-crafted and unique in our Audiophile world. I just wish there was a reference catalog of their gear but it would swiftly be out of date anyway. They are constantly changing and improving everything. Bewildering but fun.

23. Warren Jarrett

Hmmm... well then... we've covered a lot of ground in this thread, it seems.

Would anyone like to know the price of an Io-1 cartridge?

Don Parkhurst and Richard Austen like this.
  24. Billion$Baby

I know. I purchased my JINRO because of your "review" on this page as well as comments made by Mr Austen about it. Otherwise I never would have heard of it :) I also bought my AN-E SPX Al Nico's for the same reason.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Very nice! :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.