Pink Floyd whats next ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd fan 71, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I think the recent archive bonanza box/boxes are the last thing we will get.
    I'm OK with that.

2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

They're done creatively. Yes. But I'm hoping that "what's next" is two more giant box sets like the first one that's just been released last year.

footlooseman and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The Wall in 5.1 on SACD.
    That's all I want.
    After they did the Wish You Were Here SACD, James Guthrie said work was in progress on The Wall too.

4. A reunion featuring Colin Moulding and Robyn Hitchcock as Roger and Syd, respectively.

mando_dan and Tristero like this.
  5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I think it is:

Cinema version 1 (performances only)

Cinema version 2 (colour Dark Side studio footage added)

Directors Cut for DVD (version 2 with B/w Meddle studio footage «oysters» + new annoying CGI added)

Early Years edit (read somewhere that it is just cropped performances for widescreen).

Billy Infinity and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

The Wall and most especially The Final Cut in 5.1 please!

Sean, AlanDistro and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah okay, thanks. Cinema version 1 probably is the one we have on the 2003 DVD in the 'bonus material' section. The second cinema version must be the re-release for theatres in or after 1973.
    About the Early Years edit, I don't have the Obfusc/ation book but I guess it's the same widescreen version as on the 2003 DVD's main programme but re-edited, especially 'Echoes'.

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say within the next 5 years, you’ll start to see the whole remix thing, much like Sgt peppers.

coniferouspine likes this.
  9. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I just want unreleased/unknown songs to see the light of day. No tri-dimentional-or-what-have-you mix will ever top the time when I first fell in love with an album.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  10. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i think, sometimes, is just best to leave it as it is. enjoy it as a finished thing. sure we wish this or that band had more, but also something tidy about it being complete and done too.

Billy Infinity and formu_la like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

See Emily Pay!

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm not sure if they really did any work on that, did they? I do love the idea of them doing the themes for House Atreides and Magma making music for House Harkonnen!

In addition to an Animals immersion set, I would welcome a deluxe edition for A Saucerful of Secrets, including the mono mix, bonus tracks/alternate versions, the previous mixes of "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream", better sounding BBC sessions, etc. I'm not sure if all the tapes still exist for a surround mix, but a guy can only dream. . . (on his eider down, naturally). . .

Runicen likes this.
  13. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

My wish list:
    Roger's complete Pros and Cons demo
    Any 77 soundboard
    The Animals "extaction" stuff

That's it really. I don't have multichannel playback and don't really care really, never watch video anymore, and have little interest in the post-Waters years. If Endless River represents the apogee of the leftover, I'm out, way out.

14. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

My own personal view is there will be two further boxes similar to 'The Early Years'. Sensible titles would be 'The Waters Years' (1973 - 1983) and 'The Later Years' (post 1983). I think the large boxes, plus individual volumes for each year, will be how future Pink Floyd archive material will be released. The Immersion Sets from a few years ago were okay, DSOTM and WYWH were good, The Wall less so. Possible material to include in future box sets includes existing surround mixes on BluRay, the often discussed Animals and The Wall remixes, the Spare Bricks, Household Objects, and Big Spliff albums, AMLOR remix (either the stripped back one, or just a 5.1 of the existing multitrack recording), 5.1 mix and re-release of Delicate Sound of Thunder... The list goes on!

On a more selfish level, I certainly hope there are further box sets/archival releases as my interest in Pink Floyd begins where 'The Early Years' finished!

I agree completely. There's a limit to how many times you can remaster something before you will struggle to sell the new product. Catalogues like Pink Floyd, Queen, Yes, etc have all had at least 3 sets of CDs (originals in the 80s, 90s remaster, 2000s/2010s remasters). Each time the 2 track tapes are played they get further worn, plus they are ageing more each day (admittedly this affects some albums more thank others, in the case of Pink Floyd I believe The Wall tapes despite being 6 years newer are in much worse shape than Dark Side Of The Moon). Even with advances in A/D conversion, you will struggle to get more out of the same tapes. Remixing provides an opportunity to change/improve (delete as you prefer!) the sound much beyond what is possible with a remaster. Some remixes have been successful - Yes, King Crimson. Others such as Genesis and The Beatles have been much more controversial...

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have to disagree. "The Waters Years" is not a sensible title at all! Maybe for Roger, but certainly not for David, Nick, and Rick!

16. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Not a good title at all, maybe for the Final Cut only. "The Roger Waters Year"

17. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Fair points! Just to add I'm actually more of a Gilmour, Mason and Wright fan than I am of Waters, so this was not aimed as a swipe at their input during that particular period.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Finding new ways to cash in on their songs. Another Buick at the mall pt. 2.

19. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Actually, what I would really like to see is 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio versions of "The Wall", "Meddle" , "The Final Cut" and maybe "More", "Obscured by Clouds" with bonus material included. I'd like the see a Blu-Ray movie version of "The Wall" as well. The Roger Waters version of "The Wall" never did anything for me, I never made it past "Hey You" and now I doubt I will ever watch again knowing about the lip-syncing ....... A little off topic but I think it's great the Blu-Ray Audio is still clinging on to life ......

Matt S likes this.
  20. Vinny Savio

Vinny Savio Well-Known Member

My wishlist is like this:

• A box with the movie and the Earls Court show of The Wall both restored on Blu-ray, with vinyl for the The Wall live and another for the versions recorded and remixed for the movie. It could include "The Final Cut Video EP" in hi-def as well.
    • A box with new remixed version of Momentary Lapse Of Reason, with the new drums that Nick said he recorded, along with the movie Carrera Panamericana restored on Blu-ray and a bonus CD or Vinyl with the tracks for this movie.
    • A box for the tour of MLOR with the Delicate Sound Of Thunder on both vinyl and CD and the restored film on Blu-Ray, with the restored concert at Venice on Blu-Ray and CD/Vinyl.
    • A box for the P.U.L.S.E album with CD/Vinyl and the concert restored in Blu-Ray.
    All of these can come with bonus tracks and unreleased material.
    It is just a dream...

vitorbastos123, Runicen, Sean and 4 others like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Man I like your dream :)

Vinny Savio likes this.
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Just give me an Animals 5.1 Blu-ray Audio disc, and if possible a Live 1977 set. No more space hogging immersion boxes, I don't want anymore useless scarves/marbles/coasters. I'm past caring about The Wall in 5.1 because it seems clear it's not going to happen..

ODShowtime and Floyd47 like this.
  23. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I wouldnt say it wont happen as Roger loves The Wall and apparently the 5.1 is done just awaiting a release which will possibly be 2019 40th anniversary

vitorbastos123 and Floyd47 like this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

:laughup:
    It's been confirmed to me that there are soundboard recordings (recorded on a Nagra) for all of the In The Flesh 77 Tour shows.

I've also heard that anotger archival release is in the works but I have none of the specifics about this.

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, it would appear that Pink Floyd's future will revolve around archival releases.

Floyd47, Hattipper, Simon A and 14 others like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds promising. Thanks Ron!

rontoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.