Looking to get an excellent, lifelong system for under $5k (thinking VPI classic,

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ironclaw, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

looking at getting a used VPI Classic 1 and EAR 834 Deluxe. Are these good choices (they seem to be from forum research). What cartridge should I match with those? I have Epos M12i speakers and Grado 225e headphones. Should I upgrade the speakers given the above record player and phono preamp choices? Was trying to bypass the built-in phono preamp in a 90s Denon receiver (DRA-635R) for pre and power amplication. Would this Denon receiver be a weak link? What would potentially be a better preamp/power amp solution? Thanks much forum!

Preston likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

A lot of people knock VPI because there are so many upgrade paths, but you can get some nice deals too, and they do make good tables (I haven't had one, but as you say, they are very well regarded). There's a really nice used Classic 1 featured on USAM now, seller in SF CA, not sure where you are in Norcal, been there for awhile, $2000 with extras... VPI Classic 1 Turntable in Black Oak w/ Signature Stainless Center Clamp (Plus Optional Accessories)

So, have you had turntables before? What attracts you to the VPI? There's so many directions your audio journey could take, but yes, you will probably find the Denon receiver a bit limiting. You can burn through $5K pretty fast, though, especially if looking for components in the same class as the VPI Classic. It would make a nice table to build your system around, though :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. Ironclaw

Yes, I had the Technics SL-1200 for a number of years. And, have been using a not good Audio Technica for a couple years now, as I'm getting back into vinyl. And, have come to the realization that if I'm going to spend a few thousand on records a year, I should get a system that highlights them.

4. Ironclaw

VPI TT, especially Classic, seem to be sufficiently good that they are upgrade-proof (for me at least as I'm not anticipating getting into the 10k plus equipment level).

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Based on my experience with Epos, I agree that the receiver is limiting your speakers. Those M12is are great speakers, even by today's standards.

I was once in the market for a Classic 1. Someone advised that I look for an early version with the front-mounted motor. I ignored that advice, bought a later production table with the rear-mounted motor and was highly disappointed.

6. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Good gear lasts a long time, but nothing lasts a lifetime, unless you are already pretty old.

7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The thing to do is to listen to as many systems as you can before parting with your money.
    I ran a Linn for 20 years. A Garrard 401 for 10 years and i also use a Thorens TD150.
    They have different strengths and weaknesses. Anything with EAR in it will warm the cockles of your heart.
    Some turntables are reliable some are not. The old ones i run are reliable.
    I have no dealings with modern turntables.
    VPI are well regarded, so no problems there. Tube gear should be fine with Epos . I ran Epos 14,s with my Leak Stereo 20 for years.
    Icon Audio are worth checking out .
    Denon did a superb pre/power in the .90,s.
    Your budget is the stumbling block.
    However, with a new superb front end/ EAR phono stage your receiver will respond well to the superior signal
    Now being received,
    Its worth trying first.
    Of course you may want to upgrade
    To maintain the new system.
    When you have an idea about that save up and do the job to your satisfaction
    Buying used can be quite benificial.
    Good luck .

stay crunchy likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The VPI and the EAR don't electrically interact with each other. The key to the EAR working out for you will be what cartridge you use. Synergy is everything. Good luck. :)

9. Davey

So true, and if you can swing it, my advice is to get some Conrad-Johnson in your life. Especially the 1990s to early 2000s vintage. Tubes, big honking polypropylene and polystyrene and teflon film capacitors, simple circuits, and really nice remote volume controls on the preamps, but expensive. I've got a couple Premier pieces, 11A amp and 17LS2 preamp, and my audio life has never been better. They come around for good prices, you just have to know what you want, and be prepared to deal. I actually put together a really really nice $5000 system not too long ago, though there's been some changes since then, mainly that $2500 17LS2 preamp ... How much have you invested in your audio hardware?

stay crunchy, Steve G and enfield like this.
  10. Ironclaw

For sure I'll check those CJ preamps out. I haven't invested much in this system thus far, probably fifteen hundred, some of which went into a downed Marantz receiver that I forgot send back during the waranty period. Thanks for letting me know about that used TT.

What cartridges would pair well with an EAR?

11. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

He said unknowingly......:cool:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Dynavector 20x2 with EAR834p I highly recommend

IanL likes this.
  13. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

I've moved to a VPI Classic 2 from a Technics SL-1200 and I love it. I think the only thing I would consider upgrading to would be a VPI Prime Signature Rosewood or a restored Garrard 301/401.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The classic is tough to beat but the consensus is that the Prime gets it done. I think the classic looks better but the detached motor and 3D arm on the Prime is an upgrade.

With that said, if you have a max of 5k to spend, putting the savings from a Prime to a used classic towards a nice phonostage is going to be a better sounding system.

15. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

You could get one of those old Yamaha Preamps from the early to mid 80's with a good Phono stage. A lot of them had really good specs and the ability to optimize the output to the ohm load of your cartridge. I was personally considering something like a Yamaha C50. Should very flexible with whatever other components you choose.

Helom likes this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

"Lifelong" - ha! Famous (not) last words...:laugh::shake:

Bananas&blow and timind like this.
  17. Davey

Another option is to go with an integrated amp. Is the system just for audio, no home theater connections needed? Ayre Acoustics made a really nice 60W/120W integrated back in the early 2000s, the AX-7e. I think retail was around $3500, and just recently discontinued, but you can find them used for about half that (in fact, just checked and there is one listed on ebay right now for $1750)... Ayre AX-7e EVOLUTION stereo integrated amplifier | eBay

Ayre also makes some nice phono preamps, something to look out for. Their design philosophy is somewhat unique in the solid-state audio world, so there is a lot of synergy between their components. What is driving you to the EAR? It does have a good reputation, though some people feel it lacks in certain areas. I don't know what they go for on the used circuit, is that what you are looking for, a used model?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’d say after buying a classic I’ve had no desire to upgrade my table. For me, that is a very big statement.

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  19. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I've never listened to the EAR. When I bought my VPI Scoutmaster years ago, I asked VPI which cartridges they would recommend. At the time, they had recently done a listening shootout and a Dynavector (can't remember which model) and the Sumiko Blackbird were numbers one and two respectively. I had already done a lot of research and the Blackbird was in my price range and was at the top of my list, so I bought it. I love it. It has great dynamics, bass, "space" and low noise (i.e., a good "tracer" that doesn't accentuate record noise). It also has the output of a MM cartridge (~2.5 mV) which is beneficial in many systems. Good luck with your decision!

20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Man, if I were starting all over, I'd get:
    KEF LS50W ($2400)... this nets you the LS50s paired with Class D amps and a DAC w/ wireless connectivity
    MoFi Ultradeck w/ Ultratracker ($2000)... super high quality deck & cartridge from Allen Perkins at a compelling price
    Mofi UltraPhono stage ($500)... the ifi iPhono 2 would be another option here, but it makes sense to purchase the corresponding phono stage to go with the MoFi cartridge & deck
    Tidal subscription & Roon... the world of lossless music at your fingertips, streamed directly to the LS50Ws and controlled by Roon

All bases covered. Minimum of clutter. And, I would suspect, totally satisfying sound quality.

... in fact, maybe I will go do this.

21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'd go Classic all the way. Find a nice old Classic in great shape and be done with it. I have the older 2009 Classic and absolutely love it - no urge to upgrade.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed - I find no desire for the Prime. Doesn't do it for me.

weissja likes this.
  23. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Everything but the actual plinth is carried over to newer VPI tables to parts will be available for years to come.

Actually, more like decades.....

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I went a totally different direction for about that price ...VN150 with Ortofon bronze, Rogue Sphinx, and Pendragons. I enjoy it a ton.

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You might do a little research on the various mods for the EAR. It is a classic, but my impression- not based on listening to it- is that there is much that can be improved, if you are DIY capable, all the better. Once you've researched the mods, you might see if there are any available used.
    Turntables are a very personal choice- again, I would consider used if bought from an authorized dealer or reputable seller. If "lifelong" means a "final" never having to upgrade turntable, those tend to be expensive. A used SME is one possibility; I'm a big fan of Kuzma, but the bigger tables get into money. There is also the Platine Verdier, which is a very cool table. I tend to like high mass tables, but they are not the only way. I've seen refurbished SP-10 direct drives at fairly reasonable prices (I'd have to check, one colleague was selling one, complete with arm, but it may still exceed your budget).
    I throw these things out there just to get you thinking outside the box a little. I'll look up what my friend was asking for his refurbished SP-10 just to give you a reality check.
    PS: he wanted $3,500 for an SP-10 mk ii, plinthed, with stock power supply and custom power supply and SME 312S arm that he bought new- no cartridge. Pretty good deal- I've known the guy for a while. Don't know if he sold it- I sent him a note asking b/c the listing was old.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.