Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The Stones did something like it with the Stripped version of Tumbling Dice, which I hated!

vudicus likes this.
  2. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

The SHM cd remaster is effing horrible compared to the EMI version - louder and more distorted.

I guess this album is simply unsalvageable in terms of sound :(

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

As someone pointed out either earlier in this thread or another...

The best these tracks will probably ever sound was on the Greatest Hits disc
    Whitesnake - Greatest Hits

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Cooks420 like this.
  4. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

As always, thanks!!

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I think the mix on this deluxe is the best yet, wish it would have had a 5:1 mix though, the 5:1 mixes of the promo vids sound sublime!

6. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I like the original words to "straight for the heart"..."Love drives you crazy! Drives you insane!"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Also with Still of the Night you hear what they were originally going for during the breakdown in the middle which was more Zeppelin like (more guitars and less vocals). Sykes wasn't happy with the end result when he heard it as he was gone by the time the final mix was done.

8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Which is interesting because Sykes definitely wrote very similar musical interludes in certain Blue Murder tracks.

9. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Talking of more guitars, I love the guitar solo Sykes puts in the middle of the song on the live version from Screaming Blue Murder.

Probably my favourite version of the song.

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, I think he played it live how he thought it should've turned out.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Got to the remixes...

Still of the Night - it's too dry...some of those guitar parts and vocals need to be drenched in reverb.
    Is This Love - I like this more than the original mix!
    Give Me All Your Love - fantastic...brought up a lot of background vocals and guitar parts
    Here I Go Again - the anti-radio mix as they brought the guitars way up. I really liked this too.

12. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I got my Super Deluxe Box yesterday and listened to the 2017 remixes and Evolutions disks. I only listened to the 2017 remixes once but there seemed to be more separation and clarity with the vocals and the guitars in the 2017 remixes which provide a different listening experience. The Evolution demos disks was excellent. I really like how each song had different demos tracks mixed in, showing the transition in various stages the creative process of the songs.

Cooks420 and Curveboy like this.
  13. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Agree with everything here, especially bringing up the guitars in HIGA. I’m definitely hearing guitar parts I’ve never noticed before.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  14. Leigh Burne

Yeah, the remixes definitely sound clearer. They're interesting to hear, being able to pick out the different bits and pieces more easily, but I prefer the originals. At the end of the day, this album is very much a product of its time and the dated 80s sound is part of the fun!

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  15. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Played the demo disc first - that was interesting but I may play it again... maybe.
    Currently listening to the very LOUD 1987 remaster - ouch its awful... the vinyl sounded marginally better.

Why make it sooooooooo loud ?? The high frequencies on the heavier songs are painful :-(

Cooks420 likes this.
  16. WhoDaresWins

It seems these tracks were remixed for the 4 music video's on the dvd. It's too bad the entire album was not remixed in the same fashion. I would have preferred an entire album remixed than an overly compressed remaster.

Cooks420, johnny q and Curveboy like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I might have to pick this up just for the bonus content. In a Whitesnake mood so I’m playing Live At Donington 1990. The energy and musicianship is undeniable. A hell of a show.

Curveboy likes this.
  18. Leigh Burne

Talking of Whitesnake live, likewise I’ve been listening to Live... in the Shadow of the Blues today. Sound quality may not be the best and the choice of title is still pretty confusing, but the band really rips it up. “Bad Boys” seriously smokes on this album.

19. WhoDaresWins

If the box set is in your budget, it's worth it! I listened to the live cd tonight and it's great with soundboard quality.

Matthew Tate and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’m watching the price to see if it comes down. Is the remix as squashed as the main album?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. WhoDaresWins

I haven't listened to the main album yet mainly because of the early reviews posted here. I'm probably going to listen to it tomorrow. I bought this box for the bonus material as I have the original emi 1987 cd and don't see the need for a remaster. So far I am satisfied with this box set.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  22. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

No, two totally different animals. Curveboy posted earlier in this thread his opinions on the remixes, of which I concur.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. WhoDaresWins

I listened to Gimme All Your Love 2017 Remaster and the 2017 Remix, the Remaster sounds a bit louder. Has anyone posted the DR's for all these disks?

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Today I streamed the whole thing on Spotify and I have to say I loved it. I thought the remixes were really well done, and the live show was great to hear, really enjoyable.

Can anyone with the vinyl version comment on the sound? Someone on Facebook mentioned that the LP mastering sounded great, so I’m wondering if they used a separate source to cut the vinyl?

Cooks420 likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

PS - Just got Vandenberg's Moonkings II - haven't had a chance to listen to it but I did enjoy the first album.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Matthew Tate like this.