How would you rate "Let's Dance" (1983) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I find this album joyous and danceable. In fact I am gyrating around my living room right now to its eclectic and modern synthesis.
    Took Bowie a long time to make anything so entertaining again.

snowman872 likes this.
  2. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

What is considered the best way to go with the vinyl? An original or a reissue?

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love it although David hated it from what I read. Dance is just Bowie having some BIG 1980's fun. Dance will always be a fun listen. Co produced by Chics Nile Rogers Dance is a fine album capturing Bowies 80's sound.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a minty original, and it's great. The reissues are good as well, nice and quiet vinyl.

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

It certainly achived it's pupose in bringing Bowie a huge new audience with a "more friendly" version of the Thin White Duke for the masses. 50% of the album still sounds great. The real downside is SRV passing on doing the tour, which would have blown minds! I saw 3 of the shows I still think it's one of his best tours. Phenominal band, and really the first time Bowie performed a "Hits" type set list. His singing is so strong on these live shows.

Solace likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

David Bowie becomes a one-man Duran Duran! :D

Jimmy B. likes this.
  7. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Binni likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I just recently bought a Japan Black Triangle(CP35-3034) CD of 'Let's Dance' as figure the way Parlophone is headed with their Box Sets, I will be better off with this version of the CD(the first Post-RCA Bowie CD, so figured this was the best option). It cost $17 NM, so thought it was a good price.

Actually, a few months ago, also bought a WG CDP 7 46002 2 version of 'Let's Dance' so that should cover me, although will be interesting to see how the new version in the next Box Set/Individual Releases sound, since Parlophone had a few good CDs in the first 2 Box Sets.

I like how 'Ricochet' has a 'Peter Gabriel' sound to it. Wonder if Bowie was influenced by Peter Gabriel when creating that song. Guess we will never know. Really an interesting song though and nice little added variety to to this album-IMO. Just realized I made a Post on 'Ricochet' having a Peter Gabriel sound earlier in this thread, but that was 5 months ago. Maybe this thread is what inspired me to seek out the Japan Black Triangle and WG CDs for 'Let's Dance'.

'Criminal World' is a good song, but sounds a little similar to 'China Girl' to my ears. Just would have been better to me, if the longer version of 'Cat People' was on this album, although think I have it on the Ryko 'Singles' 2-CD Set-my first Bowie purchase, and the Sound & Vision Box Set..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Intersting, I've never made that connection. I can now also make a connection with the album's production, having delved into Chic's music recently. Nile Rodgers, very smart guy. Knows how to make a good, clean-sounding record. I like Let's Dance, side one is great, those are some good songs. Side two has moments but not as strong for me. I still prefer his 70's albums, by far. Let's Dance isn't one I listen to often.

Solace and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My first Bowie CD was 'Black Tie, White Noise', which was also produced by Nile Rodgers, and I loved the different types of songs on that album, and nice Morrissey Cover of 'I Know It is Going to Happen Someday'. Liked the Song with Trumpet Player Lester Bowie, and opening song, 'The Wedding'. Al B Sure was a nice Guest Vocal Addition on one song. I seemed to like the Bowie Albums with collaborations with Nile Rodgers & Brian Eno the most, except 'Station to Station' & 'Scary Monsters' being my favorite Bowie Albums(and still love the Glam-Rock Era).

bcaulf likes this.
  11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

the deluxe version is the way to go with black, i prefer that over things like lodger and hunky. think i will listen to that one now.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I like it a lot. Not as good as "Scary Monsters" (and a different Bowie, really) but I always think it's unfair when I see it lumped together with "Tonight" and "Never Let Me Down". I also like Side B, except for the last cut. I must be the only one to prefer album version of "Cat People" but SRV seals the deal for me!

seacliffe301 likes this.
  13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

As others have attested, I’ve recently discovered that Let’s Dance sounds great on vinyl. I’m far less dismissive of it than I once was.

14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

that dance cat rocks out! glad we have both version.

Galeans likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

After the first three singles/tracks, I don't think anything of the album.

16. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Pretty cool Bowie covering that. The Morrissey original of course was produced by Mick Ronson and has a short “Rock n roll suicide” riff near the end.

17. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Yeah, never is a very long long time. =(

18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Surely there's someone else in the world who likes the Shake It Remix?
    If you want Bowie to be danceable (I don't) that's the one. The words aren't any more stupidly inane than Modern Love, and yet everyone singles it out as a low point while Modern Love gets plaudits for being a great catchy pop tune.
    The bassline on Shake It is fantastic IMO. It's the only track from those sessions that I enjoy listening to.

snowman872 likes this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Wondering what to say but my eyes do the talking so well...

[​IMG]
    .... duck and I sway

20. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

The single was top of the charts when I was born. I couldn't have picked a better song, or a better artist, to start existing to!

Fun album, not sure its Bowie at his critical best, but I can't imagine not enjoying it!

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Only So, So.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A more friendly Halloween Jack in fact.

23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

link?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Solace likes this.
  24. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Let's Dance turns 35 today!

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

But they were crap. In the 90's Bowie was trying way to hard to undo the damage of his mid/late 80's albums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.