Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Yes, 4:3 and yes, cropped. It doesn't look particularly good quality I have to say. I'm not surprised there isn't a BD of it. It looks like a poor VHS, albeit substantially "cleaned up" compared to the boots.

2. That's interesting. I never knew that. Unless that's a typo?! ;)

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I can see your point-when it comes to me I have long ago given up the completist-ambition-or curse for that matter. The great thing with this box set is that it s so listenable. For instance-the Isle of Wight set available on the deluxe Self Portrait is good to have but in all honesty I rarely listen to it. The same can be said of one full CD with alternate/work in progress Like a Rolling Stone. But on this set there are lot s of stuff I know I will keep on listening to-because the music is so powerful. Also-even if the songs are duplicated not one version sounds like any other.
    So I tend to focus on what s there not what ain't there. When it comes to Dylan's sermons/raps I'm even grateful it s excluded-historical importance or not.

Johnny Todd and Flaming Torch like this.
  4. BCW

BCW New Member

We will see.

5. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I can't remember for certain, but I'm pretty sure when I saw it screened in a screening room at Sony, it was shown in 4:3. As it was shot on videotape, I am going to say there is a less than 0.000001% chance it was shot in widescreen with the top and bottom masked in-camera. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I'm sorry to hear they made the choice to crop.

6. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Is anyone else hearing what sounds like a change in source recording on Slow Train, disc 2, track 1? At approximately 0:45, when there’s a key change (I think) into the verse it sounds like some digital manipulation taking place, and the audio getting brighter.

dee likes this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I do still often play the Isle of Wight show. Still find it hard to believe we have it in such great quality. Yes this box is very listenable although I shall buy the high resolution download and make a couple of different chronological changes. Re the Rolling Stone disc I have to say I rarely play it. From this set Caribbean Wind would be the song that maybe you could do a disc of showing its journey which in terms of capturing the song's essence is one of failure I believe.

matt79rome89 likes this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

There's no key change, but I immediately noticed that the track goes from mono to stereo at that point. Not sure if the source changes or the live mix changes there.

SlimLee and dee like this.
  9. I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet how monophonic this set is. I had to swap several discs before I could even find a stereo track. I thought my gear was playing up!

10. gohill

gohill Senior Member

This is a bit of a weird question. Do Sony use a particular pressing plant for their CD's? Reason i am asking is my Arcam cd/amp occasionally will not play a cd. This is very occasional, only once in a blue moon, out of over 1000-2000 cd's i have. However the last 3 Dylan Bootleg boxed sets, Basement Tapes, The Cutting Edge and now this new one all have cd's in them that just will not read nor play or other ones that play then skip right at the end of the last song and keep whirring until i manually stop them. I exchanged a Cutting Edge set and got a replacement exactly the same. I can play them fine in my old Sony cd/minidisc player i still have in my hi-fi rack using my Arcam as only the amp, and they play in my laptop and car so it is definitely my Arcam cd player. It did this with my Elvis Costello Wise Up Ghost and a couple of Opera cd but everything else plays fine. Seems strange that these Dylan boxed sets seem to all have had issues in my player which normally is fine (with those rare exceptions i stated). Anyone else had issues in certain players specifically with these sets?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

On the first two discs I noticed lot s of monophonic recording-however not an issue for me-most of them sounds rather good anyway

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I enjoy the Isle of Wight as well. It s just not something I return to very often. Carribean wind certanely is one of the truly great but somehow lost Dylan songs. Agree that the different arrangements and lyrics are puzzling

13. I think it's your Arcam at fault there? I had a twitchy Krell CD/DVD player until quite recently and every now and again I would get a disc that it wouldn't like although no other gear had an issue with the same disc. I got rid of it eventually.

14. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

What tracks do you end up with after ripping the DVD audio?

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Er, when?

bobcat likes this.
  16. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

I did it separately for, full movie, sermons only, concert only, and extras.

17. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

I think the video quality of the DVD is actually very bad. It looks terrible on my 50" HDTV.

SteveM likes this.
  18. I agree. It looks pretty awful on my 50" Panasonic HDTV too! I was trying hard not to be too negative but I think it's a fair call otherwise. I think the film is pointless too whilst I'm at it. They should have just released Toronto uncut or let it lie. It doesn't bode well for future BS releases video content as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind the sermons between songs (although the novelty quickly fades) but there is no context or narration / voice-over. It's all quite haphazardly strung together and poorly edited. There is a fantastic documentary about this period on-line including interviews with many of the musicians, producers and fellow Christian converts of the period, including close friends of Dylan. I wish I could remember its name! It was about 2-3 hours long and very comprehensive. The film disc we got is borderline drinks coaster material.

mannys and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. BCW

BCW New Member

When the BOTTbox descends from heaven to gift us with its glory.

20. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

When you’re lost in the rain in Juarez
    And it’s Eastertime too
    And your gravity fails
    And negativity don’t pull you through
    Don’t put on any airs
    When you’re down on Rue Morgue Avenue
    They got some hungry women there
    And they really make a mess outta you

Man, you are becoming the sunshine of my life, I gotta say that.

Zeki and Bemagnus like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Actually the movie looked better than I expected but the camera angles are a bit weird with far to many in your face shot of Bob. Jim Keltner or Spooner Oldham are not visible at all. The best things are the parts when Bob does some movements that recembles dancing.

dormouse, Mr. Explorer and SteveM like this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I posted this in the "Jokerman" thread, but it would seem to be relevant here as well.

Today's Dylan Trivia Question (because it just occurred to me).

Dylan mentions the names (while not necessarily referencing the actual books) of all 5 books of the Torah in his song lyrics. Using just the top of your head (ok, the middle and bottom too) and not giving in to the temptation of Google or "Lyrics"), what are the 4 songs that contain the 5 mentions? Cheaters will be punished ... some day ... some how.

superstar19 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. BCW

BCW New Member

That's a great song you're quoting there, I agree.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

The comments so far suggest this box set will become a one that collects lots of dust in between plays.

The $16 CD set seems about right.

Bring on the Blood on the Tracks set!

25. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes it is definitely the player but there is something about these discs on the last 3 sets as well, that is uniquely causing it to happen with them. I can count on one hand the other cd's i happens with out of absolutely loads of cd's i have.