Paul Buckmaster R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star Thread Starter

It's going around on Facebook. Paul's work with Elton John and his arrangement for Nilsson's "Without You" is legendary. R.I.P.

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RIP Paul Buckmaster, very Sad news!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thank you for your great music Mr Buckmaster -
    Rest In Peace

Paul Buckmaster was the Orchestral/ String Arranger on some of my favorite songs:
    Nilsson's "Without You"
    Bowies's "Space Oddity"
    Elton's "Border Song" "Tiny Dancer" "Your Song" "Levon"
    Carly Simon's " You're So Vain"

...and one of the most grand and epic Rock songs:
    Rolling Stones "Moonlight Mile"

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

He was a genius! Madman Across The Water, "Levon," listen to it.

Also worked with Train on "Drops Of Jupiter" and made me like that song, and also won the Grammy for his arrangement on that tune. Not that I care about Grammys, really, but just read that on wikipedia.

Years ago I was out at a bar and "Drops Of Jupiter" came on, and I'd heard it before, and I kept thinking, "What''s going on with this song, why does it seem familiar?" I'm not sure how I found out that it was Paul Buckmaster, but he certainly had an imprimatur.

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

Cool, I didn't know he did "Space Oddity". A timeless arrangement that exists in it's own space and time.

wavethatflag and longdist01 like this.
  6. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Sad to hear this. I love all of his early Elton John stuff (I enjoy the ENTIRE Friends album). Bee Gees Odessa cello. And he was working with Miles Davis during an amazing period. I always felt he was underappreciated - he was a giant.

7. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Forum Resident

Paul worked on the orchestral arrangements for Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Madagascar and Prostitute for GN'R. RIP

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If that had been the only song Paul arranged, he'd still have been considered a master. His strings are the perfect addition to that track.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Very sad news. He was a great talent. RIP.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Urgh. I really loved his stuff. He was beyond brilliant. RIP to an amazing talent.

11. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

12. Man...the greats are dropping like flies. A brilliant orchestral arranger and occasional composer. I've always loved his string arrangements particularly on "Sixty Years On".

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I looked up who did the string arrangement when I heard the song on the radio because it was so great and saw it was Paul. RIP to a supremely talented musician.

longdist01 and wavethatflag like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Big loss. Not as well known to the public as the artists whose music he arranged, but arguably more important to many of those tracks than the name artists themselves.

RIP

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

He also made considerable contributions to several of Shawn Phillips' albums.
    I always appreciated his work, his arrangements always were sensitive to supporting the artist's vision.

16. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I couldn’t imagine early Elton without Paul. IMO his contributions on that stuff are just as important as Elton and Bernie’s. Just amazing stuff.

Hep Alien, jahndhi, TS582 and 5 others like this.
  17. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

As others have pointed out Paul Buckmaster's work on the early Elton John albums is very special. A sad day for music. RIP.

18. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

We were playing "The Thorns" one and only album in the store and at some point two guys come back to the counter to see what is playing. I hand over the case and get back to whatever useful nonsense I was engaged in, suddenly I hear "F-ck-r, I told you that was Buckmaster, pay up b-t-ch". Dude handed me the case back and walked away $20.00 richer. Amazing work with Elton and many others, hell I'll even listen to "Drops of Jupiter" for a little bit to hear the strings. R.I.P.

19. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Genius work with The Rolling Stones on Sticky Fingers
    Sway
    Moonlight Mile

He worked with an amazing array of artists from many genres, a very impressive discography.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Very sad news. He was an incredible talent who made a huge impact on some of rock and pop’s greatest songs. R.I.P.

21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

He's got a legacy that will live on! Rest in peace to a master. I'll spin some "Moonlight Mile" tonight in his honor.

22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

So many brilliant arrangements. He had an instantly recognizable style.

He did some arrangements on Leonard Cohen’s SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE. When the strings kick in on Avalanche you know it’s Buckmaster. Interestingly enough, he referred to some of the songs on Cohen’s album as unarrangable, but managed nonetheless.

Hep Alien and quicksrt like this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Gonna listen to Friends right now. I probably would not be into Elton John as much as I am without this man. RIP.

jeffd7030 likes this.
  24. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

I'm sorry to be "that guy," but is there a legitimate source for the news of his passing?

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just googled, and went to his website, and I see nothing about a death. I so hope this thread isn't a send-up. Not that I want him dead. I'm not on Facebook, which is where someone here saw it, allegedly.

brettster808 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.