Any Love For The 1999 Yellow Submarine Songtrack? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd Thread Starter

I've been focusing on the opening three Pepper tracks there, and comparing them to the 50th Anniversary remix. I had published a song by song comparison of the new Pepper to the original stereo in one of those lengthy Pepper threads and found it to be a 50/50 propisition. The heavily bounced remix tracks stood out, but the '67 stereo held it's own in other cases, particulary with LSD and Mr.Kite.

In the last few days I've been A/Bing rips of YSS and Pepper 50 in my car, playing YSS verion first, then the Pepper 50 version. Across the board, the following impressions apply:

1. Pepper 50 has an insane amount of bass that arguably defines the mix itself, almost hip hop-esque in intensity. Despite occasional moments of instrument clarity, SPLHCB is suffocating for air, just filling up the sound space with something constantly. In contrast the YSS version is full of air and dynamics. When the rhythm guitars start grinding they are big and sharp ans supported by the bass, rather than the other way around. Everything is crisp and clear. While the origonal mono still hangs tall at number 1 for pure emotional impact, the YSS is the most musically rewarding version in the pack.

2. The YSS WALHFMF and LSD follow in similar veins, unearthing clarity but also air to breath in, while still sending the missives home at crunch time when they really count. The 50 remix just feel monotonous in contrast.

In my opinion, YSS contains the best Pepper tracks available. Superior to Pepper 50, more space and clarity than the original stereo, and competitive with the original mono dynamics while still revealing much more detail in the tracks.

Yet here we are, generally expecting Giles Martin will bring his Pepper 50 approach to the White Album.

Oh, if only Getting Better and/or Good Morning Good Morning had been included on YSS. So much of the restoration magic would have already been revealed, and maybe we'd have had a much better template for how to remix.

Thoughts on YSS? Is it a sort of missing link / codex on how to properly remix the Beatles? Or do you have another opinion?

I personally think it's a gem that sparkles in many other places too, such as Baby You're A Rich Man, and a definitive It's All Too Much.

2. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Love it! Great new mixes!

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

The only Beatles record in any format I do not own, or wish to own.

I have original copies both mono and stereo of everything else they released.

PacificOceanBlue and Bingo Bongo like this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I like them , never had the time to compare with Pepper 50 but would say I found the pepper 50 5.1 disappointing.

peace and love✌Dave

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Remember that Giles' goal was to achieve to create a stereo version of the mono. That means he tried to make a full-sounding stereo mix that has the same punch as the mono mix. The YS Songtrack is a totally different beast. There are no goal to do anything other than to make it more clear.

I find many of the YS Songtrack mixes too thin sounding.
    Especially With A Little Help From My Friends and All You Need Is Love suffer.
    It's a case-by-case thing, but I prefer all the 50th remixes of Pepper tracks better than what's on YS Songtrack, with the possible exception of When I'm Sixty-Four.
    There ARE great remixes on the YS Songtrack, though.

Man at C&A and FJFP like this.
  7. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I like the mixes - I like the mastering as a product of its time - I'm glad I own it - and glad that I can own the original mix / masterings too

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I loved the Sgt. Pepper remix.

I enjoyed the Yellow Submarine Songtrack.

9. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I should dig this out and listen again. I remember at the time I was disappointed to hear It's All Too Much sounding cleaned up and weaker. But I am one of the few who love the original album so I was not excited by the idea of replacing it.

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Still the only source for a true stereo mix of the master take of Only A Northern Song. That alone makes YSS essential.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I liked the clarity of the YSS at the time and considered it ground breaking for hopefully a full Beatles catalogue remix. Over time I have come back to the original mixes and prefer them. I am not a fan of Giles Martin's remix of Pepper. I enjoyed the novelty of it at first but find it too bombastic even in LP form.

12. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

It contains my preferred stereo mix of Eleanor Rigby. I prefer the vocals in the center of the mix without the instrument isolation.

13. Lemon Curry

Yes! OANS did get triple play treatment from me the other day. Had been a while since hearing this excellent mix.

14. Somerset Scholar

I enjoyed this version too. I know that some forum members have complained about the vocals being out of phase?

15. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Out of sync, I believe is the error.

Perisphere and O Don Piano like this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Aaaaaaaahhhhh.....thanks!

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Like the YS soundtrack immensely. Even bought the vinyl. Cleaned it thoroughly and spun it. Glad I own both cd and vinyl of YS soundtrack.

18. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

PGT, I don't own the vinyl, only the cd, yet I totally agree: I love the 1999 YS Songtrack.

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I certainly wish that this was how the original soundtrack was released track wise.

20. Lemon Curry

I did a cursory search for similar threads, didn't find any. Sorry if I'm being duplicative. I did want to specifically explore the Pepper songs, though.

21. Lemon Curry

That vinyl is a bit of a rarity now.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Glad I got it a few years ago. I keep it stocked away. Burned the vinyl to cd to listen to it at will.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Gramps Tom likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

24. Lemon Curry

I was looking at this yesterday, but it must have been colored vinyl I saw that's getting the higher price. Heck, $25 for mint - I think I'm in!!

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I got this on cassette and the movie on VHS for my tenth birthday. It's not that bad a sampler of The Fab Four at their creative peaks. Still, I consider a variation and not a replacement.

Keith V likes this.