Beatles 1987 cd Packaging and Manufacture Questions in USA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I too will be guilty of going off-topic, but since YOU started it;)
    I happened to be in England the week the first four CDs were released. I was in various areas of London and Scotland visiting HMV stores where there were PILES of those boxed sets. Because I was working in radio in the U.S. I already had the CDs a week or so prior to their international release date, the boxes didn't seem like a good value to me and I didn't fancy trying to get it home on the plane. It was just another regrettable decision I made in my decades of collecting Beatles releases. I eventually got the rest of the HMV boxes and the Japan issues. I finally got that first black box at a record show where I paid way more than it was worth in a condition that might be described as "good."

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Reminds me of Camelot Music and Tower Records.

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I had a friend who was managing a Record Bar store and he pulled the CD's for me as they came out. Yes, they were in longboxes and "White" was 2 separate CD's in its own jewel case. And it was numbered.

RnRmf likes this.
  5. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Yes, that first HMV box set (Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Days Night, and Beatles For Sale) sold out rather quickly and it became quite a collector item. I believe at the end of it all that HMV did another box set with all of the albums.

forthlin likes this.
  6. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I wasn't sure if it warranted a new thread. I have the first issues of the 1987 Beatles CDs with the "made in W. Germany" labels. Are these "valuable," and are there any differences between them and the later ones made in the US?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  7. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

It was weird how they used the Capitol mono cover for Rubber Soul.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Seeing the pics of those longboxes...man, takes me right back to 1987 and buying my first Beatles albums at Mister Sound (which would become HMV in Canada about a year later...)

tootull likes this.
  9. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I don't believe they generally have any monetary value above any of the other standard pressings, but some people collect West German CDs and might be willing to pay a little more for them. That wouldn't be a big market, though. They're otherwise the same as the U.S. & Japanese pressings of the same titles.

10. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

The cd release of the Beatles albums in 1987 was what got me to finally accept the legitimacy of the cd format and that's when I bought a cd player.
    I kept my longboxes for 20 years or so and finally sold them on ebay. Still have the cd's.

11. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Early pressings of Help and Rubber Soul from Canada contain 1965 mixes instead of George Martin's 1987 remixes.
    Some of these were sold in the U.S. ( I have the Help)

All long boxes in '87.

I remember seeing many discs with Capitol JAX early, then Mastered By EMI Mfg later along with 464 - - catalog numbers either alone or with 7777 prefix (from barcode).

I have a Let It Be that reads EMI Swindon and Capitol Jax.

Dave S and c-eling like this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Longboxes

13. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you for visual evidence!

marklamb and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Some may have level shifts, but should all use the same mastering. People have been know to collect those old PDO silvers :)

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Does anyone remember seeing the 'stand-up' for the first four?
    I saw one at Record World, back in the day.

17. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Thanks for posting this. I've never seen those before. Here in the UK they were just sold in individual Jewel Cases, with the White Album in a big double case. That's how I bought mine anyhow. I remember my sister was going into town & I asked her to get me the first two albums, Please Please Me & With The Beatles.

She handed them to me & I hit the roof, "I don't want bloody mono" & I returned them to the shop the same day only to be told that the first four were only issued that way. So until the Capitol Box Sets came out on 04/06 & the 09 stereos I was Mr Angry!

pantofis, JosepZ and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I thought the first four were in Mono only?

Shaker Steve likes this.
  19. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

They were.

20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

And the mono Beatles For Sale (cd) sounded really bad. The others were good.

Bern

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

22. tootull

23. tootull

24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Spot on. Had a friend who was a manager at Record Bar. He would call me on release day of each set of discs. The Beatles community was really excited about this back in the day.

SecondHandNews likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Mine was numbered. Years later it acquired a blemish in the upper right...
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.