Pro-Ject VC-S mkII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echoplex, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pro-Ject has just released the mkII version of their vc-s cleaning machine. Lots of improvements have been made. Looks like it's time to get a new RCM!:D

I've been holding off on buying one of until they worked out some of the glitches: the suction wand felt strips have been known to come off, sticker labels for the motor/power controls were also coming off, the record clamp seals coming apart and/or clamp getting stuck to the spindle due to heat, and motor noise etc. And, the suction wand arm flange is made of plastic but with an internal metal sleeve inside to improve suction performance. Nice improvements...check out the video!

Pro-Ject VC-S MK II Record Cleaning Machine: Including a Number of Enhancements - The Audiophile Man

2. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I really like the platter less design of the Pro-Ject.

mktracy and Echoplex like this.
  3. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

I have the VC-S mki and just love it. The only problem with the felt pads on the vacuum tube coming loose, but if you clean the tube with some 91% alcohol the new pads stick and stay on fine. The VC-S is just a great RCM for the money.

Echoplex likes this.
  4. Echoplex

I do too.:D

The record clamp has just enough surface area to hold the record in place, while eliminating any chance of static buildup and/or cross contamination. A big plus! And, they’ve also updated the motor to a quieter build type, with the same bidirectional qualities.

My VPI 16.5 is nice, but it’s really loud and sometimes the cork mat gets static buildup causing more dust particles to cross contaminate a clean side.

The price point and the updates make the vc-s a real bargain!

mktracy likes this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

This would be my next RCM if my Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi happens to die out.

Cliff. Collings likes this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Do you guys rinse the records after applying the cleaning solution or just vacuum it off?

7. Echoplex

Yes, but I don't use Wash It cleaner.

I use the Audio Intelligent archivist 3-step cleaning system, with the last step using ultra-pure water as the final rinse. What a difference it makes!
    It's a little tedious mind you, compared to the Wash It cleaner, but on older records it does makes a difference.

mktracy likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I was thinking I'd use the mix I currently use (isopropyl/ilfotol/distilled water). Would you use one brush to move it around and then vacuum that and next step, spray with distilled water, move around with another brush and vacuum again?

9. Echoplex

Yes, exactly that. For each step, I use a separate brush dedicated for that step.

I use the mofi brushes and have each of them labeled 1-3 etc. Before each use I use a lint brush to remove dust before cleaning. Just monitor the usage on the brush pads and replace them accordingly.

FYI...Pro-ject has also upgraded the goats hair brush on the vc-s. It now has a plastic handle instead of a wood handle.

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks. When you say brush pads do you mean the vacuum pads?

Cliff. Collings likes this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve decided to invest in one of these. I’ve seen a few people mention they use a different vacuum arm for the rinse than for the cleaning solution. What’s the logic behind that?

12. Echoplex

I don't use a different vacuum arm with mine, but I do use separate MoFi brushes that apply the cleaning solution for each step.

The Audio Intelligent archivist bundle is a 3-step cleaning process, and it comes with the MoFi brushes from Music Direct.

mktracy and Porkpie like this.
  13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks. I make my own solution using this “recipe”:

LJC home recipe for record cleaning machines

Then I finish with a rinse in distilled water and air dry.

With the VC-S, how long do you leave your records before putting them in the sleeves to be sure they’re completely dry?

14. Echoplex

The VC-S has excellent suction, so I haven’t had any experiences thus far with damp records post cleaning cycle. It’s bone dry right after vacuuming, so whatever record I’m getting ready to listen to makes it way straight onto my turntable. I typically don’t clean several records at once...only the one selected to be played usually.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Porkpie likes this.
  15. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Should I use my money to purchase one of these or should I upgrade my Project P2 turntable, help, I can't decide.:help:

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Personally, I’d get the RCM (I bought mine today). You can buy best the best TT in the world but if you’re still playing dirty records on it you won’t get the best results.

ericsk59 and Sgt Pepper like this.
  17. Echoplex

Just wanted to include some helpful tips for those just getting to know their vc-s...

• The vc-s motor is fast and will take some getting used to.
    • You will more than likely need to adjust the height of the mini-platter to ensure optimal vacuum performance due to the variances in record thickness (80-200 grams). A 2.5 mm hexagonal key will work perfectly. Be sure to do this with the mini-platter off. I adjusted mine so that it sits at the very bottom of the spindle. So far, this has produced the best results for me. If the mini-platter height is too high, the vacuum arm will move during the vacuum cycle and will not sit flush in the recessed slot of the arm flange correctly. This ends up leaving trace amounts of cleaning solution left on the record.
    • Once the mini-platter height is adjusted correctly, I've found that about 3 rotations of vacuuming per side does the trick and gets the record completely dry.
    • Do not press onto the vacuum arm while the vacuum cycle is operational or you will damage your record due to the force applied. Let the vacuum arm and suction force do the work.
    • Practice with old/worn out records first.:D

I also bought the optional dust cover for my vc-s. It's hard plastic and it works ok. The hinges are so-so, but they're adequate enough. For those of you that don't want the plastic pegs from the dustcover rubbing onto the chassis, some small round black felts placed near the front corners should do the trick.

Leroyd and Porkpie like this.
  18. katylied

katylied Active Member

I did it anyway even if my NG 1.fFi was in very good health and with no regrets.

nosliw likes this.
  19. Sgt Pepper

Decided I am going to go for it. Probably be using my own home brew cleaner mix of Isopropyl Alcohol, Distilled Water and a few drops of dish washer wetting agent. Will this be OK with the VC-s?

Porkpie likes this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

did you have any problems adjusting the height of the flange? I've turning the screw with a hexagonal key but it just keeps going around and the flange doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong??

22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Fixed - it was my allen key that was worn - bought a new one and it worked fine so adjusted the height to the lowest setting

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just cleaned my first record. Only issue is that when I lift the vacuum arm there is a trace of fluid where the two pads were resting on the record and also some fluid remains on the deadwax. Is this a sign I'm applying too much liquid (about 2.5ml) and spreading it too far out?

24. Sgt Pepper

Porkpie, if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your VC-s?

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got mine on Ebay, £349.99.

I’ve got hooked on it and found that if I turn off the vacuum and leave it a couple seconds before lifting it as the record turns there are no streaks of liquid left on the record

Sgt Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.