Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

if that's Boulez conducting those songs for Soprano and Orchestra it doesn't get any better than that

Marzz and RiRiIII like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I prefer HVK. Reiner IIRC does some strange things with tempo on his recording.

bruce2 likes this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I also prefer the sound quality of the Karajan. My copy is an old London CD from the 80s and I prefer it to the Reiner on Living Stereo SACD. To be fair the Reiner recording is five years older and I believe one of the earliest stereo recordings.

4. Rose River Bear

I think you are correct. It is one of the earliest stereo recordings.

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Stanley Kubrick would agree with your preference for the Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic recording of Also Sprach Zarathustra. It's the one he used in the soundtrack for his film, 2001: A Space Odyssey. (The soundtrack album, however, used the Karl Böhm/Berlin Philharmonic recording.)

crispi likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I did not know that. Thanks. I suppose HvK would have asked higher royalties...

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The reason they didn’t use that recording for the soundtrack LP is because Decca was sort of embarrassed of being associated with a commercial film. That’s the story I heard. When the film became a big success, they changed their mind though and started using the “2001” publicity to their own advantage.

I think when that soundtrack eventually came out on CD, they used the Karajan version again.

My favourite recording is Karajan’s 1973 remake on DG, which is uncharacteristically detailed for a DG recording and beats both the Reiner and Karajan’s earlier Decca recording by several stratospheres, both in terms of interpretation and sound.

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Have you tried the recent Karajan/Strauss recordings 11-cd/Blu Ray Audio of the first 6 cds box? Now I am tempted to get it.

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I think this is the one that I have, though on my DG CD the recording date is listed as 1974.

crispi likes this.
  10. crispi

1974, right :) I was reciting from memory.

George P likes this.
  11. crispi

I haven’t heard the Blu-ray, but I would assume it’s the same transfer as the standalone 24/96 “studio master” hi-res download, and that one is the best I’ve heard this recording sound :) Better than the mid-90s “Originals” CD transfer.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

As a space nerd I like that Also Sprach has spawned so many space themed covers through the various recordings by different conductors/orchestras.

George P likes this.
  13. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying the another CD from the above box set. Once again, this is absolutely lovely playing and sound.

royzak2000 likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

I don't have a single CD featuring Angelich.

15. George P

If you are a fan of Rachmaninoff, I urge you to grab this CD.

And if you are a fan of Brahms, I also urge you grab the above 10 CD box set. It's under $18 new from amazon.

hvbias likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Wow that box is a bargain. I am going to order it. Thanks for the suggestion.

bruce2 likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Speaking of Rachmaninov I played Richter's Carnegie Hall Prelude Op.23 No.1 and Op.32 No.9, 10, 12 recently. Completely blown away by the performances. Ashkenazy was fresh in my mind, and IMHO it was quite a let down; just bland all around with little dynamics and tonal color.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

19. George P

Richter's Rachmaninoff is superb!

If you want some in much better sound, for under $10 new - https://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninov-Preludes-Etudes-Tableaux-Sergei/dp/B003CP1SRE

hvbias likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

21. George P

Yeah, I have that one too. It has the same performances. First issued on CD on Olympia, then Regis, then Alto - all the same performances.

22. Rose River Bear

23. George P

Yes, the set filled in a number of holes in my collection as well. I think you will really enjoy the set. I know over the years we almost always agree on classical music performances.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm home to check on this, these are also on the Eurodisc box. Some of those labels start to get a bit confusing with the number of times they changed name/transferred ownership :)

I'll play it afterwards to see if the Sony mastering is better.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    George P likes this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Igor Stravinsky – Petrouchka (1911), Le Chant du rossignol, Quatre etudes (London / Decca Records)
    — Armas Maiste, piano, James Chompson, cornet, Timothy Hutchins, flute, Robert Early, trumpet, Ellis Wean, tuba – Orchestre symphonique de Montreal – Charles Dutoit

[​IMG]

JohnnyZ and crispi like this.