Blue Note Subscription Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hgavinyl, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Interesting idea and not terribly overpriced for a limited set. I’d rather 2 LPs that are classic reissues and a 1 LP compilation rather than the reverse, plus I’m not sure how much value the designer scarf adds to the equation for me personally, but overall this series is something I’ll keep an eye on.

Simon A and Hgavinyl like this.
  3. Hgavinyl

I agree with 2 classic reissues and 1 comp of unreleased material. I'd be interested to see where this subscription goes from here.

4. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

It’s $200 a set. $400 a year. Do we know anything about these? Are they all analog? Just seems like a lot of useless fluff with scarves and Turntable mats nobody purchasing these sets would use on their turntable. Then there is the real estate equation when it comes to yet another box set.

I’m not saying no I won’t order but I have reservations. Much rather pay $50-$60 for a slimmed down Music Matters version.

mpayan and Tommyboy like this.
  5. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

$200?!:faint: Looks heavy on "lifestyle" and light on music for the price...

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, but it's soooooo Don Was!

[​IMG]

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I like the idea of the compilation, the content of the one they announced looks great!

Side A
    1. Lady Gabor (Live from Royce Hall) – Charles Lloyd & The Marvels

Charles Lloyd (flute), Bill Frisell (guitar), Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar), Reuben Rogers (bass), Eric Harland (drums)

2. Footprints – Dr. Lonnie Smith
    Dr. Lonnie Smith (Hammond B-3 organ), Jonathan Kreisberg (guitar), Johnathan Blake (drums), Joe Dyson (drums)

Side B
    1. Take Me To The Alley (Live From Blue Note Jazz at Sea) – Gregory Porter & Blue Note All-Stars

Gregory Porter (vocals), Keyon Harrold (trumpet), Lionel Loueke (guitar), Robert Glasper (piano), Derrick Hodge (bass), Kendrick Scott (drums)

2. Turnaround – Blue Note All-Stars
    Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet), Marcus Strickland (tenor saxophone), Lionel Loueke (guitar), Robert Glasper (piano), Derrick Hodge (bass), Kendrick Scott (drums)

Side C
    1. Memory of a Flame – Terence Blanchard

Terence Blanchard (trumpet), Brice Winston (tenor saxophone), Lionel Loueke (guitar), Aaron Parks (piano), Derrick Hodge (bass), Kendrick Scott (drums)

2. To Be Fair – Derrick Hodge
    Derrick Hodge (all instruments)

3. Daydream – Kandace Springs
    Kandace Springs (vocals, piano), Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet)

Side D
    1. Zero Gravity #913 – Wayne Shorter Quartet

Wayne Shorter (soprano saxophone), Danilo Perez (piano), John Patitucci (bass), Brian Blade (drums)

Likewise, the Blue Mitchell session from 1963 is a great choice for reissue,

Blue Mitchell (trumpet)
    Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone)
    Leo Wright (alto saxophone)
    Herbie Hancock (piano)
    Gene Taylor (bass)
    Roy Brooks (drums)
    Tracklist
    A1 Mamacita - Joe Henderson 5:46
    A2 Sweet And Lovely . Written-By – G. Arnheim*, H. Tobias* 7:45
    A3 Andrea Written-By – Roger Boykin 5:13
    B1 Step Lightly Written-By – Joe Henderson 8:33
    B2 Cry Me A River Written-By – A. Hamilton* 6:45
    B3 Bluesville . Written-By – S. Kyner*

...But agree, the other stuff is undesirable to me, and likely many audiophiles/blue note collectors
    just interested in the music on vinyl. I'll have to wait to see more info about the pressings and
    mastering if it comes available. It's a good sign the Blue Michell LP is described as

" The package is hand crafted and wrapped around chipboard, akin to the way albums were made back in the day.
    This cover was meticulously designed to feel right at home with the renowned Reid Miles-designed Blue Note classics."

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, e.s., dee and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hgavinyl

I think some would use the cork mat, but yeah I would like to see more music content for 200 moving forward. Music Matters pressings are phenomenal, did they press Step Lightly? I can't remember if they did or not.

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Discogs shows it was last reissued in the early 90s on LP in Japan by Toshiba.
    It was recorded in a session from 1963 was wasn't released by Liberty until the 80s.
    There are a number of these kind of LPs in the Analogue Productions/Music Matters series,
    but this title was never done.

Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly

dee and Hgavinyl like this.
  10. Hgavinyl

I decided to take a chance on it. I tend to like the extra stuff that comes with box sets that I know some people don't care for. Although I've never owned a scarf in my life except for my soccer team, maybe I'll find use for it. I do hope more music gets into future volumes.

DeRosa likes this.
  11. Hgavinyl

Ahh gotcha thanks! I'd love to see Music Matters take on a new series soon.

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's not happening, there are no more new titles coming from them.
    I think this new subscription series is one of the reasons the licence to other reissue companies wasn't renewed,
    Blue Note is going to do these themselves.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

A scroll through the Blue Note Facebook page has a reply that they're manufactured at RTI,
    which i would assume means plated and pressed. The mastering wasn't mentioned.

14. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I was excited about this, until I saw the price...

garrincha and Imagine70 like this.
  15. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I saw this earlier and looked to see if anyone had started a thread and/or had subscribed. Also, here's the Blue Note Review site if anyone would like to visit: Blue Note Review

Personally, the set is pretty far from what I'd look for, especially given the price, and I think the "Jazz is not a crime" mat is silly (and not even a good kind of silly). I do like the use of a recent and classic album, including some outtakes, as well as having vinyl and CD versions. I think the Wolfe photos are nice as well. However, I'd prefer having the full album of a new release rather than a compilation. And instead of tossing in a scarf and a mat imprinted with a borrowed and overused phrase, I'd prefer something like facsimiles of the original session notes and handwritten music, and for it to cost less. But no one's asking me to curate a collection, and Universal Music Group evidently understands its market.

AxiomAcoustics and Aura like this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's likely different (and maybe those) things will be included in future sets.

17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

18. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Too expensive, the right price would be $99.00. And I love this sort of thing. I bet the included 2 cd set with the rare tracks will be offered at retail at some point...I will wait.

AnalogJ, Imagine70 and Zach Johnson like this.
  19. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Possibly. But subscribing at $400 per year for two sets--beginning a sampler, a previously out of print release, and a few things I doubt anyone will use--is placing more faith in the company than I'm willing to grant. Others seem quite happy, though, and I'm sure will enjoy their sets.

20. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The Newvelle series is really great, the cost per LP is about the same as the Blue Note series, and you get an audiophile LP of current jazz musicians, beautiful covers, a box for each years series, and it is limited to 500 per year..very limited. I subscribe to Newvelle.

jlrchrds likes this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

They give 2-3 months notice before release, I suppose anyone could add or delete their subscription at anytime to just get a title they wanted,
    it's not really a subscription if they don't make you buy a number of titles.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Blue Note replied on Facebook "Vinyl was mastered from original master tapes and manufactured at RTI"

Follow up reply to determine if mastered from original master tapes means cut from reel or 24/192 file unanswered as of yet.

23. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I sent an email and asked if they were “all analog transfers.” They emailed back and asked that I clarify my question. Maybe I should not expect them to know that answer. Why would they know? It may even be information they never intend to release to the public. I get it. It’s just the customer service staff for online orders I guess. Probably just wait until someone like Michael Fremer finds out something.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It doesn't surprise me a person in customer service wouldn't know the answer,
    but the modern compilation will be digital, they for sure are not even recorded on tape.

I hope they did the right thing and had Kevin Gray cut the lacquers for the reissues,
    but it makes it slightly complicated marketing the "set" having to explain that "cut from tape"
    would only apply to the vintage titles.

I'm sure Don Was knows the difference, the issue is going to be do they care enough about
    this series to make the right choices? Hoping so.

25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

No response to the pointed follow up question -Are these cut directly from tapes or hires files.

Boom boom acka-lacka lacka boom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.