Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you have a link for that or can you send me in the right direction?

2. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

I remember something from Ozzy way back when commenting on how Zeppelin was the band at the time and it was natural that everyone wanted to be like them and looked forward to see what they would do next.

I was trying to see if I could find it online but found this instead:
    Geezer Butler: Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” Sounded Like a Led Zeppelin Rip-Off

ledsox and Paulette like this.
  3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

He did say he was never into Sabbath, so he probably wasn't following them at all.

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

How about that! Just what Burke Shelley said.

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

You should check this out, if you're not already all over it.....
    Black Sabbath Online Forums

6. Paulette

Thank you. I"m obviously not quite smart enough to have figured that one out. But with all the searching I've been doing, you think I would have come across more than one.
    Thanks for that though, I mean if you weren't being snarky, that is.

7. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

8. Paulette

9. Paulette

Thank you

squittolo likes this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Sabbath stole a lot of riffs from Bo Diddly and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

AlmostHeavenWV and Paulette like this.
  11. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Sorry to answer for someone else. I'm a huge Ozzy fan and Ozzy-era Sabbath fan and really get into some of the details.

The vocals on that album are overdubs in the studio. If you go to the Concert Vault website, they have legit downloads of live shows (not bootleg audience recordings but shows they obtained the rights to stream or download including King Biscuit) including the original untouched tracks to the two NYC Ritz shows they recorded for that album (don't know how they got that stuff). They also have other Ozzy and Sabbath shows.

Ozzy had a tough time those two nights so all of the vocals were redome and doubled in the studio they way Ozzy does a lot of his vocals for many (not all) solo and Sabbath studio tracks (he'll sing the same vocal on another track on the tape, matched as best as possible, to give it that particular fuller sound when both are together).

The two show downloads were cheap but there were some defects like some cuts and tape damage but it was very interesting to hear and Brad's tone is better. Ozzy did the same for the vocals on Tribute if you listen to the original radio broadcast of the first 11 songs which are from Cleveland OH 5-11-81, except the spliced in guitar solo from Montreal (King Biscuit show). Same for the Speak Of the Devil live DVD with Brad Gillis. The last two live tracks on Tribute are the best IMO- from 1980 with the original band and it sounds like "No Bone Movies" doesn't have overdubbed vocals. "Goodbye to Romance" does but still sounds great and sounds like it was done earlier - it has a very 1982 sound with the vocal overdubs.

Growing up, and for a long time, I loved the Speak of the Devil album. Once I heard the original mixes though, I put it away.

I also started to appreciate the magic of the original Sabbath members on the originals
    Just like the magic of the original 1980-early 1981 Blizzard of Ozz band (referring to the name the band, not the album title, although it includes that album and Diary of course) - Bob Dailsey covers that in his book which is a great read - I couldn't put it down.

It's hard to beat those rare kinds of chemistry. Take one element away and you lose it.

Still, I admire Brad Gillis' unique and melodic style. He put his own unique stamp on his interpretations, both on the album and the video.

Sorry, that's a very long answer to your question.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    realkilroy and Paulette like this.
    CusBlues likes this.
  13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Sorry...I forgot the smiley faces...I was being utterly silly.

Have a good day!

14. Paulette

I love it. Thank you. You just may have to answer more questions:)

CusBlues and sandimascharvel like this.
  15. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Talk Of The Devil's guitar work was revelatory, and brought some much needed freshness to some of those tired old songs. TOTD and the later Tribute, when compared to the stultifying Live Evil, were harsh reminders of how dull and old-fashioned Iommi's live playing had become.

16. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before.

CusBlues and Dave like this.
  17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

But that in no way confirms the notion that they 'stole' Zeppelin's style (as if THEY can claim purity of creation either - hah! That's rich)

CusBlues, GodShifter and Paulette like this.
  18. Paulette

I don't hear it but that was amazing!! I always wished I could sing like her.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dull and old fashioned ?? That's ridiculous. They're his compositions. He plays them how they were written. You want to hear Iommi up his game? Listen to the Dio or Martin stuff. The Ozzy material is played true to form. What do you want? Iommi playing "War Pigs" with his teeth? Maybe he should get out a drill?

20. Paulette

Only God can claim that!!

CusBlues likes this.
  21. Paulette

This regarding Rosetta Tharpe?

CusBlues and Vinyl Socks like this.
  22. LOL, thanks for clarifying - I am too serious sometimes! :)

CusBlues and Paulette like this.
  23. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Brad Gillis really added a lot of interesting and melodic nusances. Randy Rhoads did an unreal job of the 3 Sabbath numbers he did. His fills on soundboard tapes from 1982 on those songs are so incredible. Even some of the 1980-1981 fills he did were great, but 1982, wow. Such a shame no 1982 stuff with Randy was officially released. He hated playing those 3 Sabbath songs but he did such an amazing job.

Had Randy lived, Speak/Talk of the Devil was already planned for him to do. Randy initially refused and told Ozzy to get another guitarist to play the all Sabbath shows and live album, so Ozzy punched him in the face calling him ungrateful. Randy felt like they should be doing a live album of the solo material they worked so hard on. His playing and fills progressed a lot on the road. It soured their relationship but they made some amends and Randy agreed to do it but wanted out.

Many of those details are in Rudy Sarzo's book Off the Rails, another great read.

Imagine...Speak/Talk of the Devil with Randy Rhoads. Imagine one more studio album with him. Imagine what he would have done. He was amazing. Not to take anything away from the great job that Brad Gillis did.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, as usual, this thread has gone way off the OP, but that's how it goes.

I'll just say I'm not a big fan of reinterpretations of Gillis or Rhoads playing the classic Sabbath material; especially Gillis. It just doesn't have the right feel to me. Lastly, I seriously doubt that Ozzy punched Randy in the face, but in the state Ozzy was in back then I guess anything is possible. It just seems unlikely.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Randy Rhoads was amazing at many things, but playing Sabbath was not on the list.

IMO, his work on Sabbath tracks was "unreal" alright, just not in the way you think.

Awful beyond words. Overplaying, constant wanking, pinch harmonic fills between chords and notes to the point where he would sometimes come out of them out of sync. No clue about the rhythmic components to the songs. And of course it was all played with that shrill, upper mid boosted, lightweight tone of his. One of the worst of the era, IMO, and certainly unsuitable for the rich, harmonic depth of Iommi's work.

In fact, I forgive Brad Gillis a bit more, because I suspect he was given live tapes of how Rhoads had been playing Sabbath material and sort of followed on in that tradition. I believe he has since come out to confess that he didn't have the time to truly learn how to tackle Iommi's work.

Sorry, but that music didn't need and "updating" as you call it. It's still timeless to this day and yet you can go hear Zakk Wylde play it similar to how Rhoads approached it and it sounds horribly dated and awful.

Discipline. It's a good thing for many of us.

Paulette, ReadySteady, sad124 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.