Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Presumably Desire would also be part of the package.

2. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Yeah I guess they'd roll up Planet Waves too?

3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Yes, you'd pay mechanical royalties but that's it.

Percy Song and Sean Murdock like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's a quote about the Rundown archive in the intro to Heylin's new book: "In those two years, the body of work Dylan and his band captured at Rundown Studios, between tours (and albums), is in many ways more impressive than the one he and The Band managed from their 1967 country retreat. The breadth of material tackled, if presented in it's entirety, would certainly challenge that now available on the official "basement tapes" Bootleg Series."

The chapters he devotes to that era (and the chronology in the appendix) provide substantial evidence to back up this grand claim.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That would be practical (Pat Garrett, too). But my sense of the Bootleg Series is that they don't always make these choices based on this tidy sort of practicality. After all, it seems Another Self Portrait COULD very easily have scooped up the John Wesley Harding highlights. It didn't. It resulted in a rather annoying "gap" that seems unlikely to be filled anytime soon.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

And Carnegie Hall '65 while I'm at it?

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

IF they end up doing a Rundown set (and let's be clear, we've got no indication from the "source" that it's even under consideration), I'm absolutely fine if they "cheat" a bit with "Caribbean Wind." After reading Heylin's book, I'm more convinced than ever that an entire CD (at least) of "Caribbean Wind" versions would be a fantastic (if sometimes frustrating) listen, even if includes recordings from other studios. In fact, there are other Shot of Love outtakes I wouldn't mind squeezing onto such a set, even if they don't come from Rundown. But I might be getting greedy.

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but do you have an early copy of the new Heylin book? Or are you reading it as an ebook? I’ve read that the Kindle version has formatting issues.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The e-book. And I was the one who posted about the formatting problems! It's possible it's unique to my copy (but that would be odd). In any case, it only requires you left swipe to advance to the next page, instead of right swipe. Very manageable, but a bit annoying.

CBackley likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Interesting. I've been busy with work so I've only read the introduction. I read it on the e-reader on the Amazon web site rather than my Kindle, where it appeared "normal". I will try to remember to fire it up on the Kindle when I get home to see if I have the same issue.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My version is being read via the Kindle app on my iPad. That might, or might not, make the difference. I don't know if this is common. None of my other Kindle books do this, but I usually just go thru Apple's iBooks. In this instance, it wasn't available from them.

RayS likes this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks! I just saw the reviews on Amazon, where the Kindle formatting errors are mentioned by a few people.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's comforting, weirdly.

CBackley likes this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get this book! The books that come with BS13 are nice, but I need the whole thing!
    Hopefully the omission of the more "secular" Shot Of Love songs from BS13 means that they will eventually do a "1980s" Bootleg Series box, in some form. Personally, I would lump the Rundown stuff with Street Legal and the 1978 tour -- although, if Heylin isn't exaggerating, it may well warrant its own set, like the Witmark Demos or the Basement Tapes. The Dylan "source" has already floated the idea of an Infidels box, but I don't think they'd do that exclusively -- but given how the Bootleg Series sets keep getting bigger and more expansive, I could see an 8-CD "Secular" Shot of Love / Infidels / Empire / KOL / Groove set that also includes some live stuff. Maybe a Collector's Edition of this would include ALL the Infidels sessions, if they are that worthy of release.

EDIT: For more of my Bootleg Series fever dreams, see THIS post.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I contacted customer service, and spent a very annoying hour explaining the same thing over and over again. I got refunded, but I lost the book on my devise. Couldn't they just say that up front? Amazon customer service is abominable (at least by phone).

16. bem

bem Forum Resident

I would be all over this set

The Bard likes this.
  17. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

And hopefully there's a soundboard of "Abandoned Love" live at The Other End somewhere! :)

vitorbastos123 and RockRoom like this.
  18. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

As great as that would be, I can’t imagine they were taping from the board that night given that it was a Ramblin’ Jack show that Dylan decided to sit in on (possibly spur of the moment). But we can hope!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I know, but we might be surprised.

DeeThomaz and leefarber like this.
  20. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Just my 2 cents on the whole JWH copyright releases. Even if something nefarious hits the streets Jan 1st I don't think they're leaving much money on the table. Honestly if the sessions were released "unofficially" I wouldn't pick up a copy - maybe listen to a few tracks on YouTube. If after that Sony released something "official" I'd be sure to pick it up.

Maybe I'm in the minority... Maybe I'm crazy... I think a lot of folks would do the same or would end up buying both.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Sean Murdock

Personally, the JWH sessions are the great white whale of Bob's vault, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boot of them, especially if the sound was good. Of course, loyal fan that I am, if Sony released the exact same thing a week later, I'd buy that too!

22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It is under consideration now I'd say. These tapes weren't documented well until the last few years. Somebody 'in the know' as little as 18 months ago, had wrongly attributed some audio to 1980's Rundown, so while these tapes were 'known about' the first indication of an attempt to document them and find out exactly what's on them in any way appears to have been undertaken more recently as indicated in Heylin's book. Additionally, it wasn't really known whether it would be viable to release stuff sourced from cassette tapes in preference to multitracks. Occasionally a cassette source would sneak into a Dylan archive release, but it's only recently we're seeing some of the Basement Tape stuff from cassettes and now a lot of the live stuff on the Trouble No More set being taken from cassette tapes. It opens up the possibility for a lot more to be released in the future as there's a lot of cassette stuff, studio logs and so on, and lots and lots of live tapes from the 1980s on cassette tape. These might not make good full releases because of tape flips, bits missing and live mixing, etc...but you can certainly pull a lot of good stuff to a compilation in very decent sound quality at very little expense. I think Trouble No More is a bit of a further test of whether future live anthologies sourced from cassette tapes can make a decent release. I think the answer is yes. Same with the Rundown stuff - it would need to be edited, but it would make a fine release.

23. Sean Murdock

The mind boggles -- thanks for the insight!

DeeThomaz and SteveFff like this.
  24. duggan

duggan Senior Member

An 8 discer with:
    • Blackbushe
    • Charlotte 78
    • 2 discs of 78 Europe and US highlights
    • Rundown tour rehearsals
    • Street Legal piano sessions
    would be ideal.

25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

They don't exist. Sorry.

There were some Street Legal songs tried at Rundown and tape exists, but that's it.