Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Exactly the same size. Or at least that's my impression from my copy (haven't actually measured them).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thanks.

3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hi guys and gals........ (heh)

Well just ..... Holy Mother of Pearl!!

This box set is not just great -- it's outrageously great! It's smash-your-head-against-the-wall great. (But don't do that!)

I've listened to all of Toronto and Earl's Court -- I love both but I particularly love Toronto. Did you hear Bob's vocal gymnastics in Toronto's Precious Angel? WOW! Just lovely! I have to say, after Toronto's Saving Grace and What Can I Do for You I was near tears -- in the way Sinatra brings out all that deep deep emotion, Bob does the very same thing!! Love the speeded up Slow Train at Earl's Court!! And how is is that it took this long to issue (Toronto's) version on Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody and Cover Down Breakthrough. Those are "corkers" as we say!!

Love the live Caribbean Wind too - GOOD GOD!

Is Fred Tackett the greatest guitarist ever?!?!?!?

Maybe in a few days I'll have something more coherent to say!! Just amazed astonishment and wonder that it can be all this good!!

Mother of Pearl!

David

4. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

:laugh:

I am literally laughing out loud, during a break at work no less. Funnily enough, you just made me like the song even more!

I'm picturing the vicar as being played by a British actor with an exaggerated "cowboy" accent. DVD boxed set of seasons 1-6 ordered - all 36 episodes. :winkgrin:

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is that good.:)

6. DmitriKaramazov

Also have to say that "best of Toronto" is a very spiffy idea. I am somewhat familiar w/ Toronto from (uh) "existing" recordings, but WOW this is the best presentation ever! Of course they missed putting "Saved" in this set, but that's okay.

Toronto is my fave because I saw & heard Bob, for the first time, in Akron 1980, and I imagine it must have sounded similar to Toronto.

And.... yeah! "Girl from the North Country" on Earl's Court! WHOA!

Sean Murdock, DeeThomaz and Bemagnus like this.
  7. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

It’s a shame they didn’t use the Toronto show as the basis for the 2-disc live set.

poolie and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I agree, and there'd be plenty of scope for discussion surrounding the inclusions/omissions in such a small set. But I've a feeling Sony/Bob Inc still sees BS 1-3 as a promotion tool for the rest of the series. It has been re-issued yet again this year in a nifty CD bookset package - why do I fall for these things? - that's my third copy of it! I think you got the new vinyl pressing this year, didn't you? It may not be a "best of" but all these years after its initial release it still contains samples from each of the eras represented by the other volumes (Tell Tale Signs just scrapes in here) so still serves a purpose as a wonderful sampler. You'd almost think there was careful planning behind the very first Bootleg Series release! :)

If they do a "Best of..." I hope the selection is more inspired than the middle component in this publishing sampler which wasn't made available to us mortals. I'm sure it it would be...

Bob Dylan Publishing Sampler | Rare Cool Stuff Unltd.

Sean Murdock, Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

10. DmitriKaramazov

".... I don't care how rough the road is, show me where it starts....."

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Via Burning Shed by any chance? If so, do they pack it well?

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Much have been said about the great musicians Bob assembled during the Gospel-era. Ecspecially Fred Tacket and Jim Keltner and the great female gospel singers. Not so much about keyboard maverick Spooner Oldham. Imo his organ playing plays a big part in these great performances. Spooner is a real legend and one of my true musical heroes.As a part of Fame-studios he played on many classic hits by the likes of Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge(the organ on when a man Loves a woman) Wilson Picket and many more. He has with Dan Penn written more than a few classic songs.
    His organ is synonymoius with the classic Memphis sound. His organplaying adds ton to the soulfulness on Dylans gospel recordings. On the Toronto discs Spooners organ really shines.

bobcat, duggan, matt79rome89 and 8 others like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Anyone know what the clicks are throughout "When He Returns" on disc 5 (1st disc of Toronto Live)? They dont sound like shirt buttons hitting the keys or digital glitches. Any thoughts?

14. street legal

street legal Senior Member

With the exception of the "Slow Train Coming" LP, I can almost, ................... *almost* say that I could live with just this set
    and never listen to the studio LP's of "Saved" or "Shot of Love" ever again. Of course, there are a few songs like "Trouble" and
    "Heart of Mine" from the "Saved" LP that are not represented on the Deluxe Edition of "Trouble No More", however.

This is not (and this new set will not change my position) my favorite era of Dylan by any stretch, but all Dylan is good Dylan,
    and I am glad to have it. Originally, I was just going to go for the 2CD set (which is outrageous value for the $), but I especially wanted
    the material on discs 3 & 4, none of which is on the 2CD set.

I wouldn't say that I have any buyers' remorse, but this is a LOT of material, with multiple variations of many songs.
    It can seem like a little much at times, but I don't think this is the type of set that I'll be playing in its' entirety very often, anyway.
    The way it is laid out is pretty cool, actually: 1) a 2 disc live overview (discs 1&2), 2) a rehearsals/soundchecks/ unreleased tracks set
    (discs 3&4), 3) 2 discs of Toronto 1980 live (discs 5&6), & 4) 2 discs of London live (discs 7& 8) ............. plus the DVD.
    Any of those 4 sets could be pulled out individually for a listen on their own.

And for those complaining that it is overpriced, it really isn't that bad. I got mine from importcd's for a total of $118 including shipping.
    That works out to just a shade over $13 per disc ........... about the same price that you would pay for a single brand new CD or DVD.

Now if you just HAD to have that bonus San Diego 2CD show (I decided I could live without it), then yes, the price per disc goes up
    considerably.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes from Burning Shed who have always packed things ok in the past. I got the day wrong it is due tomorrow via Parcelforce (I like Royal Mail and Parcelforce it is easy to just go and get it if you are not in).
    Anyone know if this Bob set is doing well or not sales wise. A few Dylan fans I know are only bothering with the 2cd set. It is easy to forget how expensive these boxes are.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Percy Song likes this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm still without the set.

In the meantime, perhaps one last post from me.

I finished my Shot Of Love playlist. For what they are, I thoroughly enjoy all the available sessions from the album. Perhaps there is even a "lost album" buried there. Sure, a lot of the material is only passable, but bolster it up with Caribbean Wind and Don't Ever Take Yourself Away, and suddenly you have something that can go toe-to-toe with Knocked Out Loaded.

17. DeeThomaz

Basically, if I had to choose, I'd DEFINITELY take this 2CD live BS13 compilation over STC/Saved. I definitely prefer these performances.

Yorick and rogermcnally like this.
  18. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

As well as writing the theme tune and singing the theme tune, Bob could have played a cameo as the postman. Turns up every day with a large parcel which very much appears to be a set of step ladders. Just a rumour.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's not really an either / or situation for me. When I am in the mood to listen to Bob I may play the studio albums. Other times I may play the bootleg series releases. The great thing about the BS is the way we are getting an alternative version of his legacy.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. street legal

I very much like the studio LP of "Slow Train Coming". I always have.
    "Saved" on the other hand, is one of Bob's weakest studio LP's in my opinion.
    I don't know if I'd even rank "Under The Red Sky" or "Knocked Out Loaded" below it, to be honest.

One thing the "Trouble No More" set lacks is a good live version of "Heart Of Mine". That was a major exclusion, IMO.
    Even if they had included the take previously released on "Biograph", it should be on here.

Mr. H, Yorick, bluesbro and 4 others like this.
  21. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

Absolutely right about "Heart of Mine". To these ears it's another song from the period that falls into a large grey area of to what extent it's a 'religious' song. I'd say no more or less than "In the summertime" A decent studio version would have been nice too for those fantasy SOL playlists.

Yorick, Mr. D, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  22. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

As one of the weirdos who loves Under the Red Sky and Saved and likes Knocked Out Loaded, I have a feeling that we may have slightly different tastes as fans as Bob Dylan. :)

Now that you mention it, however, I am a little surprised that "Heart of Mine" isn't represented on the set in some form or other. I wouldn't have minded hearing an alternate studio take if one exists given how superior some of the other Shot of Love alternates are to their released counterparts. It's such a doggone catchy song.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  23. street legal

Well, as I said a few posts back, I feel that ALL Dylan is good Dylan, but *something* has to be at the bottom of the list, right?
    There are definitely some good tracks on "Red Sky" & "Loaded", but "Saved" is probably my least favorite Dylan studio LP.

24. DeeThomaz

Don't agree there. The Toronto recordings definitely possess superior sonics and I'm very glad to have them. But the '79 performances (which they relied upon disporporiately for the 2CD compilation) seem to have a strong edge over most of their later counterparts. In any case, we don't really have to choose.

RayS and brianvargo like this.
  25. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Gotcha, and you're correct, of course. For me, I suppose that the not-all-that-bad but not-all-that-good Down in the Groove would have to occupy that bottom slot by process of elimination.

mark ab likes this.