Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was my fave till I heard N.I.B.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BDC and Holy Diver like this.
  3. Paulette

I have to use foul language. Hope I don't get in trouble. I ****ing love this. Just wanna hug him.

Also, he just talks about how he was always using so mu h. But yes i heard him say no drugs at gigs. Marijuana maybe was an exception?

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

It's all good. I do enjoy listening to artists own interpretation of the music scene they came up in.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I don't know, Jason.

Pretty sure this was covered in the How Black Was Our Sabbath book by longtime roadies David Tangye and Graham Wright, or I recall reading it somewhere that they were definitely not believers in mixing drugs with concert performances. As I say, that also isn't to say it never happened.

Do they seem coked on DKRC?

GodShifter and Paulette like this.
  6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Again...I apologize for failing to put smiley faces in my original post; it was a bit of humor on my part.
    I suppose her Gibson SG is the only connection to Black Sabbath...

But...if you watched the video...you clearly see how incredibly amazing she was!! :agree:

Rose River Bear and Paulette like this.
  7. Vinyl Socks

Sabbath TOTALLY hit the stage high on multiple drugs, and Ozzy talks about that in the book, "I Am Ozzy".

Yikes, man...it was a nightly occurrence for them...definitely pot...probably increasing amounts of coke as their fortunes grew...to a point where Ozzy got fired from the band.

Yeah, they definitely got messed up before and probably during the show...certainly after each show...

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Thank you!!! ;-)

Paulette likes this.
  9. Paulette

I love Ozzy so much but I have heard my fair share of contradictions. Little stuff but eh

10. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Wow that's a great sounding show.

The Ozzy show with his voice cracking in "Over the Mountain " was from 1982 with Brad Gillis and broadcasted by NBC The Source and recorded in April in Memphis. The King Biscuit Flower Hour show was from 1981 before they started playing that song with Randy.

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Ok. I think I remember the 1981 Ozzy KBFH and I'm sure I taped it at the time also.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I bought that on vinyl when it came out. Good times. :cool:

sandimascharvel likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I definitely defer to your knowledge of Sabbath over mine, but there’s no way you can convince me the band weren’t heavily on substances at the Cal Jam and the Never Say Die video concert performance. I’m not going argue over something neither of us can prove, but a picture (or in this case, video imagery) says a thousand words to me.

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I recall seeing a show (can't recall where - I know that's not much help) where BS was recording Vol 4 (?) in the states, Los Angeles as I recall, and WB basically provided all the coke the guys could line up.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Vinyl Socks

I applaud Ozzy for getting super-high throughout the 70s and 80s...and 90s...and...up until recently...and...he's still alive and clearly has some powerful DNA going on...
    He's cool with me!

Paulette likes this.
  16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Bill in an interview this year talked about playing under the influence.
    Said in the early days he would limit himself to a few drinks during the day, then get pissed after the gig.
    He mentions playing on lsd, and "a lot of cocaine".
    Note his story about how they'd be dragging before the show, go out deliver a kick ass performance, then be dragging again once off the stage.
    Here's a short bit of the interview.

Bill Ward: 'I Found No Real Solutions or Real Enjoyment' Playing on LSD

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

For sure that's possible too ( that they watched the show ), & no-doubt it appeared at the theater as a feature at some point. There's been so many interviews with this question asked about this subject too over the years, & each band member seems to have a slightly different take on it. But it's pretty obvious what happened by your post !

From memory, I'm pretty sure that it was Geezer that had the "light-bulb-flash-above-his-head" moment in the naming...But Tony apparently led the way & made the connexion about "All these people paying good money to watch scary films...We should make scary music"...

For me it matters little. We have the music which is the most important thing. I'm sure that if the band was asked again tomorrow about this topic, they'd all possibly give a slightly different take on it. We can't forget about all the substances being used by all then,& nearly 50 years later to now. The mists of time would make things foggy indeed !

Cheers,

Gregster

California Couple likes this.
  18. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Black Sabbath

Paulette likes this.
  19. Paulette

No, I can't think of a live show I've seen where it seems like it. Ozzy never slurs, he makes sense, no one falls or stumbles.
    Drugs are powerful, though.
    I don't do drugs except alcohol but I have been drugged surreptitiously 3 times in my life. When someone put cocaine in my coffee (he told me later) I felt invincible. When I realized what happened I new I never wanted to feel that way again. Anyway, my point is they can make a person perform well. At least for a while.
    I just wish Ozzy had more love for himself. He was sexually abused. He says for a while by a few bullies at school or on his way home from. And with my intimate knowledge of this sort of thing, there's almost always revictimization. Hope this isn't too deep waters. Delete if needed. My point, which I suppose has several tangents, is Ozzy began his life 6 feet under. And I'm so hurt with the continual jabs and tired old jokes about him, ya know?
    Not actually directing this at you Tim. I think you may feel my sentiments. This just sort of came out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I don't recall where I read this, or heard it, but the song is about Bill. He was having a real wobbler with his wife, eventually getting a divorce. Geezer wrote it about Bill's situation. If this is true then it wouldn't surprise me if Bill told one of the other three how he was going through Changes..I think it was around the writing of Vol 4 when Bill met Mysti. My time table might be off about her, but I recall reading elsewhere that he wanted a trophy type wife. Mysti was quite the looker. Poor Bill. The saddest song in the catalog is about him. He gets his junk spray painted. He becomes so paranoid during recording that he thinks he's going to get kicked out b/c he can't do a take to complete Under The Sun. On top of it all, he comes down with a case of hepatitis after completing the Vol 4 tour cycle.

Paulette likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have seen many Sab shows but the first one I saw in 1971 was a killer. Out of the 7 times I saw them, that was the best. They were firing on all cylinders that night. Damn I am getting old.
    I did not know Ozzy was abused in the past. Terrible.

streetlegal and Paulette like this.
  22. Paulette

It seems as thouch Bill was kinda picked on?

23. Paulette

I know, right? It's a terrible thing to go through.

Where was the show in '71?

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Philadelphia Spectrum. Humble Pie and Alice Cooper opened for Sabbath.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Just a clarification, I believe that it was "Cornucopia" that was driving Bill mad. I think he said more recently that it was "Under The Sun", but I'm quite certain he just misspoke. He told that story to Steven Rosen and it was in Rosen's book over twenty years ago, and I suspect Bill had it right then. "Cornucopia" might be some of the trickiest drumming I've ever heard outside jazz, and apparently it drove him crazy trying to get it right. But he also stated that he "nailed it in the end". Which he most certainly did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.