Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've heard of Humble Pie but not familliar at all. Alice Cooper? Woah. He must have been ecstatic. Maybe thinking, I'm not worthy?

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You might know more about Ozzy than me, Paulette.

I do know where you're coming from but I think whenever someone becomes that big a megastar it can go with the territory. I'm not sure there are more than a handful of names in rock history that are more recognized, and I suspect they all have their "haters".

Some of it I feel Ozzy has brought on himself, and he might be the first to acknowledge that. But when people talk about how he speaks and moves or shakes and what not, I feel these people are either clueless about the fact that he has Parkin Syndrome (similar to Parkinson's Disease) or something just isn't right in their thinking. Ozzy suffers tremors, slurred speech, posture problems and whatever other ailments because of Parkin and yet he never says squat about it, he just keeps on going.

Greg(ory) and Paulette like this.
  3. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

How ironic that I grabbed the book off the shelf after I wrote that post. There are several minor errors in the book. It's possible that's one of them. It's also mentioned in the book that Cornucopia was Bonzo's favorite Sabbath song. I've read elsewhere that it was Supernaut. Like you said, it was written 20 years ago, and I'm sure the interviews are quite older. It'd be interesting if one of the Brums kept journal. If anyone did, it'd be Geezer. I wish he'd write a book.

4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Dave and Paulette like this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

A little...they did things like throw cakes at him, and light him on fire. Bill was lit up numerous times. They even nicknamed him Smelly.

Paulette likes this.
  6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I remembered the Rosen book having it as "Cornucopia" but I don't have the book any longer. Much better books have been written since, IMO.

7. Paulette

Holy moly. Intense. Never seriously watched a show of his. Heard some songs. Mostly know him from Wayne's World :oops:
    BS must have been really glad to have him. Thanks for that.

8. Paulette

Poor Bill baby. Ozzy baby is MY man but from what I've read and heard, I think Bill has a head start in the IQ department over them all.

9. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Bill is the most eloquent, but I suspect Geezer is probably the deepest thinker.

Crush Everything, Efus and Paulette like this.
  10. 131east23

Also, have you been to YouTube and seen the Black Sabbath 1974 California Jam performances. Pretty sure the whole set is available to watch song by song.

Dave, BDC and Paulette like this.
  11. Paulette

Not sure I know more about Oz than you...but I don't think I've ever seen him not own up to something. So, you're probably right, he would most likely say he's brought some of it on himself. I'll just have to single handedly knock all them haters down :cussing:

12. Paulette

Have I?? Holy moly, I watch at least one song from it twice a day or something REALLY creepy like that.

13. Paulette

Because of the lyrics?

14. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

As some have alluded to here, based on the totality of the evidence, Ozzy likely did not write the lyrics to "Black Sabbath." Though all the guys had a Catholic background, Geezer at the time was a practicing Catholic and considered being a priest. He also holds his (past) faith far more reverently than any of the other guys. The lyrics of "Black Sabbath," with its admonitions of Satan, reverence for God, etc., have his distinctive touch (see also "War Pigs," "After Forever," "Symptom of the Universe," etc.). Geezer also had a keen interest in science fiction. It's not surprising that, between these two major interests, Geezer wrote pretty much all the lyrics until Ronnie James Dio joined in 1980.

When Ozzy says he "wrote" something, it is likely either 1) he remembers incorrectly; 2) he means he told Geezer (or Daisley, etc.) what to write about and they put it to lyrics; or 3) he's referring to some lyrics being changed after the fact. I think one notable exception is "Who Are You?," which by all accounts he wrote with a synth and carries a distinctively different writer's voice. (Though I would still bet Geezer had a hand in it). This is not to take away from Ozzy's contributions more generally, which were some very important melodies, but he was not a lyricist or songwriter in the traditional sense. This topic has been covered elsewhere including here.

Crush Everything, Dave and Texastoyz like this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

For sure. And I think he's just that type of guy.

Interview from festival in Frankfurt, Germany June 21, 1970. I believe the band are asked by the interviewer about why they didn't participate in some anti-American demonstration. Politics aside as this isn't the place, note that a 20 year old Geezer already has a very clear understanding of what he believes and doesn't believe.

Paulette likes this.
  16. Complier

Complier Senior Member

God wrote "Black Sabbath" disguised as Satan on the sixth day.

17. 131east23

Not creepy. I think most of us have songs and performances that we obsess over. I revisit things over and over because when it's good it's good. I can understand being totally into an artist or a band. Most people on these forums are just like that, me included. I discover things that just totally floor me, performances that I wish I had seen. Right now, for me, that would be early Genesis with Peter Gabriel. I can't get enough of that, could sit around all day watching video clips, going to the record store to see if I can score old LP's. You're in the right place.

Crush Everything and Paulette like this.
  18. Paulette

I'm the OP and I've read this thread several times and no one had said or alluded that Ozzy didn't write the lyrics for "Black Sabbath". I thought I read somewhere that Geezer did write them.
    Geezer has said he was interested in Occultism. I think Iommi was the most religious, maybe the reason why he ended up being the one to give Ozzy a good punching for tearing up Bibles in hotels.
    The thread link you gave goes to a thread that seems as though there's mostly a lot of spouting off.

19. A soundboard audio recording of the whole performance is indeed available unofficially - on some websites Children of the Grave is left off because that song's included on the official BS Story Vol 1 video, but a wholly complete copy does exist and circulate as well. Only a few more songs are circulating on video. Complete video footage of the Sabbath show once existed as well, but was apparently destroyed by a fire. Rumours have it that a few people still have a complete copy of the video, but nobody I know has managed to find or prove that.

Paulette likes this.
  20. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

He made quite a few very good mashups in the past, but looks like he has stopped.
    Just one more, although it's not on topic.

Paulette likes this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not sure about the drug, but Iommi seems a bit distracted and his face tense, jaw clenched.
    If not coke, maybe an upper/amphetamine.

Here's Geezer telling a funny story of Tony's live flute solo failure.
    Two things, Tony looks a bit uncomfortable initially as Geezer starts the story, and Geezer noting that the band "smoking chillums of fine hash as hard as they could right before going on stage."

22. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Ozzy has said that in the very early days...he wore a necklace with a water valve attached to it (where some would have a pendant or other type of jewelry).
    A.) I love that story (It's in the book I Am Ozzy).
    B.) Black Sabbath placed "Sweet Leaf" as the opening track to Master of Reality...complete with the opening coughing on repeat...

Some folks don't understand it...and that's fine. But to the folks more accustomed to the lifestyle...Black Sabbath had a LOT of drug references in their lyrics.

It is what it is, man.

Paulette likes this.
  23. 131east23

Thanks. I really love the vibe of that show.

Paulette likes this.
  24. Paulette

Oi. Forgot about that. HILARIOUS!!!

25. Paulette

Thanks Tim :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.