Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Don't forget South America.

Carl80 likes this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Sorry South America as well

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I disagree on Noel doing at the same level as Liam. Liam is far more personal in his attacks towards his brother. Stands out by a mile.

Liam played small shows because he had too. He could've opened up for a bigger band if he wanted to I'm sure but he's a bit more uptight about stuff like that, especially when it comes to U2 :)

Either way, Liam cares about more IMO and wants it more. Like I said, he would drop everything for an Oasis reunion.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No I don't think so. I was in the UK for their biggest years and the break up. Highly overrated band. The US, and Canada, got a long fine and they do much better in the major markets. Unfortunately, neither country was spared the "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" sing-a-longs. :)

5. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Because those early records were brick walled to **** by Owen Morris. The point being that any oasis song would be louder than the rest when played and grab people’s attention.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I find it puzzling that so many say that Oasis never made it in the US. They did. They were on MTV when MTV still had music. They sold several million albums. That is not a bad run. They didn't make it as big as some other British bands have before, nor did they have the impact here they did in the UK. They, however, were going against the grain at the time, when grunge and hip hop and other music was dominant in the US market.

7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Highly overrated band with over 70 million album sales worldwide, Morning glory sold 4 million copies in America, not exactly a flop.

The fact you mention wonderwall and don’t back in anger which are there two mainstream songs shows you mightn’t have dug into there back catalogue much maybe to appreciate why people like them so much and they are still regarded as one of the best bands in the last 30 years.

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Long-term bet on what? Generic new song material without a front face? Oasis was the full package, the genius songs of Noel with the voice, the stage presence, the heart and soul of Liam. At this point Noel lost both, while Liam gives one of the best rock and roll shows in town. And now, with them not being together on stage, you have to pick between this performance and this performance, I know which one I prefer... Or even in the same arrangement with 2 of the same ex-Oasis band members, this performance or this performance. "Can you sing??? Can you sing???".

I'm not being critical of that, I'm showing the point in how it's Noel who never wanted to lose his big audience and was confident with being a catalogue act to be able to keep on playing for the big crowds. Liam just wanted to sing in a band. It isn't until now, the current arena shows, that Liam Gallagher started to do a set with half Oasis/half new songs from his hit album, a ratio Noel Gallagher instantly started with during his very first solo outings. Noel Gallagher's opening songs were Oasis, the complete encore were Oasis hits. Up to the point of the dreadful 'Mucky Fingers' being his only deeper cut for the full 2 year long tour, with the same opener all the time. It was Liam who did 0% Oasis-songs in 2011-2013, then for the second album tour (2013-2014) upped it to a whopping 10% (2 songs), after he started to do 2 Oasis songs by request for the massive Stone Roses support slot.

Noel Gallagher's ratio remained that until the second album 3,5 years on the road, but even for the festival sets last year he still did 40% Oasis material, and it are always the same 10 Oasis hits. And just like McCartney, only for corporate or benefit gigs he's treating the 1% fans able to attend those with the wild deeper cut he then will drop as soon as he's reaching his fan crowd again. While Liam is getting out deeper cuts left and right for the big crowds, and the arena tour didn't even start properly yet.

So I'm saying, it wasn't Liam who is playing safe. And as said, I'm not blaming Noel to be fine with being an oldies act, just like Liam is fine with combining his new material with Oasis nostalgia, but to say Liam is playing "far more Oasis material", while that's literally only since last week for the first time in 6,5 years, is not balanced.

Like... Liam did for The Stone Roses in 2012...? Like how he did a Glastonbury slot at 10am in the morning in 2013? It isn't as black and white. Again, Noel Gallagher is now the one with the desperate attempt at popular music, having to do vain press statements repeating it's "the best material he has ever done, I swear", having to do social media posts where he personally has to prove the ever-loving South American crowds do love the new material, and so far it's blowing up in his face after he alienated the people who made him what he is today.

And if anything, like I said, the comments by Liam is him now finally getting his due after the endless stabs on his career from Noel Gallagher in the past 6 years. Comments he could made because he was more popular and above it, but his tone quickly changed when Liam turned out to have the upper hand, which is very telling. Noel's trying to dig at Liam's use of a songwriters team, while big highlights on the album are 100% Liam Gallagher solo compositions, at the same moment the lead single of Noel Gallagher's is a re-make of Ice Cream's 'The Chewin' Gum Kid' and Plastic Bertrand's 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' with new lyrics... His fans are suddenly "parka monkeys", more recently they even were "little 15-year-old snotty ****s with polka-dot scarfs”, he's "trying to soar like an eagle an eagle and [he's] being asked to comment on the ramblings of a common pigeon"... No good look, and I'm saying this as someone who travelled abroad for many Noel Gallagher solo tours.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

You would think so with all the exposure on MTV.

NunoBento likes this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Not huge, but still incredibly successful. I get tired of posting the chart stats, but they did quite well for themselves here.

NunoBento, mindgames and BadJack like this.
  11. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

totally agree with every word!

alexpop and NunoBento like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Do you actually read what people write before you comment?

If you go back and read what I wrote you will notice that I did not say he never would.

I have no idea why you think he suddenly has some upper hand. Like I said many times, he would drop it all for an Oasis reunion. That is not someone with an upper hand.

You're clearly a big fan and that's fine but you're definitely blinded by that. I should've listened to @Efus at post #1212!

There's no value in discussing this with you, at least for me, so I'll leave you to it from here on out.

13. NunoBento

Words of a man who knows Oasis. Most of the fans feel this way and we'll see how alienating his own fanbase will turn out for our favourite beige boy in the upcoming album cycle. We know Liam is having a laugh for now.

Btw, selling out huge outdoor shows against not being able to sell out small arenas is the very definition of having the upper hand.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

More power to Laim that's what I say after his brother kicking him in the teeth with his savage statements, and even Paul Weller with his deadpan " pony" comment that was beneath the man and pretty green, not.

SebUK likes this.
  15. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I think it's the reverse. Liam needed his brother and put up with the control freak annoyances and constant put downs, until Liam decided to call it quits.

Liam then forming a band with the rest of Oasis immediately is telling of this.

Now Liam would want a reunion, but Noel won't ever give up the power to him, so it aint gonna happen.

Liam's album kills the Noel ones btw. It's great apart from the sound. Just get the iTunes version, you don't need extra fidelity.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Liam wants a big screen biopic on Oasis and he wants Mr Bean to play Noel with Rhys Ifans playing himself.:laugh:

17. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Yes, Oasis passed them by

18. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

people who call noel "beige" while lapping up boring generic pseudo beatles by numbers like "for what it's worth" seem confused to me. i guess we define "beige" differently.

19. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Noel stuff isn't rock'n'roll cos is not polarising. It's wishy washy stuff made to please. Rock'n'roll is about doing your stuff and not giving a damn if people like it or not.

Remember those horns and classical orchestra suddenly erupting on "Everybody's on the Run" in Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds? That was the sound of Noel selling out.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A question to any Oasis experts here: are there any albums or bootlegs which collect together sessions (BBC?), outtakes, demos that are worth picking up as an alternative to the brickwalled CDs?

21. NunoBento

We sure do. And I can guarantee you that I'm all but confused.

22. NunoBento

You should check this out. Noel's most prolific creative period after the DM+MG bash.

Oasis (2) - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants Sessions

Funnily enough, this could have turned into Noel's first album if Liam hadn't invaded the studio where he was doing these incredible demos. For it's time, some of it sure was inventive music. No Plastic Bertrand rip-offs here.

PhantomStranger and e.s. like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Cool. Thanks!

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Maybe they were for about 10 minutes.
    Of course that is 10 minutes more than most bands ever achieved...

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

In the UK we have never had that hole in the corner thing...

Jarleboy and JoeF. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.