Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

The location is known as "Stratford Hall," which is the Lee family estate from the 1730's. Hiking trails in the adjacent woods are the best kept secret there. Website and directions are here:

Directions | Stratford Hall

You will have to pay an entry fee for the grounds (and extra to tour the 18th century mansion). Ask at the gatehouse for a trail map which shows how to locate them, the length of each trail and the hiking effort required (easy, moderate, difficult).
    It's 42 miles southeast of Fredericksburg, VA, and would make a nice day trip from Washington. If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me.

ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was a series of Scriabin LPs with a color projection over nude women on the cover. You can't tell a record by its cover.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe $100 to $200 at an estate sale, tops. The music will also sound better if you unplug your refrigerator.

DeepFloyd11, julesd68 and andolink like this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

A lot of people have today off for Veteran’s Day. I’m currently watching it snow on the plane at O’Hare on the way to Green Bay.

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to Schubert - Sonata in C minor, D.958, and Improptu in A flat, Op.142, No.2. Played by Sviatoslav Richter on this Angel/Melodiya LP release from 1974.

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

7. coopmv

I think I have a few Angel LP's with Melodiya materials ...

8. coopmv

Are you a Packers fan?

9. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

DeepFloyd11, andolink and bluemooze like this.
  11. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Wow! That's quite a wild looking chair! It may help the sound but it would unfortunately look completely out of place in my house!

Since my "listening room" is just the living room of our relatively small house, I don't have a designated listening chair. Just a Mitchell Gold sofa. Nothing special but comfortable enough.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  12. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I just read this article, Carmen joins Pearl Fishers as LA's orchestras soar on what has been happening with LA orchestras when this paragraph caught my attention;

"First, though, let me note that it's not everyday a 97-year-old founder gets to address onstage his orchestra's half-century mark; but Jim Arkatov -- a cellist who was brought by Fritz Reiner to the Chicago Symphony as the youngest orchestra player all those years ago -- did just that. With arms opened wide to the audience, he gestured a big embrace and warm thank-you for those sustaining the LACO as the greatly deserving little band that it is."

I know Fritz Reiner has lots of fans and it's interesting to see that at least someone from that era is still alive. LACO is the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra celebrating its 50 Anniversary and it's first music director was Sir Neville Mariner.

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Part of my birthday haul today! (5 more, all Speakers Corner remasters, are on backorder.) I started with “Chopin’s Last Waltz.” It’s one of the most realistic piano recordings I have heard. Excellent playing, too.

[​IMG]

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Heinrich von Meissen: Frauenlob - The Celestial Woman" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

15. Eigenvector

Nice! Happy Birthday!!:wiggle:

Bachtoven likes this.
  16. bluemooze

Congratulations to andolink for getting the thread to the 500 pages milestone. :)

DeepFloyd11, andolink and Eigenvector like this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

As if that new turntable wasn't enough...! ;) Happy Birthday!

DeepFloyd11 and Bachtoven like this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

A funny thing just happened. I didn't see the picture in your original post of this, so I 'examined' the web page code and copied the link to it, and opened it as a web page. I saw the picture. Then I closed that page and returned here. Now I can see all your pictures. Weird. :)

20. bluemooze

Same thing happened to me.

21. Eigenvector

Similar thing happened to me. I couldn't see his images until I quoted his post, then it appeared. When I went back and refreshed the page, all of the images now showed correctly. Weird indeed!

andolink likes this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing Mozart- Piano Concerto No. 24, and Schoenberg - Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Op.42.

Played by Glenn Gould, piano, and the CBC Symphony conducted by Walter Susskind (Mozart) and Robert Craft (Schoenberg).

[​IMG]

Recorded in January 1961 in Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada. Released on Columbia Masterworks, May 14, 1962.

[​IMG]

Candid shot of Gould during the recording session, January 1961.

23. bluemooze

:agree:

hvbias likes this.
  24. Eigenvector

Ha! now we're typing at the same time. even weird-er.........:D

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

Happy Birthday! :)

Bachtoven likes this.