Who lives in an environment quiet enough that they can play whatever they want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 93curr, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I am in a nearly identical situation,except I live next door to an apartment building,where a woman plays music every bit as loud as my Heresey IIs could produce,through an open window,year round,singing along in a very loud voice.No one has yet to complain.

Dave likes this.
  2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Brick House baby, let it rock.

Aftermath, Old Rusty and Dave like this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

1/2 acre one neighbor next door - nothing across the street except a hill - I can let my Cornwalls free.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Came home from work tonight and the noise was so loud that I could hear it vibrating through my door before I went in. If anyone else was bothered by the noise and checked the hall, they might easily have thought it was coming from my empty apartment. I honestly can't imagine how anyone can listen to anything this loud. They must be doing it on purpose - possibly to intentionally annoy another tenant? I'm giving this another half hour and, if it hasn't stopped by then, I'm heading out to the bars all night. If it hasn't stopped by 2 AM, I'm just staying out all night. Maybe at a donut shop or something. I honestly feel like this is driving me insane. Or, you know, even more insane than before. I can't live like this.

jfeldt likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Don’t let me talk you out of closing down the bars but this will solve your problem if you just want to sleep.

[​IMG]

6. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I lived in Georgia for a while before moving to Idaho. In Georgia the nearest neighbor was maybe 150 feet away and my sound system was in the basement. It was ideal both for listening to music and for practicing trumpet and saxophone. Here in Idaho circumstances forced to me to purchase a home with neighbors very close to me on both sides. And I don't have a basement. I don't think my stereo bothers my neighbors, and they don't play stereos themselves to my knowledge. I'm not sure what they think about the trumpet and saxophone though!

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

I've tried earplugs. Sadly, it does nothing for the vibration. And only slightly muffles the music. When you can feel the bass right through the floor and through your whole body, it's impossible to rest. It's basically a form of torture.

The really disturbing thing is that this doesn't even originate on my floor. Or even the one below me. If it's this awful for me, how hellish must it be for the people who live underneath me? Or next to the source?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Call the police. They’ve been very persuasive each time they’ve “asked” me to turn it down.

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have no problems at all. My only neighbors are elderly and they're at least 50 yards away. I don't listen at high volume very often, but when I do I am careful to moderate things after 8 pm or so...this area is so quiet I'm sure the music will carry on down the road a ways.

Gavinyl likes this.
  10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My house is very quiet when it comes to outside noise. Loud music doesn't get outside very well, either. My neighbor's garage is the closest part of his house to me and most likely buffers the rest of the house. Our master bedroom is on the opposite end of the house from the audio system. Both rooms have insulated walls and solid core doors. No problems at all.

11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Other than occasional barks (that somehow penetrate double paned windows from 80 feet) from a yap yap little rat a$$ dog who patrols the yard across the alley from us we have a nearly dead quiet listening room that right now is blaring the Showtime Black Sabbath documentary.

Aftermath likes this.
  12. Got a house built into ridge-bedrock, no houses behind, houses 40 ft. over on each side. I can crank my hi-fi till my windows breathe with no complaints. Yet...
    :cool:

Aftermath and Dominick like this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've lived in both apartments and Dorms so I understand your issues. But I've lived with my wife in a house for the past 20 years now, and so the primary noisemakers inside of our house are our kids.

My listening room is inside of our basement. I don't have any problems with Neighbors stereos anymore. Mostly its just the kids foot-falls, or when they decide the crank-up the TV upstairs that I still have to deal with noise these days. I have thought about filling my celing with insulation to deaden the sound a bit, but its not so bad that I can't listen most of the time. And when it is bad, I just go upstairs and either tell the kids to settle down, or I turn the TV down.

14. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

:laugh: Only on the Steve Hoffman forums would you find a post like this. I love it.

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Fun Fact: For a couple of years in college I lived in a basement apartment that used to be the airport terminal in Grand Forks, ND. The upstairs was a travel agency. The basement was previously used as a fallout shelter, so the walls were 12" solid concrete. Once the folks in the travel agency left at 5:00, we could make as much noise as we wanted! There wasn't any other buildings within 200 yards.

16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

My music room is in the lower level of our house, I can go pretty loud and nobody upstairs says anything other than "dad's having fun.." I don't care one bit who I disturb outside my home, neighbors and all. I don't think they hear anything much at all anyhow, and if they do not like it they can move.

Gavinyl likes this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

House with double pane windows.
    Only guy getting hacked about loud music is Sasquatch:)

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Ha ha, that might drive me crazy.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As a (former) chronic blaster, it's all about the hours, man. From 11am-1pm nobody gonna complain.

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'd call the cops. Nobody keeps me out of my home, or awake when I need to be asleep.

Gavinyl, Aftermath and Agitater like this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

These work better than bits of foam rubber. The only thing I can hear is the blood rushing through my head. Seriously.

[​IMG]

Aftermath likes this.
  22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Our walls are so thin that we actually caught our neighbor's wife having an affair. It wasn't our intention, but one afternoon following a particularly excruciating 4 am musical interlude (to my recollection, it was Taylor Swift and Fleetwood Mac that was coming from the unit next door), the third or fourth that week, we asked our neighbor to turn the late-night make-out music down. He told us he had been out of town for a week :hide:

danner, Aftermath and billnunan like this.
  23. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I live in a rural area on 5 acres so most of my neighbors can't here the tunes. My listening room is in the walkout basement and even with the slider open I don't think can hear it all that much. We all get along very well and we all know one another. I'm very lucky to live where I do. I remember the days of apt's and homes in the city. Its very hard to listen to what you want and keep your neighbors happy.

Aftermath likes this.
  24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

2 acres, brick, daylight basement, no issues.

Old Rusty likes this.
  25. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

On an acre. Music room is an insulated shed about 30 meters from the house. Crank it.

Old Rusty and Aftermath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.