The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes I see this is from DAT so is either Archie's version or an upgrade thereof. I'm in the middle of it now so it has to do.

2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I gots to get up to speed with all y'all crazy streamers! I have a Galaxy S7. What else do i need to get started? My fancy pants newer NAD CDP has a USB port. :help:

3. bzfgt

Here's a review from 12/1/79 on the Archive:

Interesting. I've read other bandmates express annoyance with Bobby's antics--i.e., Phil and (I think) Kreutzmann--but I never saw any evidence they annoyed Jerry, and did not realize we all thought it did...I wonder if he's basing this on anything other than sheer wild speculation.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. bzfgt

I don't know what any of that means except "USB," and even that I don't know what it stands for...

5. bzfgt

My God--11/23/1973. That's three different ways I got the date wrong now.

wavethatflag, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  6. bzfgt

11/23/1973! I have it now, right? Maybe it's too close to Kennedy's assassination anniversary and the mind control implants are kicking in.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Oh, well.... :cry:

bzfgt likes this.
  8. bzfgt

Precisely.

9. bzfgt

Now I'm listening to Jack Straw and Deal from Nassau 12/1/1979. The former is lauded, the latter less known but also crazily great, despite its limitations which are an artifact of its date. What Deal does Garcia dominate the most with great lead guitar? Aside from the Garcia Band one from the 1990 live album, which is out of this world but not by the Grateful Dead...JGB doesn't play it quite as well overall as the best Dead versions I don't think, although Garcia's stuff on that is probably at least as good as any Dead version. Anyway, there are a few I remember without remembering what the dates/venues are. But this Nassau version would undoubtedly be in the conversation were it not for the fact that it precedes the addition of the second solo--alas, this flaw is fatal though.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just had a mini-air drum session during Drums that I'm dedicating to avid Drums listener, @warewolf95. Ha.

(Dudes, I'm so out of it tonight, plus I'm really into Dick's 29 right now, that I posted the above in the Tom Petty RIP thread by mistake.)

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  12. bzfgt

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. bzfgt

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is a unique One More Saturday Night (5/19/77). Jerry's strumming is different in this version, like he's adding a little thing you usually don't hear in this song.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  15. bzfgt

OK, heres another try at explaining my question about smaller lossless files:

This is what I mean. Let's say there's a code (which will ultimately refer to electrical pulses or something on the physical level I think) that the computer has to read which goes "Horn squonk = 2aT3jjB1." Of course "horn squonk" is too vague to really be something, but again I have to think of this in simplified terms not knowing anything on a technical level.

If the code only contains the characters a, B, j, T,2, 3, and 1, it will have to generate really long strings of characters to differentiate between all the different sounds it encodes--remember, it has to be really specific to get the sound exact, we are talking about a level where you can differentiate Charlie Parker's tone from Cannonball Adderley's, or tell when John Lennon has a cold--in short, what we call (I think) "fidelity." With only six characters, the sheer number of novel combinations needed will require longer stretches of code for shorter stretches of music--i.e., the files will be large.

Now imagine there are 3,000 to the 456,000,000th power characters in our code. One or two characters could be assigned to a millisecond of a particular kind of sound, or however it is done, and we still won't run out of novel combinations. In short, the files can be smaller.

Isn't that basically how it works? So now we just need a machine with lots of computing power to recognize all these characters.

16. bzfgt

Despite any inaccuracies in what I'm saying, digital recording has to work something like the above. So my question surely is intelligible.

17. bzfgt

OK, here's an easier question: I'm listening to Loser now, from Dave's 24. Trivia question (to which I don't know the answer): when did Garcia ditch poor Susie? I want to say the "sweet Susie" line didn't stick around long, anyway...

18. bzfgt

I think Bird Song on the new Dave Pick is as good as any of the lauded 1972 versions like Veneta and the Spectrum. It is out of sight, as the young are wont to say.

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and dtuck90 like this.
  19. bzfgt

Edit: "really long code language" it should have said. This has been shot down on its dedicated thread, I guess I haven't solved the problem.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

As I understand the situation the second set was recorded on a reel-to-reel by audience folks, Healy gave them a patch out of the board. This show went into huge circulation immediately because of the quality of set II, and because "we" had the SBD. An official release, in a just Universe, would use the reel source for set II and the cassette source for the remainder of the show.

Why hasn't it been released? That is a legit question, we have not seen anything from Fall of '79 in a stand-alone release (30 Trips doesn't count, every year gave up something) in a long time. 1 Dec '79 deserves to be a Dave's Pick, the rest of the Autumn should be curated like the proposed June '76 box set.

21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You've done it again son! 1 Dec '79 was in Pittsburgh, 1 Nov '79 was at Nassau- what show were you listening to? :help:

Deal- Lake Placid, 17 Oct 1983. Listen to how Phil leads the dynamics of the song with Jerry following along. They used a technique from JS Bach called "terraced dynamics," Phil would step the whole energy level of the band up, up, up, then he brought them down in discrete steps. Utterly amazing.

22. bzfgt

Wow...december 1. Was one of those other shows Nassau? I don't know what I'm doing with dates tonight! It was the one with the Gloria jam which I think is the one Archtop mentioned. But I also listened to a Jack Straw> Deal combination which I see is not from that night and now I don't know what the hell I was listening to, but it was 1979. I give up.

US Blues likes this.
  23. bzfgt

OK, that was 1/11/1979...I don't know how I stumbled into that one. The whole affair is just dire.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  24. bzfgt

Having said that, that (1/11/79) is one of the crankingest Jack Straws I've ever heard. They do blow the landing into "Jack Straw from Wichita" though, Jerry should have either defied Bobby or jumped in with both feet.

US Blues likes this.
  25. bzfgt

I only remember, like everyone else, "Sugaree" from that show. I'm off to check out Deal. I'm not even going to mention the date.

Billy_Sunday likes this.