Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

I've taken time to list the songs in alphabetical order and note which discs they occur on (including San Diego). Hopefully there aren't any mistakes but it was difficult when working quickly to distinguish the titles Saved from Saving Grace, and Ain't no man righteous from Ain't gonna go to hell for example. I managed to separate I believe in you from I don't believe you at least !

Abraham, Martin and John DVD
    Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody 245 DVD
    Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One 23
    Are You Ready? 26 DVD
    Ballad Of A Thin Man 7
    Band Introductions 68 SANDIEGO
    Blessed Is the Name 2 SANDIEGO
    Blowin’ In The Wind 8
    Caribbean Wind 24
    City of Gold 3
    Covenant Woman 135 SANDIEGO
    Cover Down, Pray Through 45 DVD
    Dead Man, Dead Man 247
    Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) 136 DVD SANDIEGO
    Every Grain of Sand 24
    Forever Young 8
    Girl From The North Country 7
    Gonna Change My Way of Thinking 13 SANDIEGO
    Gotta Serve Somebody 123457 SANDIEGO
    Help Me Understand 3
    I Believe in You 157 SANDIEGO
    I Don’t Believe You 7
    In the Summertime 2
    In the Garden 168 SANDIEGO
    It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue 8
    I Will Love Him 3
    Jesus Is the One 3
    Jesus Met the Woman at the Well DVD
    Just Like A Woman 8
    Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door 8
    Lenny Bruce 8
    Let’s Begin 8
    Like A Rolling Stone 7
    Maggie’s Farm 7
    Making a Liar Out of Me 4
    Man Gave Names to All the Animals 157 SANDIEGO
    Mr. Tambourine Man 8
    Precious Angel 15 DVD SANDIEGO
    Pressing On 236 DVD SANDIEGO
    Radio Spot January 1980, Portland, OR 4
    Rise Again 4
    Saved 1 DVD SANDIEGO
    Saving Grace 26 SANDIEGO
    Shot of Love 24 DVD
    Slow Train 123468 DVD SANDIEGO
    Solid Rock 1268 DVD SANDIEGO
    Stand by Faith 3
    The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar 24
    Thief on the Cross 3
    Trouble in Mind 3
    Watered-Down Love 248
    What Can I Do for You? 16 DVD SANDIEGO
    When He Returns 135 DVD SANDIEGO
    When You Gonna Wake Up? 158 SANDIEGO
    Ye Shall Be Changed 3
    Yonder Comes Sin 4
    You Changed My Life 4

Can anybody help with the identification of some of the photos in the 'Pressing On' book please? I'm curious as to the line up of the 5 singers on page 74 (I know Clydie King is on the right) and the male backing singer on page 76. No help needed with page 117 thanks! Also who is the chap on pages 28 to 29? They are great photos but should have been labelled somehow.Overall this is a fantastic set.

duggan, Percy Song, Hep Alien and 8 others like this.
  2. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

I'm really impressed with this box set. Although I fit into the 'unbelief' rather than 'faith' camp, I think this was a golden period for "His Bobness".

A question for you Dylan experts please:

Property Of Jesus is a strong song from Shot Of Love in my view. It doesn't appear in this set at all. Anyone know why? Did he play this song live during this period, or did he not favour it much?

Yorick likes this.
  3. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I may be wrong but think it is the only song from the gospel 'trilogy' of albums that has never been performed live.

Yorick likes this.
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Never played live.

5. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Well, I'll be darned. Not only for my unbelief, but also out of surprise he didn't used to play it. Thank you both for the response.

mark ab likes this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Jim Keltner surely doesn't t need any introduction around here. His drums can be heard on so many classic songs and behind so many legendary artists. What this offer is a chance to over 8 discs hearing his playing in a livesetting. Sometimes it s hard to put the finger on exactly what it is that makes a certain mucisian stand out. In the case of Keltner it certanely ain t his technical skills(even though they are considerable). Personally I think he has a way of playing that always serves the song and context he works within. No flashy show offsbut an incredible steady beat with the right swing when needed. He also have a great flair when it comes to syncopated rhythms.Overall his sense of rhythm and timing is second to none. I think Keltners playing is just as important to the greatness of this band as Tacket and Oldham.
    Tim Drummonds bassplaying overall is stunning as well and together with Keltner form a rhytmsection as great as any I ever heard. Guess one gift Dylan has that he s not often is credited for is putting together great bands. Don t think it exist a better group playing Americana that his current band.

7. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Taking it slow through this one as there is so much to enjoy. Only watched the DVD (twice) so far. Fantastic stuff.

The dissatisfied fan comments at the beginning give it the feel of 1966 Revisited, which I'm sure is not an accident.
    The duet with Clydie King is sublime and the version of Jesus Met ... is great too.

Tim Drummond looks like he was having an absolute blast. Sad that he never got to see this presentation of his great work. RIP.

bonus likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm taking it slow too, listening to each disc at least twice before moving on, and I'm up to Toronto now.

In conversation with my Dad I mentioned this set and explained the gospel period to him and he, retired (non-"evangelical") minister was interested and asked to hear some of it so I bought him the two cd set and will give it to him soon. I don't expect him to fall in love with Dylan's music and voice, but he'll find the notes interesting and will listen and appreciate the enthusiasm and subject matter.

bonus, Sean Murdock and Zeki like this.
  9. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

Apologies if this has already been gone through in this massive thread.

Ben Rollins introduction mentions there are four versions of Slow Train in the set though of course there are seven in total. Also, considering there are no tracklistings for Toronto and Earls Court gigs in the back of the package could this mean that this was originally going to be a 4 cd set and the concerts were a late addition?

Half way through the first cd and despite the recordings being mostly "only" mono soundboards they still present a major upgrade over the audience recordings. If I remember correctly there weren't any soundboards circulating from 1979.

It's been a long time coming but looks like this box set was well worth the wait!

10. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Mono really? According to the sources, the cassettes are two -track recordings.

11. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

Yes, mono. There's only one stereo track on the first cd, can't hear any seperation on the others. Have not listened on headphones though.

12. boe

boe Forum Resident

Totally agree with earlier comments about Keltner's playing throughout. His drumming on the opening track of Earls Court (Gotta Serve Somebody) alone is worth the price of admission. And Bob is indeed a way underrated band leader. Some are better than others but he's had great groups with strong musical identities throughout his career - any numbe of which would be the peak for most artists: The Hawks/Band (a cover band before coming under Bob's wing), Rolling Thunder, early 2000s Campbell / Sexton / Koella, his current group...and now with this box set the gospel years will hopefully be appreciated as one of the great bands. As far as putting together unique groups at that level (and diversity of musical approach) I think Bob is on par wth Miles Davis. The few times I've been fortunate to be in the front row / on the rail for Bob concerts, I've noticed just how much Bob directs the band live with little nods,shrugs, and glances. They aren't just hitting the stage and playing set parts. Everyone is on their toes (and I have seen a few Wrath of Bob glances when someone wasn't paying attention or picking up cues, however subtle).

13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I have only heard the first two CDs so far but I think that the tracks on these are mostly mono. It doesn't matter though the reproduction, balance and sound quality is fine.

Looking forward to the rest after a lot of shipping issues like many others.

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think mostly he comunicates through Tony Garnier these days. Really love Bobs current band and the 2000 band with Campbell and Sexton really was guitarheaven. Bob also has played his guitar at the time-amazing.
    Bob asa musician and bandleader are one of the few aspects of his that s not overloaded with books and all kind of studies. Oddly enough.

boe and Sean Murdock like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

Two tracks of the same thing = mono.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  16. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Are the sermons acutual transcriptions of Bob's in concert words, or are they written by someone else?

highway likes this.
  17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

According to the booklet they are written by someone whose name I don t remember.

petercl likes this.
  19. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

Toronto "Slow Train". Every heart and mind on stage completely in the same musical zone. Bob's vocal delivery and the rhythm section beautifully in sync.
    Could never bore of the laid back groove on "Do right..."
    Then a mini, almost-sermon before a "Solid Rock" as different as any other on the set.
    On that thought; tracking back to "WYGWU" further evidence of shamanism. Play the '81 version straight after and wonder at the power to reinterpret from one state of brilliance to another.

Bemagnus and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Just cracked open my box and started listening. Without looking at the dates, listening to Contract With the Lord about a thousand times paid off--can pick out the 11/16/79 material from the first fifteen seconds every time. :laugh:

But gosh, this material is astonishing in this quality. Can't wait to get through the rest.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I love the San Diego discs but 11-16-79 remains the top of the heap for me. I would love to have that show, unedited, from the soundboard tape (which sounds great in the couple of samples we get).

22. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Thanks, I haven’t read the booklet yet. Wouldnt it have make more sense if it was Bob’s actual words? Im not complaining though, I thought they were fine.

23. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

For years, I've thought it peculiar how Dylan gets the Golden Rule wrong in "Do Right to Me Baby" -- that he'll only treat the woman right if she treats him right, rather than the actual altruism inherent in the thing. I can't really chalk it up to Dylan being a theological neophyte at the time -- I mean, everyone understands the spirit of the Golden Rule, right?

So is the song meant humorously?

Or is the final line of the chorus, where he actually says the Golden Rule, a refutation of the previous lines, like he's reminding himself or answering back that he shouldn't act that selfish or entitled?

Or did he legitimately not understand the spirit of the Golden Rule?

24. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

I always interepted the song to be saying, that if everyone was altruistic and didn't use others for their own advantage, then we'd all inherently "do right unto others". I don't see it as a religious song; more of a morality check.

Tom Schreck likes this.
  25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well they did sort of start it as "The Columbia Performance Series" with the "The Other Side of the Mirror" DVD and then "Bob Dylan In Concert: Brandeis University 1963", but there's been nothing since. There certainly are many candidates for the next in the series from this era. I'd go with a Warfield '79 show, myself. 16 November, anyone?

DmitriKaramazov and Sean Murdock like this.