The Who Sell Out 50 years later: song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

It was too fun for 1967. Revolver, Pet Sounds and then Sgt Pepper ruined everything.

Humbuster likes this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Simply magnificent.

Jet Age Eric and Dodoz like this.
  3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Excellent observation.

I've always thought that when Pete got serious and lost his sense of humor in his songwriting that the Who's works lost something unique. I suppose every band wants to be 'taken seriously', and certainly the Who have been taken seriously. But I miss having a dash of fun added to the mix.

4. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Sell Out is my favourite Who-album!
    And Armenia City In The Sky is in my top 5 Who songs!
    And I love Moon's drumming on this one. Especially cymbal work.
    :love:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    WilliamWes, vince and Dodoz like this.
  5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I went through a pretty big Who phase around the time that my wife and I first met (over 20 years ago). I had always liked The Who, I just wasn't heavy into them yet. So I went out and got most of the albums. This one, far and away, is mine (and my wife's!) favorite. It's one of the albums that we were listening to as we fell in love (pretty cliche, eh?). This album is full of ear worms-I can't tell you how many times, out of nowhere, "Triumphant! Is the way she felt, as she acknowledged the applause!" pops into my head. Or "Coke, after coke, after coke, after Coca-Cola!". Moon's drumming in "Glow Girl" is among one of my favorite drum parts of his. "Someone's Coming" is in my top 3 of John Entwistle songs. The worst thing about the album is Roger in a tub full of beans. Nasty.

HappyFingers and WilliamWes like this.
  6. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

"Armenia City in the Sky" is one of my favorite Who songs. I love The Who Sell Out, and I used to own an original sealed US mono copy of the LP. I had to sell it, though, because I needed the money. :(

7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Daltrey changed his style quite radically when he became a bona fide rock star. There were no screams on the earlier albums, none of the rough, "macho" vocals he used later on. He sounds quite poppy on "Sell Out" IMO.

"Armenia" doesn't remind me of the Sweet, unless somebody spiked their tea or something :D The beat can remind of a 4/4 stomper but the sound picture is sooo out there, the mix, the effects, the vocals.

8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I have this City Slang sampler CD (with Sebadoh, Superchunk, Hole etc) and they used the "more music more music more music" from "Sell Out" segue between two tracks.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Was 'Armenia' composed specifically for The Who, or this album? Or did Townshend hear it from Speedy, and get excited about it? It's (as far as I can tell) one of the very few times The Who have gone to the well of contemporary artists for songs rather than covering the classics (their take of Elton's 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting' is the only other one I can think of).

Shaddam IV likes this.
  10. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I bought this album at my local record store in Jersey a few years ago. Very odd album, but sounds pretty nice.

Dodoz likes this.
  11. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

My favorite Who album. I had the twofer LP in the 80's but never listened to it much. It was the 1995 CD that made me a fan but I had no idea it was a remix until much later. I have a few LP copies now and the original CD. Love the vocals on this album.
    Just wanted to post this song by Sloan that seems to be a tribute (rewrite?) to Armenia City In The Sky.

WilliamWes and marc with a c like this.
  12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Wow, in Jersey??! Very nice!
    I liked the Impact series (most of it was french chanson but there were exceptions). I thought they usually sounded nice on my crappy record player as a kid, and I had no idea what "pressing" meant, that they were not of the same quality, that some vinyl was quieter etc. For a budget collection, they were pretty good quality soundwise. I would have loved to own this Who collection!

Did they cut the commercials on this compilation ?

The funny thing is that Impact put out a volume 2 with no "Sell Out" tracks except for "I Can See For Miles", that was already on the first volume. And I just saw on line that they gathered the two volumes for a double LP - so, if you own, it, there you are with "I Can See For Miles" TWICE in the same set.:confused:
    http://www.*****/photogallery/photo751/TheWhoVol2-LP-FR2.jpg

Double LP set
    http://www.*****/photogallery/photo751/TheWho-2LP-FR2.jpg

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Great idea for a thread, by far my favourite Who album and one of my favourite Sixties albums overall. First heard it via the 1995 extended CD release and fell in love with the whole sprawling mess of it - even the outtakes were generally great as well!

Shaddam IV and Spazaru like this.
  14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Great you are doing this. It would only feel complete if you added all the bonus tracks when we finish. I'm sure people have comments about those too. I put together a 2-disc version that incorporates everything and since there are a lot more bonus commercials, I was able to continue the radio theme for 90 minutes. It's a great listen with the bonus tracks all together. One of my favorite deluxe editions from anyone.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I just wish there were some live recordings from this era, along with the Fillmore East tape that NEEDS to be released!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  16. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I didn't mean the whole state, I should have stated there was no interest in it in Killeen, Texas. I'm sure it was popular in the large Texas cities.

Spazaru likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Space...Grace...Jag-U-ARrrrr!

CBS 65780 and Man at C&A like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think part of that had to do with the transition of importantance from singles to full albums.Too much time to think

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wonder if it sold better than it's number 13 UK chart position suggests. Perhaps a slow seller at first that sold over time. Original copies in the UK aren't common, but I've seen a lot over time. Getting it or any other 60s Who records in decent condition is a real challenge though.

Dodoz likes this.
  20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Armenia City In The Sky is a fantastic intro to a strange album. I first heard it when I bought one of those MCA twofers in the 80’s. Literally didn’t know what to think, since it clearly wasn’t Daltrey or Townshend’s voice I was hearing! Side one of this LP is still one of my favorite and funnest listening experiences.

Dodoz and vince like this.
  21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Yes, it probably sold in the wake of the success of "Tommy" and "Who's Next". There were also different subsequent repackagings, double albums with "A Quick One" and "Sell Out" with different, contemporary pictures on the cover.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I LOVE this album, too.....
    But, I'm sure you all know this!

PIGGIES and Dodoz like this.
  23. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Was at a record fair once.
    Guy I used buy from had €100 on a copy.
    "Is it mono or stereo?"
    "Eh ... [looks], mono. It's a bit scruffy. I'll do it for you for ... €60. No poster obviously."
    Had a look at it. UK mono first.
    Bought it. Took it home.
    Plays like a mothertrucker.
    Best. Thing. Ever!

24. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Here is the psychedelic poster that came with original pressings of the album.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

When I was a teen, I found a great sticker of the album cover in a small shop, and like a fool I wasted it : instead of sticking it to something more permanent, I stuck it...inside this year's school agenda. Damn me. I still kick myself for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.