Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, let's also keep in mind that around the time of Speak/Talk Of The Devil, Ozzy was seemingly incapable of letting his anger go. The Ozzy vs. Sabbath thing was out of control. And even though he was having so much success on his own, it seemed like he spent as much time regretting how things ended with Sabbath as focusing on his own career.

So he overcompensated and even lied. I can still remember a full page ad for Speak Of The Devil in Circus or Cream or whatever advertising that now you could hear live versions of the Black Sabbath songs Ozzy "wrote" and sang. And I remember thinking, wtf? And even before that album he was saying some crap in the press about writing Sabbath music and lyrics that eventually caused Dio to become livid and totally blast him for being a liar.

This period was a bad time for Ozzy, IMO. Ironically, he was doing very well commercially, but I think he was out of his mind on drugs and booze, filled with resentment and pissed that Black Sabbath with Dio were being accepted.

But at the same time, he set things straight later, and as such that period should be over so we can look at what actually transpired.

Geezer has stated that he told Ozzy of the experience he had and Ozzy wrote the lyrics to "Black Sabbath". I think this should be accepted as fact. I believe we also know that Ozzy wrote lyrics to "Who Are You?", "Am I Going Insane?", "The Writ" and "Junior's Eyes". And there may be more.

So Geezer did write 95% of the lyrics, but I think you've overstated the matter a little.

In addition, Geezer was interested in the occult and black magic sometime around I would think maybe early 1969. He was dabbling in this stuff and the experience that foretold the song "Black Sabbath" scared the daylights out of him. So yes, it is a song with a reverence for God, but it came out of him having not realizing that this stuff was not to be taken lightly. He was not a "practicing Catholic" at the time of this experience or considering "being a priest". He was raised as a strict Catholic and there may have been a time when he was considering a future as a priest, but it was not at the time of the experience that conceived the story of the song.

Crush Everything, Purple and Paulette like this.
  2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Peter Frampton was an original member of Humble Pie. The band was formed by Steve Marriot who died in the early 90's.

Paulette likes this.
  3. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. Didn't know about Frampton

4. Paulette

I saw an interview where Bill talks about being lit up and how it was a set up. I was thinking he's doing his best to save face :shrug:

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I did an ABA thread on Humble Pie. Check it out if you get the chance. The concert I mentioned was pretty amazing with 3 top notch bands that were all selling albums at the time.

The Humble Pie Album by Album thread

Paulette likes this.
  6. Paulette

Groovy. I am diggin' the album by album thing

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. Paulette

Ok.....this concert is orgasmic. I can just see myself there! When they do Sabbra Cadabra, oi....there's no words or emoji for it. This was the first time I heard Meglomania. Is this a very angry song? Does he say, "Suck me"?

8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Paulette,

You need to get Sabotage. Some feel it's the best Sabbath record ever, and I wouldn't disagree.

They were going through insane problems with their management at that time. So, yes, parts of the album are quite "angry".

Crush Everything and Paulette like this.
  9. Paulette

Sabotage came in the mail this past Monday. Just no chance to listen. So, after I heard "Megalomania" on the live album you gave the link for, I put it on. So much emotion surfaced, I was crying towards the end and was thinking, "This one is my favorite". Then I fell asleep.

"Megalomania" may replace "Sabbra Cadabra" as my favorite song. The latter creates strong sexual emotions and a happy feeling, like a love song. The former is even more intense sexually and then an explosion of other feelings like anger and some undefineable feelings. Kinda scary like being a kid again, yet freeing. I can just feel without labeling.

I dig Sab bridges. Symptom of a Universe especially.

I think it may be my favorite album. We'll see. I haven't heard all the Ozzy albums yet.

There is no anticipation of any enjoyment from other line ups but I will listen nonetheless.

Sheesh, wasn't planning on some crazy emotional critique. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Tim1954 likes this.
  10. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I never thought of Megalomania as angry. I think it's a song that gives hope. The way I see it, in the first half he's dealing with some mental problem and in the second half he's getting over it. "Free!!" Several songs on the album have a similar structure where the second half is totally different than the first.

Setting fire to Bill Ward is talked about seriously in Iommi's book. He talks about a time when Ward got badly burnt and expresses deep regret about it.

Crush Everything and Paulette like this.
  11. Paulette

Well, I never said "Megalomania" was angry. I asked Tim if it was and he replied of more general anger in the album.

I feel anger when I listen to it.

And I always felt the burning of Bill to be exceedingly vile. That's why, when I saw the interview and Bill said it was a set up, that he may be saving face.
    Welcome to the forum, BTW :goodie:

12. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Thanks for the welcome. Just to clarify, Iommi does write that the fire thing was done totally with Ward's consent, it was a joke that went wrong.

To the original question: I haven't noticed anyone here mentioning the third verse in the early version that can be heard on The Ozzman Cometh. That verse makes it sound even more like the kind of simple thing that Ozzy does. I see no reason to believe he didn't write all of it, especially since Geezer says he did. Geezer states in the Classic Albums: Paranoid episode that Ozzy wrote all of Fairies Wear Boots. I don't know about Changes but it does bear similarities to some of Ozzy's improvised lyrics, as in Sometimes I'm Happy, or the studio demo of Planet Caravan (also on the Classic Albums episode).

It's a bit of a cry-wolf situation I reckon with Ozzy: when you take credit enough times for songs you didn't write, people will think you didn't write anything.

Paulette likes this.
  13. Paulette

Oh, ok. Love these babies sooo much, but my gosh! Hey, let's set you on fire.....well ok....

Simple thing Ozzy does? I know virtually nothing about how music is made. I think it's why I get picked on around here. I get so much from using this forum, though. I create threads about everything. Mostly Sabbath.

And true, I have said, Geezer said it, no brainer.... But it stuck in my head. Why would I have read otherwise?

I swear I also saw a video interview where the interviewer asks Ozzy about killing the cats. Then asks him if he realizes he has the traits of a psychopath. He says, "I never thought of it that way before!" Can't find that either. Maybe I dreamt these things.

14. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

What's great about music is how it give people different emotions, interpretations, etc.

I mention this as I find Megalomania gives no hope at all.
    I believe the working title was Adolf and loosely based on Hitler.

Anyway, my interpretation whether the guys (Geezer-lyrically) intended it this way or not, I'll never know. Here it goes:

From my understanding, Megalomania is a mental condition that starts with Narcissism and sometimes gets worse to where one believes they're a god.
    Starting out with two egos, one's true self and the other, the person's made-up perception. I think the first portion of Megalomania has the person discovering the duel egos. The second portion is the fighting of the egos for control. Iommi's blistering solo is the person's descent into madness and the last portion is the made-up ego (god) has taken over the person's psyche.

One example of many, as why I feel Geezer is one of the best lyricists in Rock and the best in it's sub-genre we know as Heavy Metal.
    The guy was light years away from everyone else.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, to be clear, I believe what would happen is Tony would ask if he could set Bill on fire. And then with Bill's ok he would light the lower part of Bill's long beard on fire.

Not that I get this type of thing these guys thought was funny but it was obviously felt as it burned from the bottom it could be put out. I think it went a bit wrong once.

Paulette likes this.
  16. Paulette

It was more than once though, right? And really, what kind of a-hole asks someone if he can set them on fire?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I think so, yes. I only meant that I believe it went somewhat wrong once, but I really don't know.

I was just clarifying when people talk about Bill "being set on fire" let's not confuse things. These guys could be nutty around each other but it was Bill's beard that was being set on fire, afaik.

Paulette likes this.
  18. Paulette

I understand, but I still think of it as Bill being set on fire. I realize that there was no harm meant, just some screwy power issues, maybe. And stupid weird man guy play, I guess.

19. Paulette

Have you seen a "Night Flight" interview with Ozzy, early 1980's ish? He had just shaved his head. I feel uncomfortable watching it. I understand his words but can't follow his concepts. It is like he keeps getting distracted by the words themselves and then is unable to form a complete thought. I do this when I am nervous so I understand but it was intense. Anyway, he tells the interviewer that he got inspiration from Hitler and it just totally spirals. You mentioning the working title of "Mega" being "Adolf" made me think of that.

20. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

Yeah I have seen that interview. I think Ozzy is "fueled" on something. He does state he admired Hitler, not for what he did, but how he could influence people and if he'd only used his influence for good.

As far as his shaved hair. I've heard two reasons. One was because his hair was damaged with treatments, he had to shave it off. The other was he was smashed drunk and did it to get back at Sharon for something.

One thing I forgot to mention about Megalomania is Ozzy's delivery, just astounding.

Paulette likes this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a weird analogy. But he's saying if Hitler had used his "charisma" for good then that's what he wants to do with his influence.

This period was weird for Ozzy, IMO. In that interview he seems not necessarily on something at the moment but like the cumulative effect has him permanently glassy-eyed.

No question. Never heard anybody sing like that. All the harmonies as well. His voice when he started multitracking it was so thoroughly distinctive it was on its own island. In a way it's a shame what happened when he went solo, because his voice took a bit of a backseat to the whole "madman" thing they decided to milk.

sad124 and Paulette like this.
  22. Paulette

What do you think about when he lights a ciggy in the interview? To me, he became someone else in that moment. IDK, I just sensed a change.

"Megalomania" gets me so high. Have you listened to the version in the link in this thread that Tim posted? Take me away!!!

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Les Baxter composed the music for the US AIP version.

24. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Actually it's real simple, applies to everyone from bums to celebrities...

Boredom + drugs = bad decision making

Bill was a gentle soul that went along to get along.
    Iommi was definitely the hard ass in that band, and generally what he said was the way it went.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I met Geezer once and he told me directly that in fact he wrote the lyric's to Juniors Eyes for Ozzy about the death of Ozzy's father because
    Ozzy asked him to as he couldn't do it himself.

sad124, Purple, Dave and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.