The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The inserts are rare. I've never seen one in a used copy. ( My copy has it, and yes it's the original Decca press) Whether or not they were exclusive to Decca - IDK the answer.

dee likes this.
  2. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Correct. Direct Hits is the mono lp mix of Miles (in glorious rechanneled stereo). The mono Direct Hits is a folddown of the rechanneled stereo

There are two different UK Track pressings of Miles. Miles is same mix on both pressings but the mixes of the B-side Someone's Coming are different.

lukpac likes this.
  3. My Decca copy of MBBB that I purchased when it came out did not have the insert. I found the insert this summer in a $3.00 used Decca copy of MBBB. I never saw one before that.

dee likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It always was among my friends. Robert Christgau gave it an "A-". The Rolling Stone Record Guide gave it five stars and called it "a perfectly sequenced collection of its finest moments from the Sixties". Rolling Stone's readers voted it the 8th best Who album of all time. So, yeah, it's highly regarded.

dee, supermd, Spadeygrove and 5 others like this.
  5. My friends too. When this album was re-issued in 1980 I was in Grade 10 & it dropped like a bomb. It was our 'Who gateway' you might say. Every single weekend at high-school beer-parties Meaty Beaty got cranked to 11. We went nuts for it...

6. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Well they only really made 11 albums so that doesn't say much.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If you count compilations and live albums (which the poll obviously did, since MBBB was included) there's a lot more than eleven albums. MBBB was the only compilation included in the top ten, so that's saying something.

When I first got into The Who it was my favorite of their albums, since I prefer the 60s material and it had the cream of the crop of the 60s stuff.

8. uzn007

By my count, they released ten studio albums, one live album and eight compilation albums before breaking up in 1982 (scads more since then, of course). Since MBB&B is a compilation album, I would count it as one of at least 19.

czeskleba likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There was also one live compilation album (TKAA soundtrack). And as you noted, that's only in the years they were an active recording act, whereas this Rolling Stone poll presumably encompasses their entire catalog over their entire history.

10. uzn007

I was counting that in the compilations since I couldn't remember exactly what was on it.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

For compilations released before the initial break-up, I can think of: Magic Bus, Direct Hits, MBBB, Odds & Sods, The Story of the Who, Hooligans, Rarities Volumes 1 and 2, and Who's Greatest Hits. So that's nine compilation albums, or ten if you do count TKAA soundtrack among the compilations.

12. uzn007

I don't remember when they "officially" broke up so I was counting everything up to 1982, excluding Greatest Hits and Rarities. I included The Kids are Alright and the Quadrophenia soundtrack under compilations.

But let's not hijack this thread any more. The real takeaway is that MBBB is a kick-ass album and I'm amused to learn that the cheap MCA compact disc I bought in the 90s (probably used) is apparently the desirable version to have. Also, I should probably pick up a used copy of The Kids are Alright and I should probably pull my copy of Rarities Vol 2 out and give that another spin sometime soon.

dee and czeskleba like this.
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

My Generation
    Sell Out
    Happy Jack
    MBBAB

These records had very little popularity amoung my crowd. Many of the early quirky Who songs faded away rather quickly, as they didn't hold up well compared to the more aggressive rock music of the 70's.

We played Live at Leeds and Who's Next.

Popular compilations I can think of were Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits, Steppenwolf Greatest Hits, Worst of Jefferson Airplane, Doors 13 / Absolutely Live, Grand Funk, The Kinks, Best of Cream, Hot Rocks -some others I can't recall at the moment. But MBBAB, no not in my area.

14. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I’ve listened to this reissue of MBB&B multiple times over the weekend and I personally think it sounds great. Worth the money for the long versions of Magic Bus and I’m A Boy.

dee, fmfxray373 and SteelyNJ like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I agree it doesn't sound too shoddy in spite of the reprocessed stereo remaining.

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was cataloging all of my old CDs this weekend (party time!) and I was pleasantly surprised to find it in my collection. I didn't recall owning that but I plan to give it a spin tonight.

17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the sound and it's easily as good as a UK Track original, and on some tracks a mild improvement - I'm just still amazed at the inclusion of fake stereo tracks but it is what it is...

dee, landerstnkb and SteelyNJ like this.
  18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

This thing is worth it just for Substitute and I'm a boy

landerstnkb likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The cover (front and back) of this album is one of my all-time favorites.

dee and fmfxray373 like this.
  20. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

Really impressed with the sound, very punchy & the dynamics are great. Like other 1/2 speed remasters needs to be cranked up, just hope the neighbours like the Who!

fmfxray373, landerstnkb and Tommyboy like this.
  21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

In terms of the original LP, was the fact that it was an early George "Porky" Peckham cut add to its appeal/popularity?

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Seriously? The Classic Records Direct Hits sounds good? I never bothered to check it out because of the sound of the original. I love the track listing on that album.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They went back to the proper mono.

WhoTapes1 and Myke like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How does it sound?

25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

All of the Who "Classic" LP's that I have purchased are analog cuts from the original masters and they sound fantastic. With "Direct Hits", I wouldn't be surprised if they spliced the original mix tapes into a build reel and cut from that, like they did for My Generation. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it if it is of interest to you.

Tommyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.