Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Disc 2 is an absolute revelation, for lack of a better word. I'd not dived as deeply as I should have into 1981, apparently.

I'm also finding myself less distracted by the shift between the three years from song to song. A 1979 tune can go straight into 80 or 81 with ease. This may be my favorite Bootleg Series yet, and I still have about 80% of the material to go--not to mention the books. An embarrassment of riches!

duggan, picassoson, The Bard and 4 others like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Perhaps a "clue" can be found in the fact that this song predates the Gospel years, being played live in '78. Knowing that, I'm more or less convinced that it's not to be read literally. I certainly take it as clever and humorous.

subtr and Tom Schreck like this.
  3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I finally found a reasonably priced 2-CD edition at Best Buy for $16.99 so if you are looking around hit a local BB in your area. Barnes and Noble wanted $23.99.

I can't believe just how intense these shows are. Shot Of Love is like a freight train. Under the fire and brimstone there is subtle humor on songs like Man Gave Name To The Animals (I like the hissing that replaces the abrupt end to the song on the LP which leads to another chorus on this stage version). For me these religious albums are not that different from what Bob had always done before. Dylan's words are didactic and literal here but the music is an emotional tidal wave which makes everything sort of like a ship on a roiling sea. Other singers would have probably kept this band for as long as they could have. But Dylan was never one to stay in one place.

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Luc Sante - Wikipedia

petercl likes this.
  5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I can't imaging anyone leaving performances like these in a vault for 30 years.

6. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

June 27 appears to be the shortest set of the Earls Court stand, so perhaps overall time was a consideration. I don’t have the set yet, but can anyone attest to whether there is enough space between the two discs for extra songs?

7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

That's our Bob!

8. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

This is an incredible set.

9. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

The two Earl's Court discs tally at 42 and 65 minutes so there would have been plenty of room for tracks from the other London dates, 'Masters of war' in particular.There is plenty of room for extra songs on the Toronto discs too. I can't complain though as the set does not duplicate much from my live show collection, 'Thief on the Cross' being about the only live song that I already had on a sbd recording.Happy listening !

AJK74 and matt79rome89 like this.
  10. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Disc 4 is amazing! Why doesn't the officially released SOL album sound anywhere near as powerful as these outtakes from it?!? Somebody please do a dub mix of this Dead Man, Dead Man outtake.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

And on the only 1978 live version (rather than soundcheck which I haven't committed to memory yet!) there are a few parts where he sings 'Do right with you, too', which I think again changes the meaning of things. That, plus the 1978 arrangement, hint (to this dirty-minded fellow) at little bit of a playful sexual undertone as well. I think the rearrangement benefits the song fitting into a religious-era context than the funkier '78 style. Just my two cents on this.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Really enjoying the Clinton Heylin book. Anyone else?

SteveFff likes this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just listening to Caribbean Wind and I went to the lyrics on bobdylan.com just to follow along. Couldn’t. The song is a total rewrite! And it is so wonderful!

I just love it! Love it!

15. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes. It is good to have an informed long read to accompany the release. Am only a few chapters in but it does appear to be essential reading. There is also an in-depth chronology at the end which will be really useful as I work my way through the set and tie it in with the original album releases etc.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and KDubATX like this.
  16. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Can’t put it down. Using the 79 Warfield, Santa Monica and Tempe shows as background listening. He references these shows at length over the first quarter of the book. Also made me reach for the final 78 show in Hollywood, Fl (erroneously referred to as Miami) as it contains the debut of Do Right to Me, Baby.
    Really enjoying my weekend, although still waiting for my elusive box set to arrive.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and KDubATX like this.
  17. I don't know where it is from. It was posted on the Bob Dylan Facebook page. I don't have the DVD yet.

18. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The Amazon listing has November 28 as the release date, but the book is "in stock". ... And people are apparently reading it now!

(The Canada Amazon page says release is December 8. I'm not sure I want to wait that long, but I'm wary of having more Dylan stuff shipped across the border! (But DHL would not be involved, so ...))

LoveandTheft likes this.
  19. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Sets a new standard in what was already an amazing series: video, live shows, live highlights, outtakes and fantastic books/photos.
    If they match this standard for "Blood and Thunder" then my head may explode.

Yep. Some great background information. Much better than "Judas" imo.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The kindle version is out. I just read the "sample" yesterday.

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The hardcover and paperback are apparently being released simultaneously, with one of them (I forget which) being out now, and the other one later this month. Hardcover is cheaper too, if I recall correctly.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I like that!

23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Yes, it's a great read. As to release dates for it, I bought mine direct from the publisher and it arrived a month or so back (autographed paperback).

24. Clinton's Bank Manager probably :agree:

Best Wishes,
    David

25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"Hysterical" = :)

adriatikfan likes this.