KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I like the black vs. the Fractured Mirror version. But agree w @GodShifter I don't really care for it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

3. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Happy 1K

I don't know brother. If it had been released in that version back then the falsetto alone would have sunk it. Sorry sounds like KISS meets The BeeGees. Some unions are unnatural and should never be. A crime against nature. It's so wrong it sends shivers up my spine.

npgchris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. dadonred

For the KISStorians, when did KISS actually start using DiMarzios? I know Gene knew Mr. DiMarzio, but it's unclear when it contributed to their sound. Are there any old pix of Ace that could help date it? I still don't know how he got some of his tone.

William Smart likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's one from the cruise that KISS never played live as far as I know, check out Bruce's comments at the end.

6. dadonred

7. William Smart

@npgchris my wife liked that version of GOT! I'm not sure if it's because of the quality of the song or because it's Paul, but she liked it. "it's not as bad as you claimed it was! I like it why don't you? " see what I have to endure? Lol and now she is singing it. She's going to sing it all day too. I just know it. See there is a god... Cause he just put me in hell:D

npgchris likes this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Ace used the Ovation Breadwinner for most of the first album.

It says here he put DiMarzios in it sometime in '73 but possibly replaced them before recording.

Ace Frehley | Non-Les Paul Guitars | 1973-1980

Just click where it says 'Breadwinner for detailed info and pics, can't link the page directly for some reason.

And then here it says he got the Les Paul Deluxe in late '73 and put DiMarzios in it before recording Hotter Than Hell.

Ace Frehley Les Paul - History 1973 to 1975

9. dadonred

Paul used a double neck on Detroit Rock City and KOTNW. ?!?!

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The 'God of Thunder' demo is interesting because it really highlights what Bob Ezrin contributed to the song. The tempo change, Gene singing, all the weird noises and effects. In other words most everything that makes it great. I guess he didn't really transform it to the extent he did with Beth but he did a lot.

__
    also...

She

Rock Bottom

Strutter

Mainline

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You are starting a VH Roth years song by song thread? That is great.
    I am starting to wonder if you are God!:D

12. dadonred

Nice. Are there any engineering geeks here who appreciate "reluctance" and pickups in the same sentence:

It is of course perfectly possible that Ace just put some chrome covers on the DiMarzios he had installed. Considering his later reluctance when it comes to the use of pickup covers over his DiMarzios it doesn't seem entirely likely though and a good guess would be that he had something like Gibson PAF's installed for the recording.

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And it will be really good cause we aren't doing For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

14. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

That guitar is gorgeous.

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  15. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

True. It won't be good because of not doing For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. It will be good because we aren't doing any Van Hagar albums.
    Goddamn, those are some hamburgers that need helpers.

17. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Lol. I’m a fan of both Diamond and the Red Rocker, but I’ll crash any VH thread I can get my hands on.

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

One thing about the Paul Stanley version of God of Thunder is it makes you realize what a disappointment the Box Set was because it should have way more interesting things like this.

I don't think I was ever enough of a fan to clue into the fact that Paul wrote this song that became a Gene classic.

Interesting that Bob Ezrin didn't try to horn in on a song writing credit here where he absolutely would have if this demo was written by Joe Schmoe and existed in this same format.

19. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Ok, I know I’ve severely lacked in my posting for a spell, but I’m glad I perused some recent postings in this fine thread because I just COMPLETELY lost my **** listening to the Paul version of “God of Thunder.”

For someone who loves Paul’s writing and voice infinitely more than anyone else in KISS, this version completely corpses the album version because 1) Paul sings it; 2) tempo, tempo, tempo; and 3) those backing vocals.

God DAMN.

11/10 - I am shock and stun

20. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I haven't listened to 5150 since it was probably less than 2 years old (!), but I sure enjoyed it that summer that it came out. It wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't aged particularly well.

That said, I am neither a Diamond Dave lover or hater, nor a Hagar lover or hater. They both have their assets and liabilities, in my mind.

21. William Smart

There's a future for you in politics I dare say. :D or the fire escape trade!

npgchris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Way more information and data on KISS Album Rankings that you could probably ever want!

This thread has been a total blast, and was valuable in several ways. First off, it was great to go through a classic band's entire catalog with a fine-toothed comb, and to assess all of the highs and lows of this diverse songbook. Secondly, it was enlightening having the chance to read a lot of savvy, intelligent people's perspectives on KISS' early, mid-period, and late-era material. Lastly, and best of all, it was so very cool to make the acquaintance of a diverse group of folks, whose cumulative musical knowledge is pretty damn impressive! I consider many of you my friends now, and I look forward to future interactions in this and other threads here. Kudos to you all!
    :tiphat: :cheers:

Now that we've reached the finish line, I'm going to share a few posts that delve into the ranking of KISS' massive catalog. If you find it mind-numbingly boring, my apologies, and hey, you can bail on my ramblings at any point.

First off, I'm going to share the results of a KissFAQ poll from 5 years ago, where Discussion Forum participants shared their rankings of the KISS albums. This list has some value, I think, because it represents a fairly large sampling of die-hard KISS fans' rankings. To the best of my knowledge, it is the most recent poll that has been conducted there (at least in terms of an in-depth one, which had been done a few times prior to this).

I shared this before, back at the beginning of this thread, but here it is again. Gaps in the rankings represent a noteworthy gap in polling results. In other words, albums grouped together finished very close in the final tally. This poll was conducted in December of 2012, and it asked voters to include the 4 solo albums in the rankings. The results -

1. Rock And Roll Over

2. Destroyer
    3. KISS

4. Hotter Than Hell
    5. Love Gun
    6. Creatures Of The Night

7. Dressed To Kill

8. Ace Frehley
    9. Paul Stanley
    10. Revenge
    11. Lick It Up

12. Dynasty
    13. Monster

14. Music From The Elder

15. Unmasked
    16. Sonic Boom

17. Asylum
    18. Animalize
    19. Carnival Of Souls

20. Psycho Circus

21. Gene Simmons
    22. Crazy Nights
    23. Hot In The Shade

24. Peter Criss

Again, albums grouped together finished very close in the final tally. A few votes for or against, and Hot In The Shade could have finished ahead of Gene's solo album, to name one example. Gaps indicate a much larger margin that would have had to have been overcome to move up or down.

Next, I'll share how I voted in that poll 5 years ago, and how I rank their albums now, after this detailed analysis in 2017.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  23. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

:laugh:

It's not that, really, I'm just not super opinionated when it comes to Van Halen. I look forward to Jason's thread, as I expect to learn a lot about the Roth years. And if the discussion continued on after that, I'd stick around. Since I don't think I've even heard any of their albums after the 2nd Hagar one.

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Man I could really rock out if I had that guitar. :love:

25. William Smart

I took forever to warm up to VanHalen and even then it was luke warm. Van Hagar even more so or is that less so.... But you'll never guess who loves Van Hagar... Yup she loves Sammy. Which all goes to prove that opposites do indeed attract. It also frustrates. She absolutely hates King Crimson and wouldn't go with me next Saturday if my life depended on it. She has no future in politics..... Or the fire escape trade, but I'll keep her for another 34 years just to be sure. (I hope none of this makes sense to you or your at least as crazy as me) :D

npgchris likes this.