The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Are we ever likely to see a 'Four from the Vault'?

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

My Magic 8-ball says "Very Doubtful"

US Blues likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, I think Three From The Vault was sort of for old time's sake.

sparkmeister likes this.
  4. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Is that because no multitracks of whole concerts are known to exist or some other reason?

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"From the Vault" is an archive series that is stuck in the '90s, as mentioned above. Three from the Vault was supposed to come out in '93 or '94, but was delayed until 2006.

6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes, bad person.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. bzfgt

OK, I found the same 11/23/1973 as I was listening to last night, 112801, on my hard drive. This is good. I also found 6/24/1973, 11/20/1973, and 11/14/1973 in better form than 30 Trips, all from Charlie Miller.

I also got really excited when I found a CM "fix" of 11/21/1973, but the files are messed up for some reason and Xact won't decode them.

4 out of 5 ain't bad, though.

8. notesofachord

Speaking of Chuck (Miller, that is) - does he have a day job? I mean, I assume this GD mastering engineer stuff is a (serious) hobby, not a job. He sure seems to put a lot of legwork into his hobby. Maybe he's retired and living on a fixed income? Google has like 500 Charles or Charlie Millers, of course.

He's a celebrity within our community, of course, I just don't know much about him. That's probably how it should be anyway, with his handiwork being clandestine and on the DL. Somebody is certainly feeding him nice, low-gen, Grateful Dead tapes and thank goodness for that.

nitsuj likes this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

76-07-18 would make a great multitrack "Four from the vault"

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Tour engineer with Rhythm Devils, Steve Kimock, other similar acts over the years.

nitsuj, US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  11. notesofachord

Makes sense.

12. bzfgt

Now listening to the jazzy Dark Star from 6/24/1973. This was never a favorite, but I haven't heard it in 7 years. Last time out I was more hungry for the spacey stuff (for instance 12/6/73) and probably didn't fully hear this for what it is. It is a great rendition, Phil plays a really cool jazzed-out riff from round 6:30 that may be an allusion, if not a quote, but if it is I don't know to what.

dgwint, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  13. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

That entire show is legit and another that should be considered for release in a world where the powers to be looked between 1978 and 1989.

adamos, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  14. bzfgt

One day we will see that world, SBegonias17. I know we will.

wavethatflag and SBegonias17 like this.
  15. bzfgt

It's pretty darn spacey after the verse, though.

16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Yes, you are. You should enjoy it far more often.

17. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I've always wondered how Charlie does it. He must work with 2 track recordings as he isn't remixing the original multitracks. He must have some notch filtering equalizers to deal with specific tonal ranges. (And I am not sure I even know what that means.) I just am interested in his process. And God Bless him for all he does!!!

I do remember him from Kimock's band in the late 90's. I believe he was part of a krewe who used to record Steve with two mics in a V on-stage. I got in the loop for some of those back in the day and they were the most amazing non-soundboard recordings I think I have ever heard.

nitsuj, lucan_g, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  18. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

DaP 24 was okay. Truckin>TOO was a bit of a disappointment though. I never get too excited about a really long TOO. Post '69 I loose interest in that tune.:hide:

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That riff is the so-called Elastic Ping Pong jam and it is the genesis of KSM/STDOMTT. On 6/24/73, it starts out in 6 but Phil works it into 4 just before the 8 minute mark. You can hear other versions of this from late '72 through '73, but 6/24/73 is probably the most fully realized before it disappeared and reappeared on 3/23/75 as a prototype KSM (6/24/73 even includes the resolution to A Major that we hear on KSM). See TOO from 11/17/72 (DaP 11) at ~8:03-8:33, then again around 9:00 and 10:20; DP 28, 2/26/73 (10:10-16:14) in 5 then in 6 starting at 11:10 of Dark Star; and 2/28/73 (4:42-6:00) of TOO in 5. Various incarnations of the jam are in 4, 5, 6 or 7; KSM is in 7.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think they are talking about the full hour or so sequence they had plotted out, rather than just Estimated, which they played almost every night in '77. Perhaps the best second set of '77, I love that Lakeland show.

21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Agreed. But there's already a very decent, erm *cough, cough* "UK Import" 3CD of this show in my collection.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Still no Dead listening (been on a KISS and Stones kick all week) but I am finally catching up on my Dead downloading tonight. Got about 25 shows from etree downloading.

I'm at the point where I don't care what year it is, if a new transfer appears and it's either Charlie Miller, Seamons, or an excellent recording I don't already have I download it.

:)

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Feh. That version of 18 July 1976 is the circulating radio source that one can get for free. What sits in the Vault is Holy Grail level stuff- a multitrack recording that, with Keith mixed properly, will be just exactly perfect.

24. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

What is your favourite Dead show? Or at least one of your favourites?

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

5/22/77

That has it all for me. Fantastic energy, X Factor galore, a nearly-perfect (for my taste) setlist, perfect renditions....

:)