G. Harrison's "Only A Northern Song": did the other Beatles really sabotage it (random psych noise)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Indeed, 26 April 1964.

ParloFax likes this.
  2. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Today, I was driving with the wonderful 1999 stereo remix of "Only A Northern Song" playing. I never get tired of listening to that mix of such a cool, underrated tune. It would have fit perfectly on "Sgt. Pepper".

3. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Wow.. that really was helpful... his parents speak with absolute clarity! Very Irish inflected accents like I guess they all did. George sounds like them in his Anthology interviews. I guess the exaggerated "Beatles accents" are a function of being young guys talking fast and in character than anything else!

4. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Gotta love Mr. Harrison flashing that "smile that brought the ladies a-runnin'" on stage. Go, Mr. Harrison!!!

marmalade166 likes this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

But wasn't it written while the London Symphony Orchestra was waiting patiently to go home??? :)

6. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

They used it for the psychedelic adventure "Yellow Submarine". It's a bit more cacophonic than the structured psych on Sgt. Pepper.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Is the root of the ill will known?
    Did George steal a digestive biscuit from Geoff?

Keith V likes this.
  8. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I read Emerick's book, I didn't think Emerick was particularly ill disposed to George. He did recount some incidents where George had trouble getting a guitar part down--I recall he wrote that there was some tension when George took a long time to get down the solo for "I'll follow the sun," and apparently there was a general consensus that the song could have been finished much earlier if George had let Paul take the solo.

Apparently George was a big distant towards Emerick because he perceived him as being someone Paul brought in, and George had gotten on well with Norm Smith.

Tom Campbell and DTK like this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

He also laments that Paul would have played the electric piano better than John on (I believe) both Come Together and I Am The Walrus.

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Considering Paul came up with the piano part for Come Together, I would agree.

11. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I love Only A Northern Song in all its misanthropic psychedelic glory :p

Although since hearing the Anthology take I've sped up the YS version to match, I think it sounds much better at that speed

So where would YOU place it on Sgt Pepper?

Keith V likes this.
  12. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love that the chaos manages to be in the same key as the song. Very clever. :-D

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think right after With a little Help. Get Ringo and George out of the way and let the real Beatles sing the rest of the album :)

(I'm kidding. But Northern Song would still be a great third song on Pepper)

No Bull, RAJ717 and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I wish a bass/drums/keyboards/brass/glockenspiel mix (with no vocals) was made available on the recent Sgt. Pepper super deluxe release....

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I wish ANY mix (of any version) was made available on the recent Sgt. Pepper super deluxe release... ;)

MisterPleasant, 905, Gila and 3 others like this.
  16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Totally. That track turned me on to Indian music and also introduced me to the wonderful philosophy behind it which, to me, seems pretty sensible stuff :)

Brother Maynard and Tuco like this.
  17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It was a perfectly obvious thing to do to include a February ‘67 version of the track and Giles’ justification (that it wasn’t on this album so didn’t belong on the reissue) is nonsense. It is the only song from these sessions that was seriously worked on and not included on the album or on a contemporaneous single, but which was ultimately finished and included on another album. It is a glaring omission.

I can imagine a deluxe Help! not including an early Wait for the same reason.

Gila, Arnold Grove and paul62 like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, it was a mistake to not include some version of "It's Only A Northern Song". Oh well...

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I always thought this was an awful song. The only bad Beatles written song in my eyes. The stereo version I recently heard for the first made it tolerable, but the song still sucks.
    Also, really? How can anybody possibly think Within You Without You is objectively worse than this waste of space.

20. Onder

Onder Senior Member

According to both John and Paul, it is Paul who plays the electric piano on the record (Come Together).
    So another bitter nonsese from Emerick.

Ondra

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yer right, of course- both "Within You Without You" and "Only A Northern Song" should have been on Pepper:righton:

22. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

No thanks. Martin was right when he made the decision to exclude it due to how unfitting it would've been.

Gila likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

It fits perfectly on Yellow Submarine. Always loved it, still do.

And agreed...really out of tune or out of place for Peppers. As it is, Peppers is seamless and fine just as it is. Within You Without you makes for a brilliant opener for side two...a kind of mystical intermission that links both sides...after the "intermission" it's back to the show! Love it.

And the inclusion of Penny Lane /Strawberry Fields would have made it a hits album, and not an album's album. That is the mystique...no radio hits.

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Just re-read this entire thread. I have Geoff's book as well.

I think the way to reconcile Geoff's opinions is to understand his bromance with Paul. Ultimately, by extension, we're looking at the band through Paul's eyes. Paul could be frustrated with George's relative limits, so Geoff is frustrated, too.

For me, when I apply that decoder ring, it all makes sense.

Gila and marmalade166 like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

And to the OP's original question, I think the band worked way too hard on the tune to think it was sabotage. All the effects sound great, and I'm always impressed by the application of echo in particular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.