The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm back and forth on official releases from the 80s. On one side, I would like the Daves/Dicks to stand as a complete history of the band, so some more 80s should be included. On the other hand, I rarely reach for the 80s shows I already have, and there would definitely be a sound quality issue.

bmoregnr and RockRoom like this.
  2. HighThyme

HighThyme Forum Resident

Presumably it was just among the tapes in her possession when she had to put everything in storage. She contacted the band before they were auctioned, but they weren't interested. Don't forget, most of the tapes she'd recorded were still in the band's possession at that point, and weren't part of the storage locker auction. There wasn't much need or effort to keep track of tapes then.

budwhite likes this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In fact the tapes were not in the band's possession, only Betty had copies, which is why DL2 often referenced recordings that were not in the Vault, eg. Cornell. One of the reasons Betty had the tapes in the first place, from what I recall, is that she paid for the black tape stock because the band would not give her the money for tape.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah dude cut that out. Lol

I know you do a thing... that's cool and all but if it takes you longer than that year to do a year what’s the point?

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

But they aren't really using HDCD. Like most "HDCD's" in general, and like (by now) most of the Dead's "HDCD's", the only relation to HDCD is that the mastering was done in the Pacific Microsonics DAW, which adds the HDCD "flag" by default, even if no HDCD features are implemeneted. And all the Dead releases from 2015 on, and about half of the ones before that, don't use any HDCD features.

6. US Blues

Thank you, it's useful to have these technical details to guide our understanding of official releases.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well the Charlie Miller version put out there in January this year is a lot better than DiP 32 if you ask me. You can sample it here: Alpine Valley Music Theatre on 1982-08-07 DiP 21 is pretty grim sounding as well IMHO although I don't think there is anything better necessarily.

I guess that is what I am saying, why would she have any of Bear's tapes, he seemed pretty keen on keeping his in some orderly fashion. I agree with the rest of what you are saying, tapes and the vault really were not a high priority at all until maybe the 90s it seems.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. US Blues

If you're needing a patched SBD of 28 June 1974, you'll find it at the usual venue.

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

It's this thing in my head - I have all these shows and it's a way to listen to them in an organized manner. I could always do them randomly, but I'm one of those people that, when I'm in the mood for something, I indulge to the fullest. So If I'm in the mood for 1976, the logical thing is "might as well use this to my advantage and check out the next show I haven't heard" etc. I'm sure you get what I mean.

Of course I listen to "random" shows all the time, but I love the historical aspect of following from one show to the next. I'm a big history buff and that's one of the biggest attractions for me of live music - the whole "this happenned on this day at this place in this year".

I'm actually just doing 1976 right now because I got to a certain point in 1982 (which I was/am marathoning) where I need to download more shows to continue, but I don't have the time to download them yet. But I had all of 1976 already and it's one of my favorite years, so I figured why not. :)

I've done a few Frank Zappa tours this way and the 1988 one in particular was extremely cool to do. It took place during an election year and every show was like a flash of that day's particular scandal or news headline and the evolution of the country/election from show to show. Really cool to follow.

But of course, I am known to be insane. ;)

10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I wouldn’t change a thing kind sir. I hope my comment didn’t come across as criticism; I was just trying to help clarify the misunderstanding by pointing out that in the context of that particular reply (with the Star Wars joke) I thought that last line was meant to be funny too. While apparently not intended as such it came across as a light hearted and clever reference to the DaP 24 bass situation :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  11. warewolf95

Wave, if you change a damn thing I will beat you. ;)

nitsuj, notesofachord, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  12. US Blues

Whoa, now you're really talking like a proper trucker. Or spending too much time with your Uncle.

13. US Blues

Also appearing today- a recording of just Bobby's guitar track from 19 August 1989. The whole show, all that can be heard is Bobby in stereo. The crew was checking for distortion in his rig so they made a recording, it's fascinating to hear him play Jack Straw as I am now.

14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I find this strangely interesting. Will track down.

US Blues likes this.
  15. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Gans played the Weir only feed of TN Jed on the last XM Tales show - it was a great, interesting listen. Need to track down the rest of it.

nitsuj and Crispy Rob like this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I know. Im a Zappateer ya know.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Just EQ'ing and improperly Dolby decoded recording; anybody can take their own DP 32 and fix it (I mentioned that to Charlie, and he put his fix out there)

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Nah, I'm not that sensitive. Often a chronic self-doubter, maybe, but not sensitive .
    Do you ever get concerned that if you listen to too much Zappa, all of the taudry bedroom activities he makes fun of suddenly seem OK to participate in? Because, when you said you'd beat me, I'm not so sure I'd be adverse to that.:cop::yikes::help:

WHOA. TMI. OK, I'm out.

Just kidding. Yeah, that's it, I'm kidding.

In my defense, for work, I just wrote up a domestic violence case, so, I don't know, clearly it's infected my thinking here.

19. warewolf95

Crap, there's a number of us here that I forget about. :)

pbuzby, galeans, and a number more. What an amazing site that is. One of the best on the web. :)

vudicus, budwhite and Instant Dharma like this.
  20. warewolf95

;)

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'll take a show that is heavy with superb Jerry ballads over a show that is heavy with Brent songs and/or Bobby "blues" songs any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

22. warewolf95

You're not wrong about that. It's not the songs themselves that are the problem - it's the drudgery of having so many ballads and not much else. But again, that's just me. :)

23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

1978 has taught me never that you can't go by the setlist when evaluating Grateful Dead shows.

The point of a ballad is to be absorbed by the story. Me and My Uncle, Jackaroe, and Terrapin Station are ballads, in spite of being uptempo.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Grateful Dead Live at Fox Theatre on 1972-10-18

Set 2

Playin' In the Band >
    Drums >
    Dark Star >
    Morning Dew >
    Playin' In the Band
    Deal
    Promised Land
    Brokedown Palace
    One More Saturday Night
    Casey Jones

Identifier gd1972-10-18.139725.sbd.miller.sirmick.remaster.flac16
    Lineage Dat > Samplitude Professional v10.22 > FLAC
    Location St. Louis, MO
    Run time 192:56.21
    Source SBD > Master Reel > Dat
    Transferred by Charlie Miller and SIRMick

Pitch corrected, along with some other small fixes.
    All time great second set.
    If not released as a Fox theatre box, I predict it will be a Dave's pick within a year or two.

A rare soundmix where Weir is louder than Garcia. I can't complain about that, Weir was great in '72

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

all well and good, but why are you shouting it?